Jury Duty

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During my working life I've been called for jury duty 4 or 5 times. Each time I have explained to them that I can't serve from April through November because of my work, concrete construction. I had a small crew and it would stop work for all of us, adversely effecting my and the crews income. Work was mostly shut down during the winter. I did have to serve twice, once during a winter and once since retiring. Both ended with a plea agreement and the jury wasn't called in to serve. I still wish one of them would have gone to jury trial just for the life experience.

I heard something one time about jury duty.... I hope I never go to trial because the idea of having my fate in the hands of someone who could not figure out how to get out of jury duty scares the crap out of me.
That said nobody really wants me on their jury....

I could just tell them Im voting guilty before the trail ever starts. LOLOLOL

Jury duty is mandatory because of the Constitution, 'trial by peers'. In Europe, no such trials occur; decisions are made by a or several judges. We have a Republic, be proud of it.
The right to be judged by a jury of your peers comes from English common law. It originated in the custom of Germanic tribes to have men of good character investigate and judge crimes.

A few years ago i went for jury duty. Cousin is a 30 year sheriff, hubby drove tow for police, i worked at a college. All reasons to be dismissed. Nope. The trial took three weeks and was a blatent gang murder of a diesel truck driver, shot in the back 3 times in my cousin's district. I was so sickened by the utter stupidity of these illegal gangsters. At the end of the trial, the gang was waiting for us in the parking lot. We were escourted out by police to our vehicals. I spent six months worried sick before we got rid of the car and moved. Never. Again. Gang members are not my peers.

I never did get why so many people want out of doing jury duty
I always go as I have a home base, but some may not wish to participate for fear of convicting the wrong person.
A small percentage of those charged will be wrongly convicted, (new DNA evidence has released many from prison). I wonder how a jury member feels for voting guilty and someone wrongly spends 20 years in prison.
If you say that you would never vote to convict, then maybe you will be turning a serial killer loose.
Pretty big responsibility. You could end up feeling guilty for a wrongful conviction or release.

I just told them on the phone that I have vehicle issues and who knows what days I may and may not be able to make it... The county clerk asked me for it in writing and she excused me... It is not hard to get out of

I've been summoned multiple times, and gone through voir dire two or three times, but never have sat on a jury. For some reason they don't seem to like my mentioning have read and agreeing with the Jurors Handbook. Just knowing of Part 1. is all you need: https://caught.net/juror.htm
It is a shame they don't want people serving who know the true purpose of trial by jury! Of course, if the trial is about something important, like protecting the 1st and 2nd amendments, I just might forget to mention the handbook, but no, so far I've only been invited to hear about drugs and drunks on trial!

I may just tell them man this is Texas, lets just forget the trial and get right to the Hanging!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOL

"The colonel is abroad, killing commies and ensuring the safety of our Great Nation... and will be delighted to participate as a juror. The colonel is quite persuasive; you can expect your 'guilty!' finding with a minimum of deliberation."

I used to live in one city for 29 years. During that time I received no less than 4 jury summons. The first one I would have experienced a financial hardship if I were to serve on a jury. The other 3 times I was called for jury duty I was “excused for cause.” In my life I, or a member of my family have been a victim of the crime I was to seated as a juror. The cases I was excused for cause involved a strong arm robbery, assault with a deadly weapon, home burglary, assault & battery, grand theft auto and manslaughter. You could say that no attorney wants me on their jury. My loss I guess!

I will warn anyone that thinks they can get out of jury duty by stating that everyone is guilty, you can be held for the duration of the trial. I had jury duty and one woman had the attitude if the defendant was charged, they were guilty. After the judge questioned her about her ability to be impartial, and she said no, he had her sit as an observer for the duration of the trial ( almost a week). Bill C

for any one interested in the Johnny Depp- Amber Heard case. this link is for Mr. A Romero's Deposition by Zoom. he is in his car, very funny to watch. but it shows us all the courts have changed. he was called on to support Ms Herds side of the case. here is the link

BTW do you have to serve

I'll share my most recent story. First, like a few others have commented, I'm a fan of showing up for Jury Duty, I think it's what makes America America and am happy to do my part. Also, I'm deaf, so require some accommodations.

In 2021 I got called for Jury Duty. I contacted them and they initially delayed my time because they couldn't find an ASL Interpreter in time(due to Covid). They were very friendly and happy to help. They recalled me again in 2022. I reached out again about an Interpreter and never heard back(no response, despite 3 tries over about a month). Well, I want to do my duty, so I wandered across several states to show up. I arrived on the appointed time and date, at the right place, just like the summons said I was supposed to. They didn't have an Interpreter and seemed confused I even showed up. Anyways, they excused me for real this time, and apologized for ignoring my attempts to reach them.

Anyways, for the OP, I'm glad you don't have far to travel and I hope it's a good experience for you!