inverter, solar panels, ac etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgs80074

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

going from past posts and what i have read a normal ac unit just don't work in a van dwelling (non shore setup) without more solar panels than a vehicle could support or batteries for storage.

I'll confess I still don't understand or figured out the whole watt hours of batteries and such.

I have a 1997 dodge ram van b2500, while not a van dweller so to speak I do at times have errans and such which would require me to be in my vehicle for a few hours at a time and i had planned perhaps of doing some weekend camping around florida here and there (but thats on hold since at work we no longer have weekends off).

but anyways the ac system in my vehicle (i think) is broken and would be too much to repair so i had been thinking of putting in a window unit connected to a power inverter that will be connected to the battery. but this is just my initial setup i would really like at some point to get solar panels and some batteries to be able to use the ac and possibly a small dorm fridge so i can keep cool drinks anytime. during errands and such i'd only need 2-4 hours of time and most of that would be early morning partial darker to sunlight then the sun would be out.

but as i said the solar setup and batteries will be down the road i have some minor repairs to do on both of my vehicles and some things to buy for them before solar stuff even comes into play.

so for the time being it'll be a cheap window unit more or less powered directly from the vehicles battery and only used when the vehicle is running. my vehicle has a good batter (the van is a 5.2l) and the alternator is maybe 6 months old 140amp one so i should be good.

but looking into the future i saw this nice little ac unit on kickstarter and though i wonder if that would be better than a normal window unit for dwellers and if so the possiblities of it running off a solar and battery setup.

here's the kickstarter link for it

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kurt/noria-cool-redefined?ref=nav_search

The only reason air conditioning on solar works for us is if the sun isn't shining, we don't need it.

The A/C you linked looks cool but I suggest finding the lowest draw unit that you can. Our 5000 BTU is rated for 446 watts. It pulls up to 38 amps 12v while the compressor runs but takes considerably more to start it. Someone else can tell you if it's feasible to hook up to the alternator. I do know it can be made to run on a 1000w generator.

Another thing to consider is sizing. A 5000 BTU unit can do pretty good in my 25 ft trailer but it's dry here too. It takes longer to get it cooled down when we have some humidity. I would certainly want some insulation or it wont keep up.