Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bellaandme

Reaction score
Hi... I’m in the process of selling it all and moving into a camper van. I’m trying to get an idea of monthly expenses auto insurance or RV?  Also, any advice on medical insurance... I feel clueless and these are the two things holding me up.

Vehicle insurance costs will vary according to your zip code & address, so having this information will enable you to call and get quotes, and be sure to tell them that you're a full time RV dweller.

I would talk to others before deciding. I think I saw a YouTube video where someone said don't tell insurance company that you live in your van because they will refuse to insure you, but I suspect that others may have more information on what's best.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

First thing the insurance company is going to want is the VIN.  I've to;d this story before but I had a PU with full coverage, a van with liability, an a TT and my yearly premium was about $2000.  I checked on a Chevy Express 3500 12 passenger van with my agent and the premium for that vehicle alone was $2700 and I don't have any tickets or claims.

It’s funny how things work (if you don’t understand them) this was new to me.

I was puzzled why my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 (3/4 ton truck) cost more to insure than my wife’s 2016 Honda Pilot (midsize suv) 10 years newer!

My agent explained that on our liability portion, it’s the fact that the older 7k pound truck will do more damage to others property than the newer 3k pound Honda will.

So I can imagine that’s why that 15 passenger van is so high to insure.
It’s big and heavy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The health insurance can vary a lot depending on where you are & income. I've have a $12/mo premium getting a subsidy through the ACA,  it also took care of my deductible & most of my copays (silver plan). I've had insurance through an employer cost $200/mo. Getting insurance through the marketplace, most ppl qualify for a subsidy. Depending on income, it's worth looking into Medicaid too. There are usually eligibility tools if you search for "whatever-state Medicaid eligibility"

2018 Ford Transit 350 Highroof 148" wheelbase 9500 GVRW cargo van insured as personal vehicle. $78/month $500 deductable.

Conversion van with progressive $300+ Every 6 months, $1000 deductible.

Had terrible time getting insurance on this van. Regular insurance co said it was an RV based on VIN and does not insure RVs, Progressive RV Dept said it was not an RV wouldn’t insure, other companies would only insure if transferred house and other car to them too.
Finally some Dept in Progressive put a policy on it.

My suggestion, Before buying call some insurance companies with the VIN and get a quote. Might also consider using one of those local town insurance brokers to hunt for insurance companies.

Latest posts