Is anyone interested in convoying with me to RTR 2019 from Chicago, Illinois area?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like there is weather concerns on my last route, this one heads further south before turning west and avoids those high elevations. I have it divided into 3 ten hour days staying at interstate rest areas. If you were coming from Chicago it would probably add a day to your drive and the stops I made won't line up with your schedule. For me it only adds 2 hours.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pro...5173caabf!2m2!1d-114.1456345!2d33.6490972!3e0

It's looking like I'll opt for Johnny's suggestions, but I'll research more and post again today or tomorrow; still too busy to focus on the route right now.

Neal said:
I'll be on that exact route also but unfortunately I'll be leaving for the RTR at an earlier date.
Hi Neal, 

I just now noticed your post. Which exact route will you be on at an earlier date?

Alma

Hi JohnnyM,

I'm very concerned about the treacherous New Mexico mountains, which I nearly slide off in November 2015 on the way to Cloudcroft, NM, and thinking I'd best cancel this journey.

Based on your past winter drives, how bad/difficult/dangerous might the NM roads be in January  on your suggested route?

Thank you.

Alma

they could go either way, it's winter. they could be fine or they could be nasty.

I wouldn't cancel a trip because of something that might be, you could,

wait it out until it clears or
go where the bad weather isn't.

rarely do storms reach north and south far enough to close down everything.

highdesertranger

Souleem said:
 I'm very concerned about the treacherous New Mexico mountains,  
The route I posted above avoids those mountains, but adds distance.  I'm going to wait and see, maybe call the NM DOT a couple days in advance and see what they say about the forecast.

Also the route posted you could always stay on I 40 to Albuquerque than I 25 south to Las Cruces & I 10 . They have occasional dust storms on I 10 around Deming NM over to Lordsburg NM mainly during summer months .

I would go south into Texas before you head west! If the forecast is for SNOW on I40 W, Get a room!!! I've drove the Ruts of 40 before! It's not bad as long as you stay in the ruts, if you venture out of those rut's you're in for a ride!!
N.M does not have the means to maintain their Hwys. Definitely a white knuckle adventure!

Southwest said:
Also the route posted you could always stay on I 40 to Albuquerque than I 25 south to Las Cruces & I 10 . They have occasional dust storms on I 10 around Deming NM over to Lordsburg NM mainly during summer months .
This is a good idea, you could make that decision the day of the drive. Also it looks like going south Santa Rosa on 54 is about an hour faster. According to google maps anyway.

Hi Y'all,

Alma, on my route through New Mexico (!-10), you won't encounter any mountains at all, so don't worry about that sort of thing. There is one stretch with a little elevation just east of Benson, AZ, but it has no steep grades and is not prone to bad weather. I've seen occasional snow around Las Cruces from time to time, but I've never seen it stop traffic. It's unusual to have snow anywhere on I-10; that doesn't mean it can't happen, but much more likely will be clear to partly cloudy and cool and dry weather. It tends to be windy, but that's usually quite manageable.

The reason I recommend staying off of I-40 in winter is that the Texas Panhandle is prone to blizzards and snow accumulation and hazardous conditions, and if you head south to I-10 you can just forget about all that. If you made it to Albuquerque and then turned south you'd be ok, but the trick would be to get through Amarillo. I just stay out of there in the winter if I don't have to go that way.

Johnny

I have lived in New Mexico for the last 12 plus years in several different communities and NM does have the means to maintain their roads .
(According to a release, NMDOT has a total of 96 graders, 161 loaders, 9 snow blow trucks and 417 dump trucks with plows and salt spreaders. The NMDOT also has about 49,000 tons of salt that is ready to help clear icy roads) - Oct 12 - 2017 KRQE news www.krqe.com/news/nmdot-crews-prepare-for-upcoming-winter-season-in-new-mexico/1009286984

Latest posts