Insurance for Skoolies

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobjr59

Reaction score
I've been looking for insurance for my 2002 International Motorhome but I'm told some won't insure non-[font=arial, sans-serif]professional[/font] bus conversions and the one who will only offers liability and I have to show them pictures of said conversion also .

Try to get it insured on a commercial, but for personal use policy, instead of an RV.

Having it titled as a motorhome without it actually meeting the requirements to be one, will probably work against you. I'm not sure how you accomplished that based on your intentions to make it one.

On a commercial policy make sure you read the fine print. Often there's a mileage radius limit placed on the vehicle. It can be as little as 25 miles from the policy holders address.

Insurance companies have a problem determining a replacement value on DIY conversions. Having the conversion done professionally results in a paid receipt for the effort.

My pickup is insured on an Auto Owners commercial policy. I've been happy with their service and the price was cheaper than my previous Safeco and Progressive policies. There are no limits to how I use it or where I drive to, which is good because it's been in probably 2/3s of the states west of the Mississippi. I dropped Progressive when they said I couldn't carry more than 500 lbs of tools. What?!!! I would buy a Subaru if that was all I needed to haul! Definitely check the small print.