Itsa What?????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:huh:   My 1998 V6 Safari Hightop is a Glaval Autoform conversion....so what?  I'm about all googled out trying to learn about this van.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of conversion van or know someone who has/had one?  Does Glaval have a good rep.?  Anyone have any websites I should check out?

Thanks in advance

Jewellann

:) OP,  Thanks for all the links.  I'll check'em all out this evening.  Spent yesterday trying to find a dentist that wasn't closed until after the first of January.  Seems I need another root canal.  Well at least after 2 types of antibiotics and 2 types of pain meds I've quit crying and can handle tapioca, yogurt etc.

Thanks Again

Jewellann

Glaval is a hometown company here in Elkhart. Or it was...
Mark III and Eclipse are now the continuation company that was once Glaval.

*source-daughter of one of Glaval's start-up people sitting next to me.

Why does it always have to happen right before a holiday?

Root canal? No way, not this child, I just have em extracted, every one I know who has a root canal done, the tooth is toast in another 10 or so years, any way
Drill em, Fill em, or yank em, that's my moto

Art W said:
Root canal? No way, not this child, I just have em extracted, every one I know who has a root canal done, the tooth is toast in another 10 or so years, any way
Drill em, Fill em, or yank em, that's my moto

:-/ I would usually agree with you except this would leave a gap almost in the center of my  :D   If it settles down and I can control the pain maybe it can wait.  I need solar more than a tooth.  It's true what you say re: root canals.  most of my missing were rotter rooted in 1998.

Jewellann

I also agree with that root canal advice. I paid a pretty penny for two of them, only to have the teeth yanked two years later. The two teeth with the root canals never felt right after either. Not til they were pulled.

Jewellann, I hope you find the dentist or the pain goes away. Have as Merry a Christmas as you can.Rob

:huh:  My "new to me" van sure has lotsa winders.  Eight of the rascals.  The 4 on the sides have pleated blinds in good shape.  The blinds on the rear doors are shot.  At $ Tree I found a big piece of foam board that is black on both sides.  It will trim down to fit the rear door windows.  While I was back there I stuck the board behind the blind on a side window and it fit great!  I'll need to add another piece to it to cover the whole window.  So I've been thinking.....I HEARD THAT!    Anyways I'm thinking that if I cut the foam panels from side to side just high enough to fold up and not block the little slider windows that are the lower part of 3 of the windows.  Then I could use duct tape like a long piano hinge to fold up the bottom portion of the panel for ventilation.  

Besides blacking out the windows would the foam board have any insulation capability?

I've also found a big Jayco conversion on a GMC Truck...at least that's what the factory signage on the rig sez however it's obviously a van.  It's to be crushed soon and from outside the fence I see.....back door spare tire rack, door ladder, vent up top, 2 shorty pieces on the back of the hightop that look like a mini roof rack, shiny chrome bumper.  Any ideas what my wish list should look like?  I haven't found the spare tire for the Safari.   Anyone know where it might be?   I wonder if the front window motors would fit the Safari?

Can anyone recommend a good solar co. here in lower Alabama?  I have a list of what I need to do a portable solar set up.  I don't know where/what to do it on The Alinner TT or the Safari.  The Safari has a place for another big battery under the hood,  I wonder about a deep cycle battery there & wired into the alternator to charge it for a house battery for the rear of the Safari.  The Aliner is rigged for DC and AC and has a vented battery box under one if the seats.  It also has either a inverter or a controller, I'm not sure which.

Decisions...Decisions

As Always any hints....help.....suggestions are deeply appreciated

Jewellann

IIRC the spare on a Safari is under, like on a pickup, but I could be wrong
I'd talk to the crusher re the bits you think you might like from that other van, if possible

Every Road Leads Home said:
I also agree with that root canal advice.  I paid a pretty penny for two of them, only to have the teeth yanked two years later.  The two teeth with the root canals never felt right after either.  Not til they were pulled.

ArtW said:
Either way, hope you are out of pain soon

Gunny said:
Jewellann, I hope you find the dentist or the pain goes away. Have as Merry a Christmas as you can.Rob

Thanks Guys,  I actually had a Taco and a Burrito late last night.  It was kinda messy not having a tortilla or taco shell to hold'em together.

I found the only dentist in town that wasn't closed for the holidays.  One Xray and 4 scrips later I nearly lost all my manners at Ride Aid.  In the drive thru I told the Tech what was going on and her response was come back in 2 hours.  WHAT!!  "Well if you come in the store it will only be 10 to 20 min.  I told her "I'm coming in and you will not like me when I get there".  I explained to her that some people in the drive thru may be too sick to wait 2 hrs for their meds.  Also that every step I took was like a nail stuck into my face and I'd like to know who at the corporate level had determined their policy on drive thru can wait while walk ins get immediate service.  My meds and I were gone in 5min.  Seems she was part of the store management team....she never even asked me to complete a "How are we doing" survey...go figure.

So antibiotics are working and pain meds too although I cut them in 1/2 as I can stand a lower dose if I'm real quite and still.  Queenie is resting too.  When I'm in bad shape she sticks close to me and constantly checks on me.  Which is a good thing...mostly...Ever have 13+lb Chihuahua do a happy dance on you until you wake up and say   " I'm OK, I'm OK now go to sleep"  :D  I luv my Queenie

Happy Holidays to everyone and next year will be better   {If it's not I filing a grievance}

Jewellann

ArtW said:
IIRC the spare on a Safari is under, like on a pickup, but I could be wrong
I'd talk to the crusher re the bits you think you might like from that other van, if possible

:huh: This Safari is so low to the ground!  I need a mirror on a stick like they use to check under vehicles for bombs and stuff.

The "donor" van is at a paint and body shop.  The owner told me right before the toothache he'll sell me anything I want off of it and that he has 200 vehicles to crush.  I wonder what his prices are like. Do you have any idea what some of these parts should be at a wrecking yard?  I have no clue.  I intend to be there first thing Monday morning.  His van last tagged 2008, I could see that from the fence line.  On my list is also a swiv-a-ly base thingy for the front passenger seat.

Jewellann, as you look online for a trusty dentist and one has a big ad that says "Painless Dentestry" do not believe them. My old dentist retired ( DAMN HIM) and I found one who promised he would be gentle. LIES I tell you all lies. Hurt like hell and bled like a stuck pig for a week (the affects of coumadin). Next one I'm gonna grab his nuts and tell him if he hurts me I will hurt him. May work?

Merry Christmas. I have taken my sleeping potions and time for Santa....Rob

Gunny said:
Jewellann, as you look online for a trusty dentist and one has a big ad that says "Painless Dentestry" do not believe them. My old dentist retired ( DAMN HIM) and I found one who promised he would be gentle. LIES I tell you all lies. Hurt like hell and bled like a stuck pig for a week (the affects of coumadin). Next one I'm gonna grab his nuts and tell him if he hurts me I will hurt him. May work?

If I come to Texas for dental work would you go with me?  That way if we don't like his attitude you can hold him by the gonads while I go at him with that spit sucking tool. :D

You shouldn't make me smile like that, it hurts and it hurts. :p

Jewellann

Gunny said:

There is really nothing better than when you find a great dentist.  Sounds like you did and he retired.....damn him is right!

I drive 2.5 hrs to see my dentist, found him when I lived near Cape Cod in Mass.  Don't know how he does it, but you barely know he's working in your mouth.  

And Jewellann.....YES YES YES on the drive thru pharmacy.  They must have that same policy everywhere.  I not only get mad at the pharmacy for not giving drive thru patients any preference and I get mad at people who use the drive thru who don't truly need it!