Is a Honda generator worth the price?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream True

Reaction score
I have never owned a generator before and like another poster just said I'm new to this. I have an RV tech that I'm working with. He looked at the small AC on my new-to-me Aliner and said a Honda E2000 would run it. He highly recommended the Honda so that's what I ordered. Now I'm having some buyer's remorse. It was a grand. Ouch! I saw a Westinghouse generator that has similar power out put and is quieter, lighter, (the Honda is at the top end of what I can lift so I couldn't go bigger even if I wanted to) and HALF the price. Is the Honda worth it? I know they are supposed to be very reliable and quiet, 2 things that are super important to me but would another generator be so bad? I ordered the Honda from Home Depot so easy peasy to cancel if I decide against it.

Dream True said:
I have never owned a generator before and like another poster just said I'm new to this. I have an RV tech that I'm working with. He looked at the small AC on my new-to-me Aliner and said a Honda E2000 would run it. He highly recommended the Honda so that's what I ordered. Now I'm having some buyer's remorse. It was a grand. Ouch! I saw a Westinghouse generator that has similar power out put and is quieter, lighter, (the Honda is at the top end of what I can lift so I couldn't go bigger even if I wanted to) and HALF the price. Is the Honda worth it? I know they are supposed to be very reliable and quiet, 2 things that are super important to me but would another generator be so bad? I ordered the Honda from Home Depot so easy peasy to cancel if I decide against it.

Perhaps this might help:

http://blog.mygenerator.com.au/yamaha-vs-honda-inverter-generators/

[video=youtube]

Honda generators are well made, reliable, quiet, can last for decades, and there are service centers everywhere and parts are easy to get.

Plus, in 10 years you might even be able to sell it for 3/4 of what you paid for it today.

I dont think much of that is true for the off-brand stuff.

On the other hand, a Honda Generator is bait for thieves, so spend some money to secure it well.

In a word, yes. They are just that much better quieter fuel efficcient than pretty much everything else on the market. Does the price justify the excessive awesomeneas? Maybe, maybe not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Apparently Champion knockoffs sometimes go for $300 or so, if that were the case **maybe** worth it given the chance of thievery.

But only if not using it regularly, Hondas do last actual running hours **much** longer than the cheap ones.

Subaru Robin (Fuji Heavy Industries) is another very high quality long-lasting engine, but maybe getting phased out these days?

While I'm not somebody who only looks at price, I have looked at this one from Harbor Freight and have been quite impressed with it.  The reviews of it are all 5 stars.  And at $700 for a 3,500 watt inverter generator it's definitely worth a look:

attachment.php

the only thing that makes it alright is the resale. Otherwise no way. they're not even more quiet anymore.

Going with the Honda was a solid choice...and I would rate the Yamaha as an equal. Read the manual and get a complete understanding of the maintenance schedules, and you should have a piece of equipment that will outlast 5 of the knockoffs.

And don't believe the claims that the cheapies are just as quiet...it just isn't true. That Westinghouse one linked above sounds like a lawnmower in comparison. A friend has a Honda 3000i bumper-mounted in an enclosure, and for months every time I drive past him parked I slow down and try to hear it running. From 30' away with some trees in between, you really can't hear it.

He went through a couple cheapies before deciding to drop the big bucks, but there's just no comparison...and I've yet to see someone who had a Honda/Yamaha go back to the cheaper ones.

Hondas are also nice because there are aftermarket things that aren't available on the others, such as remote start and pump assisted fuel siphons for external fuel tanks...

well you get what you pay for. I have never been let down by a Honda small engine. on the ranch we had 2 generators to run wells. they were both Hondas one 30 years old, still starts on the first pull. cheap Chinese junk really doesn't do it for me. I will gladly pay a premium price for top rate gear. highdesertranger

I have the Honda EU2000 and I absolutely love it. Buy once cry once. I actually was using it today for the first time in 11 months. I had regular gas in it all that time (not recommended if you know it's going to be sitting awhile, as the ethanol in gas can gum up the carb) It started on the 2nd pull and ran great for the next 6 hours.

On top of Honda's being excellent small engines, they hold their resale value. You could sell it for $700 to $800 five years from now and probably even longer.

If you google to find out where Honda gensets are made, besides Japan places like India,Thailand,China, France,and the Phillipines show up. I guess that's all good if they maintain quality control.

"Buy once, Cry once". I like that.
Honda all the way. You get what you pay for.

> If you google to find out where Honda gensets are made, besides Japan places like India,Thailand,China, France,and the Phillipines show up. I guess that's all good if they maintain quality control.

Yes the Japanese are quite the masters of QA/QC process controls, the brand correlates with quality, not the factory location.

They've even managed to build **very** reliable products in US locations like Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee.

I own a Westinghouse i2000. No complaints. It is as quiet as my friends Honda i2000. While these generators are "quiet" compared to the non-inverter generators, the steady drone is also annoying. Except for the cheapest generators, the noise level of all these inverter generators are the same to my ear. That is comparing size to size. The Westinghouse may not be available as Westinghouse Co is going away.

Zil said:
I own a Westinghouse i2000. No complaints. It is as quiet as my friends Honda i2000. While these generators are "quiet" compared to the non-inverter generators, the steady drone is also annoying. Except for the cheapest generators, the noise level of all these inverter generators are the same to my ear. That is comparing size to size. The Westinghouse may not be available as Westinghouse Co is going away.

exactly. some of the clones are quieter than a honda if anything. paying a premium for quality is one thing, paying 200% more is another.

the ryobi from lowes is very nice btw

I've had a Honda EU3000iS for 15 years or so. The only trouble so far was due to bad gas. Cleaned the screen above the carb, and starts first pull every time. Don't use it enough lately to keep a battery fresh (electric start), but since it starts so easily with 1 pull, haven't felt the need to replace it.
IMHO Honda is worth the up front higher cost.