Is it possible to Boondock with an electric sewing machine?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CammaluShe has a “sewing room” set up next to her RV and we run both our machines with only solar for power. said:
Now there's an idea.  A pop up awning with a few tarps and a folding table next to the house battery hook up would do it.  Brilliant.  Thank you!  

Am thinking the same about bringing my sewing machine--only mine is an industrial, weighs in at #300, and the motor says it is 600w (I think 1/2 horsepower). Wouldn't have a clue what kind of solar setup that would take. Planning on bringing a generator, or using it on shore power only.

I could just go with the domestic Singer, but I'm working on a business model as a traveling sewing studio that can handle heavier work, like canvas and upholstery. Not sure if this is practical, which is why I'm asking for input....

I have owned a Bernina Record 830 since I bought it brand new in 1973.  It has a heavy duty motor but not a big commercial motor. However the Record 830 was the machine that Bernina put into their commercial sewing machine tables with a heavier industrial motor. It is a good, stout, reliable alternative to trying to travel with a huge commercial machine.

The portable Bernina Record 830 is one heavy machine as it is mostly metal. Getting a little too heavy for me to haul up and down the stairs now that the machine and myself are close to 50 years older. I have sewed lots of heavy material and just finished sewing some canvas work for a sailboat, specifically Sunbrella used to make a wheel cover. It only complained when I had to cross over three layers of already sewn seams, for those few stitches I had to give it a boost with the handwheel.  Of course that work did require that I loosen the tension on the bobbin since I was using very heavy polyester thread and of course very heavy duty needles too. But other than that it did great.

It is of course not one of the long arm commercial machines where you can fold up a big length of canvas under the arm.  So once in a while that is a bit of an issue with things such as tent making.

I just sewed the upholstery for my cushions in my travel trailer on it. I also did the canvas for the popup top too. I will be leaving it at home this winter with a friend since I will be done with sewing projects for a while. But it is too fine quality of a tool to sell it just now.

The canvas top sitting upside down on the table prior to reinstalling it on the trailer.
pop top canvas.jpg
cushions
cushions.JPG

Attachments

• pop top canvas.jpg
    pop top canvas.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 7
  • cushions.JPG
    cushions.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 6
When I was saying the Berina 830 was going through 3 layers of already sewn seams that means 9 layers of heavy duty Sunbrella Canvas fabric. It does just fine through 6 layers of canvas.

I used to sew insulated guitar cases with it that were made with fleece quilted fabric for a lining and Naugahyde for the exterior.

They are plenty of them around on the used market but they are not cheap because they are so strong and reliable.

Bonus points there is an excellent video on youtube that shows how to do the timing on them yourself.

Very happy to see so many sew-n-sews here!  I'm a garment sewer and a decent steam iron is a must for the way I sew.

I hope some of you sewers will be in Quartzsite this year. I just hack along at it and can really use some good tips. I’ve only repaired some things really and just started quilting a bit last winter and would love to learn more.

If any of you are in the area this winter be sure to give me a shout. I’m thinking I can set up a sewing tent room thing at my camp if anyone is interested in getting together.

This was my second try. It wasn’t quite finished here but you get the idea.

788b6f08469dc07ccf62fb7106b18543.jpg

Found a more complete pic. Here it is at basting.

fcb2e814be4b4270a7a2babe3bb89c82.jpg

just start start small. You can begin by making a few pot holders using all cotton fabric. Then make a few placemats.  You will quickly learn the lessons without feeling overwhelmed by taking on a large quilt first.

The biggest problem will be table space to lay it all out on from what I have seen of sewing.

It is also a problem when you live in sticks and bricks. I just use the floor to lay out things that don't fit on a table. When out RVing a tarp on a flat spot works as does finding a state park that has one of those picnic shelters with a big flat floor meant for hosting groups. Put down the tarp, lay out the fabric and get to cutting under that roof that keeps you shaded :)

I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in chatting with people using sewing machines (well... and needlework like cross stitch) that are in the Parker and Q area now thru -um- maybe January? Toss me a PM, please :)

Generators seem to get a bad wrap but there is no way I would consider giving mine up... I run a Champion 2000 watt inverter/gen. which easily handles a microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator, computer/printer and my vinyl cutter along with all my lighting. Obviously I cannot run everything at once but you could for sure run a sewing machine. 
The small quiet run generators are hardly noticeable and us very little gas. Mine burns 1 gallon of gas every 10-14 hours depending on the load. With the price of gas at $2 I am spending only $2 per day for all my electric needs and have no concerns about cloud cover and battery charge. However I do use battery power overnight (never run the gen after 10pm) which I charge with the generator during the day.
Primarily it is common sense, if you plan on depending on generator power spend the extra $$ and get a quiet running model like Champion or Honda. Run it only during daytime and evening hours (most campgrounds only allow from 8a-10p).
I am not against solar! I do plan on adding solar at some point but to get started I went with a generator. Less trouble and much more reliable. 
Good Luck
God Bless

^^ Yes MoreFun......Pirate Camp has a Singer featherweight sewing machine.....I use it to sew my tarps and repair goods

It runs easily on our solar/battery combo...........

Where are you hanging in Parker ?.................we're in the LTVA South at the moment......

"Less trouble and much more reliable."

how did you come to that conclusion. don't get me wrong I am not anti-generator I have a Honda but it is only for backup or running high amp power tools. I would say that solar is less trouble and more reliable. highdesertranger

Make that TWO singer featherweights Doug [emoji16]. If I ever get settled in I swear there will be a craft room here too. I know I threatened that last year...

travelaround said:
I hope to learn how to do this someday. I love all the bright colors you're using for this quilt.
Quilting can be very addictive... be prepared for that when starting out.. LOL. I agree start easy projects first. Quilts don't have to be big to be fun. I have 3 in the works now and 2 new ones just for the van. They make great table clothes, placemats and pillow covers and dog beds and and and ....

At least quillt piecing is a very portable hobby. No sewing machine needed if you want to do without one.

Here I go again going to get a reaction but....

We men don’t quilt because we don't mend straight.

There are a few guys around here that quilt. They do it just to enter theirs in the fair along side their wifes ... competition and all that.
Be careful with quilting it is addictive.

Latest posts