Is there a wiring device for fan.. help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanInaBox

Reaction score
I think I saw a thread that mentioned wiring a thermostat that turns your vent fan on in your van automatically for times like if your in a store or out hiking.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

I don't remember that thread. My fantastic vent has a built in thermostat.

The thermostat would have to be an analog one, not the electronic ones.

A vehicle heats up pretty quickly in sun.

If you know it will be heating up and you have enough battery you could just go ahead and turn it on low to prevent excessive temp buildup.

YMMV

Several options...some are built in to the roof fan as mentioned, others are available for wiring into an existing fan.

You can choose a simple mechanical dial or choose a digital unit with programmable 'swing', on off maximum and  minimum times, etc.

One of the simplest and easiest units ( 2 wires!) is a variable attic fan thermostatic switch, available at big box home improvement stores in the attic vents and fans section. These tend to have a fairly wide 'swing'...they do not regulate temperature to a precise degree. But they work.

The Maxxair 7000 series has the built in thermostat that you can set the temperature to open/close automatically, so if you were out on a hike when it gets to the SET temperature it will open and fan run without your presence.
Plus with the way the cover is designed the fan can still run and move air with the vent cover closed in a rain event.