Is it possible to Boondock with an electric sewing machine?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhawktx

Reaction score
Along with my many other interests, I sew. I sew enough that I want to have a sewing machine with me and I think I've found "the one". It's a tiny little tank of a Singer clone with an aluminum head that makes it weigh only 20 lbs instead of 45 or more. 

The motor is 115 V and 1.2 amps and only 1/14 HP. Can this be run for any period of time on a decent boondocking solar setup? If not, I can go through the trouble of making it a hand crank, but I'd rather plan and get enough solar if it would work out that way.

I look forward to your thoughts!

dhawktx said:
Along with my many other interests, I sew. I sew enough that I want to have a sewing machine with me and I think I've found "the one". It's a tiny little tank of a Singer clone with an aluminum head that makes it weigh only 20 lbs instead of 45 or more. 

The motor is 115 V and 1.2 amps and only 1/14 HP. Can this be run for any period of time on a decent boondocking solar setup? If not, I can go through the trouble of making it a hand crank, but I'd rather plan and get enough solar if it would work out that way.

Both of mine are going with me (Singer 401A and Juki serger).

If for some reason I'm not able to run them off of solar (bad weather, low batteries), I'll hide somewhere and crank up my Honda generator which I know can handle them.

The sewing machines will need an inverter to run off of solar but that's simply a matter of sizing the solar and the inverter to fit your needs.

That would be about 15A needed to supply your inverter. Quite doable as long as you aren't running it hours on end.

Thank you both! The nice thing about sewing is that there are short bursts of stitching followed by pauses to rearrange the cloth. If I were running it flat out for longer periods I'd find a place that would let me plug in!

1.2 amps is the most it would draw under heavy load like 4 layers of denim. With 2 layers of light fabric it's probably much less and unless you're doing some production line stuff you probably aren't running the machine for very long at a time.

Power should not be a problem.

If it's a simple sewing machine, with just a motor to worry about, it will almost certainly run just fine on a Modified Sine Wave inverter.

If it's a computerized one that does all those super-fancy stitches automagically, you might be safer getting one of the more expensive Pure Sine Wave inverters.

Regards
John

If a sewing machine is what makes you happy,bring it !
If your usage levels deplete your battery ,. you can just get more panels or batteries or just use it a little less.

I (and I'm sure others) have learned to modify my power demands to my system's capabilities.

No problem at all running that on solar. I'd say 400 watts and 4 golf carts would be an abundance and let you run it all you want.
Bob

I think you will be fine as you are not running the machine continually. somewhere I saw someone with a treadle(?) foot powered machine that was the coolest thing I have seen in a while. highdesertranger

I have seen a lot of those for sale here in Utah, but they are too bulky for van life. *sigh*

But the vintage 3/4 size machine that I got has an aluminum head that makes it light enough it's not going to break the bank as far as payload.

dhawktx said:

I have my 30 year old sewing machine (a bernette) and a vitamix blender...I boon dock full time....I have 295watts of panels and a 2000 watt inverter...I've always had enough power...

Most of these older sewing machines from the 1920's to the 1970's, although rather heavy, use similar motors, all in the 75-120 watt class. Most are less than 100 watts. I have 5 or 6 old portables here from the 40's to late 60's. I use the same 700-watt inverter for them that powers my air compressor. 400 watt inverters will likely do it for dresses and similar light loads. If doing multiple layers of denim or 3/16" of leather, you may want a heavier inverter, but I haven't had any problem. The light must also be considered as well as the motor, though, as the light will also be running in addition to the motor.

highdesertranger said:
I think you will be fine as you are not running the machine continually.  somewhere I saw someone with a treadle(?) foot powered machine that was the coolest thing I have seen in a while.   highdesertranger

I sew almost everything and have used a simple, modern machine (Janome Classmate) converted to treadle for decades. Sure can’t take the treadle table with me, but I know some New Order Amish hook theirs up to a battery.  I’d like to find out how to do that.

I use an old Singer with a hand crank. It is so quiet. I love sitting out under a tree and sewing. But sewing machines don’t take a lot of power. Convert the light bulb to an LED to save on electric and keep cool.

dhawktx said:

I was looking at some of the van builds on utube and Lee in in LV had a 12 volt singer machine. Not sure  of the amps but  if you look at Bob's utube series, you'll see the interview with Lee

A minivan-dwelling costume designer/maker, Victor, adapted a modern sewing machine to work with an old fashioned treadle.

Our business is running a sewing machine for many hours straight so we carry a Honda Generator as I don't think for us a solar panel would work. For me I would have hard time if I had to leave my machine at home What do you sew, just curiosa? I love to make bags and quilts and "stuff" I am hoping to get something started with ETSY...I always say sewing keeps me sane, cheaper then drugs and cleaner then booze, but at easily just as addictive.

I use a sewing machine a lot and haven’t had a problem. I’m on solar.

I have a friend who also sees and I sewed with her a lot over the winter. She has a “sewing room” set up next to her RV and we run both our machines with only solar for power.

Hasn’t been a problem.