ISO Beautiful MINIvan Conversion Inspiration

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lana_starr

Reaction score
I'm in the process of reconciling my desires for a full sized van with the reality that my budget is more appropriate for a minivan. 

The big thing I'm getting hung up on is the sense of beauty, home and permanence that I see more frequently in the larger vans - the handcrafted build outs, custom walls, decoration and sense of style. What I'm finding for minivans tends to be more temporary and utility (plastic tubs, army-style cots, etc.). 

I know that there have got to be some extremely beautiful minivans out there, though! Custom headliners, wood stoves, the works. One example I have found is this fabulous kitchen this woman's dad custom built for her: 

So, if you have a link to a really beautiful minivan conversion pretty please share it here! Extra appreciation if it's kitted out for cold weather - I'm VT based.

This is one of the best that I have seen.
Minivan video tour.

But you are right, not enough room or budget for the full custom decorator style in a minivan.

There are lots of others with modular units that you install and remove on YouTube. Keep searching!

Or maybe you need to be the trail Blazer and be first to have it on the cover of Architectural Digest? ?

I recently purchased a 2018 Ford Transit Connect Passenger Minivan for traveling and will be having some type of kit made for it.
Hope to read more replies.

CG

(Moderator edit to eliminate links as new members are not permitted to include links until they have made at least 10 posts)

I can't imagine anyone living in a mini van full time. Then again...I completely understand anyone doing what they need to do. Still figuring out to make the most of my space in my Chevy cargo van!

@Minivanmotoman - that IS pretty sweet, thanks for the link! It will help inspire my magazine cover worthy build. :p

@Cinnamon Girl - it happens. Thanks for the comment! Don't forget to check out the newbie corner thread for tips and rules - I'm still new enough that I double check it, too!

@Artsyguy - and some people think we're crazy for living in cars at all! There are people in even smaller things too. There's a whole subcommunity of people in Honda Elements, for instance. Check out these for some amazing inspiration:

Smartcar (admittedly a temp camper, but still crazy!)

SUV thing

Man in a minivan - plus two bikes inside with him! This is one of my *favorites* - he just adapted perfectly.

get an astrovan that is a smaller version of a fullsize van in a shorter wheelbase. Once you remove all the rear seats you have lot of space in the back.
I never decorated the inside too much but there is plenty of room to build a bed back there. My advice is to build it as light as possible, instead of wood for paneling I just use rtech foam, lighter and it works, you can reinforce with cardboard. Hotglue gun is your best friend when doing decorating work and lightweight panels.
Use alot of foam on you build, that will help with the cold weather.

@jonyjoe303 I've been looking into astros because they seem like a happy medium, and also because I adore the dutch doors in the back with the hatchback. I haven't had any luck in my price range, though! They seem to be almost as expensive as the bigger vans if you want one that is reliable and without much rust in the NE. :/ If you have any favorite builds though please link! They're similar enough that it could be helpful. :)

Beckyls31 said:
Omg thanks for this! I’ve had a hard time finding minivan builds. So many are cargo vans.

There was a story I had read once about a couple in Japan taking a Mazda minivan all over the country with newspaper cutting to avoid being caught by cops, search and see if that is useful.

Artsyguy said:
I can't imagine anyone living in a mini van full time. Then again...I completely understand anyone doing what they need to do. Still figuring out to make the most of my space in my Chevy cargo van!

+1    My Dodge High Top extended van is too small for my comfort.  I'm working on a Grumman Olson step van with a full size shower, queen bed and more comforts than I can fit in the Dodge.   All this comfort powered by a Cummins 4BT diesel motor and a 4 speed manual transmission.

I honestly don't know how anyone can live in a mini van.

lana_starr said:
@jonyjoe303 I've been looking into astros because they seem like a happy medium, and also because I adore the dutch doors in the back with the hatchback. I haven't had any luck in my price range, though! They seem to be almost as expensive as the bigger vans if you want one that is reliable and without much rust in the NE. :/ If you have any favorite builds though please link! They're similar enough that it could be helpful. :)

The problems I see with the Astro vans are two fold:

1.  The gas mileage is not significantly better than the full size van; and,

2.  Getting in and out of the van is more challenging (driver's position) than most other vans, so any type of disability is greatly magnified in this rig.

There is no reason not to look at the professionals for inspiration. I think Sussex Campervans makes some very impressive little campers. They have quite a few videos and the below couple are just examples. I'm impressed with what they can do with a Nissan 200NV. Those things are nice but also expensive. However most the components they use (sink/range combo, frig, rock and roll bed, pop top) can be purchased separately if you wanted to build one like theirs.

lana_starr said:
I'm in the process of reconciling my desires for a full sized van with the reality that my budget is more appropriate for a minivan. 

Budget is the key.  I have an emergency fund sufficient to replace my 1999 Ford Windstar.  They aren't popular so they are cheap, about $2,000.  For me to upgrade to a $10,000 van I would need twice that to have a sufficient emergency fund.  
I have no fancy build.  I use coat hanger wire and ratchet straps.  I could move all my stuff to another minivan in a day, including solar electric.  If I have a transmission death, more than $1500 or so to fix, it's van replacement time.  A build of great beauty removes that option.

For those that can afford to pay for beauty, modular units don't have to look cheap.

@66788  The gas mileage is a great point, and something I've been considering. On the other hand I do think that the Safari/Astros are significantly larger than a Toyota Sienna (the other vehicle I'm considering) and built on an AWD truck chassis which is handy. The disability comment is a great point, too!! I do have to say though, it's not particularly pleasant to hear it implied that minivans, which people do live in, are somehow unimaginable. Plenty of people can't imagine living in any kind of vehicular dwelling, but those in our forum clearly have broader minds. ^.^

@Urban Fisher . You're so right, those are really neat! I have a fixation with captain chairs, so I'm guaranteed to like any build that includes them. :p I also really like removable modular builds. It ties into what @Trebor English says about being adaptable, which has a lot to admire. <3 I think my personal ultimate goal would be the comment of @John61CT - something modular with a sense of beauty. It seems to me that it's really about making something that feels like a secure home to whomever is living there.

I'm making a pinterest board of pretty or interesting van ideas. It's weird, because a lot of the examples there seem like accessory dwellings (double meaning intended - accessories to people's lives, rather than a core focus). However, talk about professionals. All the professional stylists and photographers are on there, and they do know how to make things pretty. :) Anyone know if posting links to pinterest boards is permitted? I would love to share what I'm finding without copy and pasting a bunch of picture-less links.

One of the best things you can do for "living", when you are limited in space, is to adopt the "world" as your second room.

Invest in a sturdy (high quality), portable canopy shelter. It would be a bonus if it had removable netting. It makes a great kitchen-area, porch, and shower area. (where you can setup an enclosed shower tent, inconspicuously. Unless you are in the middle of a Walmart parking-lot.)

Another idea, which few utilize, is a simple canvas cover that spreads over the open back doors. (Even a beach-umbrella, mounted to one door is enough shelter while working out the back or side doors.)

You literally have to "think outside the box", when trying to make the "world" your second room, when all you have is a mobile bedroom.

Latest posts