is it a cargo trailer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Moore

Reaction score
Hi all, just wrapping up spending a month on a somewhat of a shakedown journey of my converted 2018 carry on enclosed cargo trailer.my travels started by coming from northern California down to the RTR which was different than last year but enjoyable. Then I wandered over to Ehrenberg for about a week, before heading up to craggy wash near lake Havasu City.

While it is not yet complete, I learned a lot about the things that I want to change on it. It has the bare minimums with bed platform, alpicool cx40 fridge, a camp chef portable range, Maxx air fan, and power supplied by two 100 watt panels wired in series going to only a hundred amp hour AGM battery charge by a 40 amp renogy charge controller. A lot of changes that I want to do but that will happen in time. Next step prepare it for workamping inTahoe.

For forum purposes, is this considered miscellaneous, or an RV?
I will post one photo of it, if anybody's interested I can do more but I did not want to flood the thread with photos.

Attachments

• 20190130_071345.jpg
    20190130_071345.jpg
    1.2 MB
Cargo Trailer conversion. I once saw something posted on what is considered an RV but I've long forgotten that list or what it said but I think it was all the typical systems in a house such as plumbing, fresh/grey/black tanks and such. For purposes of this group no one cares if it is off the line of the best Class A manufacturer or built in the backyard of your friend. But if you search for videos of this type of RV seek Cargo Trailer Conversion for your search.

What is your CCC - Cargo Carry Capacity? I see a small trailer with a single axle and with what you say you've already put in it do you know how much weight you have left to add things?

I don't see any windows - how do you get air with the door closed?

Hey Scotty,

Under the "Share your story" section there's a forum titled "Conversions and Modifications." Is that what you're looking for?

I agree with R&C though, nobody on here is going to get bent outta shape for you accidentally putting it in the wrong place. Unless you're spamming, the worst that'll happen is the mods might move it to a more appropriate board.

~angie

Looks to be an 8 to 10 footer. What he's added won't be much weight. These things are not airtight so plenty of air with the door closed. What he's describing is basically a hard side tent that doesn't have to be broke down every time moved. Enclosed space out of wind, cold and wet. Easily heated and cooled with inexpensive tools. Good on ya.

RoadtripsAndCampfires said:
Cargo Trailer conversion.  I once saw something posted on what is considered an RV but I've long forgotten that list or what it said but I think it was all the typical systems in a house such as plumbing, fresh/grey/black tanks and such.  For purposes of this group no one cares if it is off the line of the best Class A manufacturer or built in the backyard of your friend.  But if you search for videos of this type of RV seek Cargo Trailer Conversion for your search.

What is your CCC - Cargo Carry Capacity?  I see a small trailer with a single axle and with what you say you've already put in it do you know how much weight you have left to add things?  

Max Air Fan

Mine is pretty air tight when closed up but we are going to add windows and a fantastic fan vent.

I am packing as though I can take it if it fits and then I'll stop and weigh it and see if I really can. I think so, more than I thought I was going to when I first started but time will tell I will know in a few months anyway. It is all an experiment to see if I can bring what I want and stay at safe operating weight as well as still have room to move without feeling like I am living in a garbage can full of stuff everywhere.

I had an Aliner fold down once and it was quite breezy at times, no worrys there but I wouldn't call that stealth trailer if that's what one needs.

I told Wayne I'd love to have a trap door like in Lethel Weapon. That was cool.

Awesome CT I’m calling mine a Cargo Stream it’s 7 X 12 it’s Has Escape Window and also a Max Air Fan
ec4364563c8580aea74fb2aa61dc708e.jpg
257f07453895572cabd612190527c9cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cargo Trailer conversion.  I once saw something posted on what is considered an RV but I've long forgotten that list or what it said but I think it was all the typical systems in a house such as plumbing, fresh/grey/black tanks and such.  For purposes of this group no one cares if it is off the line of the best Class A manufacturer or built in the backyard of your friend.  But if you search for videos of this type of RV seek Cargo Trailer Conversion for your search.

What is your CCC - Cargo Carry Capacity?  I see a small trailer with a single axle and with what you say you've already put in it do you know how much weight you have left to add things?  

Sorry for the delay in my reply. I dont get notices for this forum. I have about 2,000 lbs CCC. I doubt I have even 400 lbs in it currently as dry weight. Minus water or propane. I originally secured the door from the inside utilizing a board across the inside of the door in the wood mounts you can see in the photo. This method did not keep the door closed tight enough. I next used a turnbuckle which worked perfectly, but for more rapid securement I changed over to a small ratchet strap. Yes there are no windows as of yet, so air is provided via the maxxair vent fan and the numerous factory provided gaps in the trailer construction. I am currently gutting the interior, and the plan is to implement a murphy bed set up as well as a folding dinnete. A small woodstove is also planned so I can stay somewhat warm in Tahoe starting mid april. The interior changes may or may not happen depending on what my brain decides on in the near future.

AMGS3 said:
Hey Scotty,

Under the "Share your story" section there's a forum titled "Conversions and Modifications." Is that what you're looking for?

I agree with R&C though, nobody on here is going to get bent outta shape for you accidentally putting it in the wrong place. Unless you're spamming, the worst that'll happen is the mods might move it to a more appropriate board.

~angie
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

owl said:
Looks to be an 8 to 10 footer. What he's added won't be much weight. These things are not airtight so plenty of air with the door closed. What he's describing is basically a hard side tent that doesn't have to be broke down every time moved. Enclosed space out of wind, cold and wet. Easily heated and cooled with inexpensive tools. Good on ya.

Yes it is a 6x10. It works quite well so far. A little more advanced than a hard sided tent but yeah. I decided long ago when I was camping in my Subaru outback, and having to erect a tent to store everything, not to need to do that again. Most I have to do is setup and take down the 2 room shower tent.

Mine is pretty air tight when closed up but we are going to add windows and a fantastic fan vent.

I am packing as though I can take it if it fits and then I'll stop and weigh it and see if I really can.  I think so, more than I thought I was going to when I first started but time will tell  I will know in a few months anyway.  It is all an experiment to see if I can bring what I want and stay at safe operating weight as well as still have room to move without feeling like I am living in a garbage can full of stuff everywhere.  

I had an Aliner fold down once and it was quite breezy at times, no worrys there but I wouldn't call that  stealth trailer if that's what one needs.

I told Wayne I'd love to have a trap door like in Lethel Weapon.  That was cool.
A trap door would be very cool! Obviously I am not going for stealth. But plain jane is fine for me.

KiwiTravelsUSA said:
Awesome CT I’m calling  mine a Cargo Stream it’s 7 X 12 it’s Has Escape Window and also a Max Air Fan
ec4364563c8580aea74fb2aa61dc708e.jpg
257f07453895572cabd612190527c9cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks great. Of course bigger can be better. For my purposes, I'd like the ability to get down some of the trails that the majority in larger vehicles do not travel. There might be activities involving looking for color in my pan.

Scotty Moore said:
Sorry for the delay in my reply. I dont get notices for this forum. I have about 2,000 lbs CCC. I doubt I have even 400 lbs in it currently as dry weight. Minus water or propane. I originally secured the door from the inside utilizing a board across the inside of the door in the wood mounts you can see in the photo. This method did not keep the door closed tight enough. I next used a turnbuckle which worked perfectly, but for more rapid securement I changed over to a small ratchet strap. Yes there are no windows as of yet, so air is provided via the maxxair vent fan and the numerous factory provided gaps in the trailer construction. I am currently gutting the interior, and the plan is to implement a murphy bed set up as well as a folding dinnete. A small woodstove is also planned so I can stay somewhat warm in Tahoe starting mid april. The interior changes may or may not happen depending on what my brain decides on in the near future.

RV dealers have RV door  handles with deadbolts from $30 to $50. Simple to install and quite handy.

owl said:
RV dealers have RV door  handles with deadbolts from $30 to $50. Simple to install and quite handy.

Thanks, yes I've looked at those. In the doors current configuration, the door needs to be closed quite tight for the exterior well to work properly. Also even if RV latch installed, when I want to secure the door from outside with cam bar lock, it would likely push RV lock well past it's hole in the doorframe.

My RV door handle on my enclosed trailer works perfectly and was easy to install. It doesn't interfere in anyway with the bar being locked when towing. Here is a 1 minute vid showing what I mean.   

owl said:
My RV door handle on my enclosed trailer works perfectly and was easy to install. It doesn't interfere in anyway with the bar being locked when towing. Here is a 1 minute vid showing what I mean.   

Yes I am aware of what you mean. What I am saying is on mine, because of the weather seal, the door has to be closed so tightly that I am not sure how well I would be able to pull the door closed and have the RV style latch secure the door where it needs to be.

Latest posts