Jury Duty

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
How do you handle Jury Duty when out on the road?

I just got a summons for Duty at Livingston TX.

You can be excused for a good reason. Search their site for instructions and the excuses they will accept.

I did see Out on the Road as being one.

Buy I am only about 70 miles away, but I could have been in Q or someplace.

I just hope its something juicy Like a Murder/Suicide/Love Triangle.

Show up and during jury selection give an answer that shows that you have a preformed opinion. One day and you're done.

"Juicy" trials can take a while.

Livingston, are you an Escapee?

I have some Tee Shirts, hats, and masks that are NOT politically correct, that should get me off Jury Duty.

How do you handle Jury Duty when out on the road?

I just got a summons for Duty at Livingston TX.
Two ways: on line, by letter. I have done both, each method works. There is usually in the form online for 'remarks' as to why you are by circumstance unable to fulfill jury duty. The moderator will then return a message as to whether your reason is accepted, or not accepted. Jury duty is mandatory because of the Constitution, 'trial by peers'. In Europe, no such trials occur; decisions are made by a or several judges. We have a Republic, be proud of it.

I had my doctor write a permanent excuse. I really do have a bad back and it can be difficult to sit for long times without taking stretching breaks. Being in pain means not being foc used on the court procedings.

Weak bladder would also recuse you as does bad short term memory, etc. The older you get the more likely you are to have a legitimate medical excuse.

In the movie Runaway Jury there's a pretty funny scene where the John Cusack character spins out a ridiculous excuse to get out of jury duty (he's secretly trying to get chosen) and really ticks off the judge. A very fine movie. Gene Hackman makes a brilliant bad guy. The only movie in which he and Dustin Hoffman co-starred.

Seriously, if I was asked and didn't have a genuine hardship, I wouldn't fight it. It's a chance to see something you don't ordinarily get to see. Plus, it's like voting; however annoying and sometimes futile seeming it's still a great privilege, and we do want this circus to keep limping along at least until we can come up with a better one, right?

Show up and during jury selection give an answer that shows that you have a preformed opinion.
I was at jury selection and the defense lawyer advised us that his client wasn't required to testify at all, and if he did not... would this have any affect whatsoever on our opinion of his guilt or innocence? Everyone said "no"... but when I was asked I said "of course I'd like to hear his side of the story, and if he doesn't testify I'd have to wonder, why?" That got me an immediate dismissal.

it looks like you will be selected for duty to me, if you do not have a medical condition to not serve. since COVID hit us all things have changed. court can now be trial by Zoom calls. my last 4 court hearings were by Zoom where i sat in my house my lawyer was in his office and her and her lawyer were in his office, the Judge was in his courtroom office. so good luck with getting out of your duty. yes even jury trials are being held using Zoom.

I never did get why so many people want out of doing jury duty. It a rare opportunity to participate in our civic society. It’s also called “duty” for a reason. I mean, if a person really cannot do it for real and compelling reasons, that’s one thing. But to try and manufacture a reason because of not wanting to do it seems wrong to me.
Perhaps just another instance of me following my different drummer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just as a thought experiment, do the people who believe it’s ok to dodge jury duty also think it’s ok to dodge a draft?

Another angle to look at it from is that when you’re called for jury duty and can but don’t serve, someone else down the list serves in your place. Is it right, or even ok to shrug off civic duty to have it land on the next person’s shoulders?

Not trying to start a war, just trying to understand other’s points of view.

Like I say I just hope its something juicy!!!! And I get payed $6 a day!

And Im close enough where I can show up, if I was out in Q or somewhere it would be different.

Thinking about this some more, it is important to keep in mind that everyone accused of a crime is not guilty.

Without starting a pile-on, here, if you have never had experience with dishonest law enforcement and others in the prosecutorial lane, trust me that they exist.

A jury trial may be the first level playing field that the guilty as well as the innocent have for allegations against them to be objectively judged.

Take yourself proudly to jury duty, if you can, as you may help convict a criminal or free an innocent person.

The original post here was what to do if called and you are out of state. I am only about 70 miles from where the summons is, but I could have been in Q or several states away at the time. Also I use a mail forwarding service so I don't get mail everyday, and I could have received the notice when it was to late to reply back.

I did see Out on the Road as being one.

Buy I am only about 70 miles away, but I could have been in Q or someplace.

I just hope its something juicy Like a Murder/Suicide/Love Triangle.
I need to correct this post. I don't see being Out on the Road as an option, for not showing up.

In Europe, no such trials occur; decisions are made by a or several judges.
Both judges or juries can be biased against a defendant.

So one system isn't necessarily superior.

Also 'Europe' would not have any one system but many different systems.