Is it possible without Solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can a single guy live comfortably without Solar ?
Can I get by with a Ecoflow for powering my blender and coffee in the morning ?
Without hooking up a fuse box thingy ?
Short answer: yes
But - everyone's idea of comfort is different.

My 2¢.
Build an energy budget:
- Add up all your energy uses for a day.
- Multiply by the number of days before you can recharge your batteries.
- Add any emergency reserve you are comfortable with.
That will give you the size of your battery bank.

Solar is only one of many ways to get electric power. Cities give multiple places to charge batteries. If you are going to stay in an urban environment I would wait on solar; you probably won't need it.

I’ll be a city dweller , and work at a grocery store four days a week. So I feel my food situation is not an issue.
I use battery operated string of lights in the evening. I park at the beach , I shower at the gym , I think I can do this.
My mail goes to a best friends home , if I need entertainment I’ve my IPad for movies.
Why are you even asking this question? Solar is one of the easiest solutions to power. It is cheap. It can provide electricity for lighting recharging phones, laptops, and runs refrigeration, fans, TV and entertainment. Put a roof rack on your van or car and put solar inside it, so it looks like a simple rack, and quit being silly.

Solar is a no-brainer solution. I wish I had a solar panel on every vehicle just to keep the battery charged long-term. These are essential devices. My RV has 830 watts, with a lithium battery and I can heat the place with an electric blanket—the more solar the better. That works well in temps above freezing because I’m R11 insulated. You can conserve if needed, but plan for the maximum you can support on your roof. I’m considering fold down and or slide out panels for even more capability. I’d like to be able to run air conditioning. My next step is heating hot water.

Just get started. You will quickly decide to add solar. When you do plan for expansion. Solar is addictive. Extra panels mean you can charge on a cloudy day, more panels and you can charge in a heavy rain storm. I get 1-2 amps on dark rainy days. Be sure you have a good platform to build on. Do the work once and well.

It will only cost you $200-300 to install a 100Ah battery and a solar panel. And it will give you a lot more independence from having to plug in for your limited electric needs. That's a fraction of what you pay for monthly rent, and it's an one-time expense.
What components would you recommend putting together for around $300? I’m about to start our van solar set up. I was going to start with two 250w panels from santan. Not sure what battery, Walmart deep cell?

What components would you recommend putting together for around $300? I’m about to start our van solar set up. I was going to start with two 250w panels from santan. Not sure what battery, Walmart deep cell?
What will you be powering? That dictates everything.

I’ll be a city dweller , and work at a grocery store four days a week. So I feel my food situation is not an issue.
I use battery operated string of lights in the evening. I park at the beach , I shower at the gym , I think I can do this.
My mail goes to a best friends home , if I need entertainment I’ve my IPad for movies.
Get a Luci Light - solar (I've had mine for over 5 years and it serves as a flashlight and can be used under water). Leave it in your window and you'll have light for days. A 5 gallon propane tank with a connection to a Coleman stove and you'll have enough to heat water - make it in a French press pot if you like ground (no electricity required). There is also a heater that can be set on top of the Coleman stove and it radiates heat enough for a van - see Amazon). There are some decent battery powered blender sticks that are inexpensive. Keep an eye out for outdoor plug-ins (maybe at a coffee shop) so you can charge your IPad in the evening if you run out of juice. I'm all for a small solar generator and a folding solar panel for more flexibility, but it's not absolutely necessary.

A 12v fridge certainly is a nice convenience for avoiding frequently standing in grocery store lines. But if your place of employment has a break room fridge that can help fill the gap of a place to keep things such as lunch meat, salads, etc.
And I work at a grocery store 😃

Why are you even asking this question? Solar is one of the easiest solutions to power. It is cheap. It can provide electricity for lighting recharging phones, laptops, and runs refrigeration, fans, TV and entertainment. Put a roof rack on your van or car and put solar inside it, so it looks like a simple rack, and quit being silly.

Solar is a no-brainer solution. I wish I had a solar panel on every vehicle just to keep the battery charged long-term. These are essential devices. My RV has 830 watts, with a lithium battery and I can heat the place with an electric blanket—the more solar the better. That works well in temps above freezing because I’m R11 insulated. You can conserve if needed, but plan for the maximum you can support on your roof. I’m considering fold down and or slide out panels for even more capability. I’d like to be able to run air conditioning. My next step is heating hot water.

Just get started. You will quickly decide to add solar. When you do plan for expansion. Solar is addictive. Extra panels mean you can charge on a cloudy day, more panels and you can charge in a heavy rain storm. I get 1-2 amps on dark rainy days. Be sure you have a good platform to build on. Do the work once and well.
lol
“ quit being silly “ …. 😂

You can be just fine without solar. For a while I was car-camping in my Prius. I had a dometic 12-volt fridge and a Jackery 500. I plugged my Jackery into my cigarette lighter and then my dometic into the Jackery. As I drove or left the car in ready mode, it recharged the Jackery. And the Jackery had enough power to keep the fridge running with no problem when the car was off.

You can be just fine without solar. For a while I was car-camping in my Prius. I had a dometic 12-volt fridge and a Jackery 500. I plugged my Jackery into my cigarette lighter and then my dometic into the Jackery. As I drove or left the car in ready mode, it recharged the Jackery. And the Jackery had enough power to keep the fridge running with no problem when the car was off.
Thank you.
I purchased the Ecoflow delta mini today. Excited 😊

It will only cost you $200-300 to install a 100Ah battery and a solar panel. And it will give you a lot more independence from having to plug in for your limited electric needs. That's a fraction of what you pay for monthly rent, and it's an one-time expense.
If cost is an issue, use networking skills to locate a commercial system in need of update and dismantling.
For our six 305-Watt panels, a bunch of our caravan chums got together to dismantle a commercial system on an office complex.
For a few hours labor, each of us received plenty of panels to use, plus plenty of panels to sell.
Why would building owners replace a functional system?
Apparently, it has something to do with taxes.
Scrap the existing, replace the whole dang shootin' match, and come out ahead on taxes.
I agree... none of it makes any sense at all.

What will you be powering? That dictates everything.

Phone charging, maxxair fan, 12v fan, occasional laptop use, led interior lights, still debating on a 12v fridge. So just the basics. We have a golab 300 and 110w foldable panel, but would like a couple fixed panels and battery

What will you do with your pooch while you're at work?

Thank you.
I purchased the Ecoflow delta mini today. Excited 😊
What will you do with your pooch while you're at work?
My girl-(friend) works from home , so from 11-7 (4 days a week) he’s with her.
I’m about 7 minutes from work to her home … She lives on the beach in a pretty swanky condo. We’re besties , in fact we’re going on Saturday to look at an 8 year old dog that’s been abandoned… Mojo might have a new best friend 🙏

My girl-(friend) works from home , so from 11-7 (4 days a week) he’s with her.
I’m about 7 minutes from work to her home … She lives on the beach in a pretty swanky condo. We’re besties , in fact we’re going on Saturday to look at an 8 year old dog that’s been abandoned… Mojo might have a new best friend 🙏
She’s about the Only person in my circle of friends who gets me and supports me on this lifestyle.

You plan on buying those in person in AZ or GA................don't pay to ship those big panels........you need a SolarChargeController also............get it at SanTan

Noticed you mentioned parking in a family members driveway? Can you grab power there? Having stealth solar for you doesn't sound like an issue if you are parking in the driveway. With a bit of solar you might be able to always keep your portable power station charged. What kind of vehicle are you in? Lots of good folks here to help you with a solar setup if you are interested, but really what ever works for you!