Is this the Bob Wells of Europe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with this guy is understanding for the "average person" like he says. Such as myself. It's almost like he is speaking a foreign language. In a sense he is, because I live in the deep south of the US and he lives WAY over yonder across the pond...He's fascinating though and you have to admire his zeal. If you can stay awake. But the bottom line is I need an interpreter to understand what he's saying.

"One INCH" styrofoam? Is this guy really in Europe?

According to the NY Times, “Britain and Ireland officially use the metric system, but imperial measures are still often used alongside their metric equivalents. Under the EU decision, they can retain miles on road signs and pubs may continue to serve pints of beer.”

“Inch” and “foot” are still used throughout the United Kingdom but i’m not sure to what extent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_units

A lot, informally, by older people.

I taught in British international schools, lived in Australia, so my ear's pretty well tuned to that accent.

But southern US dialects sound like a foreign language to me.

He does speak standard English. Proper English, and better than me. I intended to say it's not how he's speaking, but what he's saying that is baffling to me. I'm like electronically challenged, so I feel like I need to be an electrical engineer to keep up. I don't know a watt from an amp. For example, I have a camper that is solar ready, but I don't know how to use it.

Thanks for the clarification, Cap.  I understand now.

Solar-ready is a marketing term, but it usually means the RV is pre-wired for solar panels.   Typically one would still have to install the panels and  a charge controller.  On small trailers like teardrops the connector for panels is probably in the battery tray area.  For bigger trailers the connectors are likely on the roof where the panels would be permanently mounted.

I understood him fine. I watched the video of him driving through a bunch of EU countries in one day. I liked his perspective on the EU and Brexit, etc. But he's no Bob Wells.

I visited the Cook Islands in the South Pacific, stayed about a month. The native population learned the Queens English New Zealand dialect and also spoke their native language, Cook Island Maori. When they would be talking socially they would jump back and forth between the two, it was really cool to listen to. But man it was tough to follow at first, kind of like first driving on the left side of the road, you really had to focus.

I have a teardrop. It's a 2016 R-pod. The solar plug is on the opposite end of the trailer from the battery. I don't know why. Harbor Freight has some nice solar panels but I don't know which to get...??

It was great to see a different and semi-permanent floor heater, but I would like to know how he protects the connectors and wires from the doors and driving movements or even earthquakes or bad tropical storms. Plus, what that particular kind of film is called and where to find information on the different kinds and levels of that film. Currently, if I was to add that to my wagon, id have to have a shorter size. Plus, maybe a link on dealing with such voltage, especially for those of us on limited space, hybrid system, and still pretty new.

Thanks for sharing. I will bookmark his page in hopes of learning more much later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captain said:
Harbor Freight has some nice solar panels but I don't know which to get...??

HF panels are not particularly well made.  The Grape solar panels found at Home Depot (or lowes?) are often on sale for less than $1/watt and are of sufficient quality.  Same with 100W renogy panels on Amazon. 

Here's some info on panels and an overview of how solar stuff works.