ISO East Coaster/Friendly/(Prius) Folks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AliceFayDC

Reaction score
Hello! (please read until you reach the  :heart: ) 
-- I'm starting from scratch. I want to dip my toe in with some car camping, this Spring, with the hope to become a part-timer in a year or so and, if all goes well, eventually become a full timer. I’m 56, on SSDI, thus a very low income. 
-- I’m looking for folks, on the east coast, who may help me with set up or who I may join for short car camping trips. And/or, if you’re passing by, and can stop near DC, I’d love to visit you! I may be able to help you find a place to camp free or cheap, near Berkley Springs WV, Harrisburg PA or closer to DC (Greenbelt, MD has campsites) or stealth in the city.
-- I want to car camp with a tent that attaches to the back of my car. Right now I have a Honda Fit. I haven’t camped since I was a kid! Due to health conditions and medications I’m heat and sun sensitive so, eventually, I want a Prius because of what I’ve seen about how it may be used as a generator to run a/c to keep cool and it’s fuel economy so I may travel more and further.  
-- My First Priorities/Investments: Setting up a comfortable sleeping space in my car; transporting water (drinking water without using plastic); travel potty; window screens/insulation; enough power for a fan; creating a way to hide, or install a small safe for, a camera and misc. and choosing a tent that may be connected to my car that may be unhooked to leave at a camp site, so I don’t have to pack it away to take day trips.
-- Goals: Adventure; Find A Tribe; Attend Concerts; Improve My Physical and Mental Health; Learn Learn Learn; Give Back and so much more!
:heart: Peace!

Hi - and welcome.

I did car camping in my Prius for a while so fully understand the advantage of being able to run the A/C overnight. 

I do agree in getting a tent, but am not sure about trying to attach it to the car.  One of the advantages of car-camping is having a shell around you while you sleep.  I wouldn't want to leave the rear open at night because that would make it less secure.   I also used the rear hatch much like an awning so it would create a shade that I could set my chair in during the afternoon.

However, I would get a tent so that I had 1) a private place as a bathroom and 2) a place to cook which would keep gnats out.

Welcome Alice to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Welcome Alice to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  highdesertranger

Thanks, yes I have looked at those, and I plan to just read other posts (maybe find answers to questions I have) before I chime in. I haven't even been able to check out many of the forums, much less the subjects! I need to make more searches, especially for some woman's forums, more east coasters and Prius recommendations. Unfortunately many of the people I found, that I'd like to ask questions, are no longer active on the site. I want to go to the Woman's RTR, but I blew a ton of money (and went into debt) making conventional trips this year, so not this January... For now I'm starting with research and learning about myself (Do I have a strong enough desire and the fortitude to join the lifestyle?). Peace.  :shy:

Hi AliceFay - welcome to the forum! You're on the opposite side of the country from me. Not sure I'll ever make it that far east again. Time will tell.

I'm also starting out in a car - a 2005 Ford Taurus! I'm planning to upgrade to a van early next year, maybe in the springtime.

Life's an adventure! Let's see what happens.

Welcome AliceFay!

I am still a few years from full-timing when I retire, but I am a minivan dweller on weekends and road trips and use a Rightline Gear SUV tent for a base camp when I camp in one place longer than a few days. I use it in state park camp grounds so I am in a secure area and don't mind leaving the rear door up inside the tent. The no-see-um screen windows of the tent provide ventilation for the cargo area of my RAV4 where I sleep on a cot and have a camping potty. I also put screens over the car doors and lower those windows enough for fresh air (but not enough for a hand or a raccoon to enter). I have a 12-volt fan that I power with a rechargable jump starter/air compressor. Your plans are do-able and you will be fine. Go for it!

Hi AliceFayDC

I traveled living in a Prius for 3 separate years 4 months at a time. I did a lot of engineering to live in the Prius, but many do it with very little changes. Check out my blog macaloney.blogspot.com starting with my Prius purchase on 7/14 any it may address some questions you have.

I wanted to be self contained so no tent on Prius. I set up to drive at a moments notice.

Best wishes