Is $2100 too good to be true for an RV in Austin area?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NADA for motorhomes is available online. IMHO they overvalue newer ones and undervalue older ones, with the about right being at 5 years.

ZoNiE said:
$3,900 should be pretty easy to finance since you are working.

Finance it with a 2 or 3 year loan, and pay the payments until money is saved up to pay it off...

I have thought about seeing if I could get a loan from my credit union. I would rather pay payments on the shuttle bus than pay rent. The question is: What do I tell the credit union? How do I explain why I want to buy a used shuttle bus? They are used to giving loans for cars.

Grant, check the Skoolie Converters FB group. They have some for sale and you will learn some stuff in the process. I prefer Terry's group. You do have to answer some questions as it's how he keep the bots and the thugs out. You might be surprised how many of us start out in a bus with only the bare minimums (aka metal tent). Just tell them where you are and that you are looking for a converted shorty (under 25 ft) or mid size (30 ft). A full size bus is 35 - 40 ft.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/537084239699309/?fref=nf

GrantRobertson said:
I have thought about seeing if I could get a loan from my credit union. I would rather pay payments on the shuttle bus than pay rent. The question is: What do I tell the credit union? How do I explain why I want to buy a used shuttle bus? They are used to giving loans for cars.

Tell them that you like to go camping, but you want something better than a tent and you can not afford a good RV.

compassrose said:
Grant, check the Skoolie Converters FB group. They have some for sale and you will learn some stuff in the process. I prefer Terry's group. You do have to answer some questions as it's how he keep the bots and the thugs out. You might be surprised how many of us start out in a bus with only the bare minimums (aka metal tent). Just tell them where you are and that you are looking for a converted shorty (under 25 ft) or mid size (30 ft). A full size bus is 35 - 40 ft.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/537084239699309/?fref=nf

I am specifically not looking for a school bus. I think the windows are too small, and a lot of RV parks specifically disallow school bus conversions. It is possible to make a shuttle bus look more like a regular motor home with a lot less work.

However, I will still take a look at that FB group. A lot of the problems and solutions would be the same.

Thanks

For the 5 or 6 months you'll need, I'd just rough it. Mattress, Loveable Loo (compost bucket), hot plate, toaster oven, small wash tub and a couple of 5 gallon buckets. Even a basic cargo van will do. Anybody can survive being miserable for a few months, although, that wouldn't really be miserable to me.

Also, a shuttle bus is likely to need quite a bit of mechanical work. Depending on price and availability of parts, it could get quite expensive. Plus, the actual conversion itself isn't cheap.

Don't forget to stalk EBay for auctions without a reserve price. I've seen busses sell super cheap that way.

Good luck!

GrantRobertson said:
I am specifically not looking for a school bus. I think the windows are too small, and a lot of RV parks specifically disallow school bus conversions. It is possible to make a shuttle bus look more like a regular motor home with a lot less work.

However, I will still take a look at that FB group. A lot of the problems and solutions would be the same.

Thanks

Your information on the RV parks and skoolies is incorrect. Not all the conversions there are on school bus chassis, you might think they are on a van chassis. Some are on "shuttle bus" chassis (sometimes same companies, same body, different colours).

Not all "Dealers" are a bad deal ...

First thing is to find something that looks interesting. (For me interesting is anything with low mileage).

Next is to get the V.I.N. from the seller and do your homework. (Some searches are free and others you pay money for a complete history of the vehicle but in all cases you need the V.I.N. at the minimum).

As an example a business partner (at that time) found "Betty" A Black MT-45 Freightliner with just over 12k original miles listed on eBay. A "dealer" had purchased a few dozen of these at an auction and was selling them. The ones in running condition sold for about 16k to 24k. The dealer had one left, that was not running, by the time I got to him.

Through my work with the V.I.N. I was able to figure out that the dealer paid about 1,600 to 1,850 for each of the pristine Step Vans he purchased and sold. I offered him 2x what he paid with the idea it would be easier to possibly buy and sell two more vehicles than to keep sitting on this last one. He had mentioned that he was having a hard time finding a mechanic that could work on a C.N.G. vehicle and if he could get it running he told me what it would be worth (the 16 to 24k). For me the worst case I would have to face would the need to salvage the Step Van in order to recover all or part of my money if I was unable to repair the vehicle.

Short Version of a long story is ... he went for it

After a 100 mile trip, and some serious negotiation, I convinced the dealer it was in his best interest to sell me the Step Van. The final price was 3,800 plus it cost me 250 to have Betty transported on a flat bed trailer to my location.

Now with about 76,000 miles on Black Betty's odometer I can say I have received my monies worth.

I drive Betty daily where ever I need to go and have the means and knowledge at this point to make just about any kind of repair while out and about if necessary.

Also if you do research you will find that just about ALL the low mileage vehicles will show up on eBay, or come from a government auction or a utility company that is auctioning off vehicles or some other form of an auction.

Most professional dealers troll auctions for new "stock" to resell.

I just about never see any low mileage vehicles on Craig's List.

And now you know ...

T.I.M.

b.t.w. these kinds of factory dedicated C.N.G. Step Vans go for 10k to 20k more than their diesel cousins so "New" Betty went for about 85k to 95k.