Is it possible to remodel the interior and still live in my van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where~the~wind~blows

Reaction score
For years my van has needed a much needed interior makeover, and I put it off time and time again, I of her sit wondering, where and how do I start on such a project?

I am not familiar with your rig, so I will just tell you the way I like to do things... Among other things, I build camper vans for the homeless.

I like to start with window vans that have nice factory finished floors, walls, and ceilings. Move out rear seats, and move camping interior in, keeping everything portable. I try to choose things that are at least dual purpose, and can be used either indoors or outdoors without duplication.

I try to use the most cost efficient, yet reliable, durable, and most easily replaceable parts available.

I make these totally self contained vans to be comfortable with complete working systems for weather ranging from well below freezing, to sweltering hot and/or humid conditions, without the need to ever hook up to shore power or the need to park in the hot summer sun to provide power. For the below freezing part, that means no plumbing or external tanks, and sufficient heating. For the summers a 12v A/C or swamp cooler is sufficient, depending upon your location and the humidity, either can be a better choice.

Cheap and easy to find and replace parts are always high on my priority list, because you never know when you might need to replace something in Nowheresville. You don't want to have to mail order stuff if you can avoid it. If it breaks today, I would like to be able to replace or repair it today.

These are some of the guidelines I use, and hopefully they can be helpful to you. Please feel free if you would like me to expand on anything.

Where~the~wind~blows said:
For years my van has needed a much needed interior makeover, and I put it off time and time again, I of her sit wondering, where and how do I start on such a project?

Everything you need to know and or wonder about is on this forum. Start hunting, and remodel, then you can be "out fishing"

Mike

Where~the~wind~blows said:

Almost anything is possible. 

You can do that project the same way you eat an Elephant...

One piece at a time.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
I am not familiar with your rig, so I will just tell you the way I like to do things...  Among other things, I build camper vans for the homeless.

I like to start with window vans that have nice  factory finished floors, walls, and ceilings.  Move out rear seats, and move camping interior in, keeping everything portable.  I try to choose things that are at least dual purpose, and can be used either indoors or outdoors without duplication.

I try to use the most cost efficient, yet reliable, durable, and most easily replaceable parts available.

I make these totally self contained vans to be comfortable with complete working systems for weather ranging from well below freezing, to sweltering hot and/or humid conditions, without the need to ever hook up to shore power or the need to park in the hot summer sun to provide power.  For the below freezing part, that means no plumbing or external tanks, and sufficient heating.  For the summers a 12v A/C or swamp cooler is sufficient, depending upon your location and the humidity, either can be a better choice.

Cheap and easy to find and replace parts are always high on my priority list, because you never know when you might need to replace something in Nowheresville.  You don't want to have to mail order stuff if you can avoid it.  If it breaks today, I would like to be able to replace or repair it today.

These are some of the guidelines I use, and hopefully they can be helpful to you.  Please feel free if you would like me to expand on anything.

Do you have any photos of these rigs? Would love to see them in another thread.

John