Insulation question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linecaster

Reaction score
I have purchased a Nissan NV 200 cargo van and am planning the build, after wiring  I believe the next step is insulation, I have been watching and reading the videos  and threads and have seen many different materials being used, what would be essential and best.

I posted this question under cars by accident.

Here are the address to Bob's best (in my opinion) videos on insulation. there is much more about this on the net just google insulating a van. Problem is many opinions conflict. So, I think someone withs Bobs experience makes a better opinion than many. Good luck.

I agree, too much conflicting info. Especially, run away from people who think Reflectix is insulation.

I eventually threw up my hands and decided to go without insulation altogether. Works for me. I have no trouble sleeping warm down into the 20s. YMMV.

Depends on your own tolerances for heat and cold, and whether you are at all constrained as to whether you can just turn on the ignition and go to where you like the weather better.

Enduring cold (not frigid) is no problem for me. It is the heat I can not take. I don't have or want ac as that makes it worse for when you don't have it. and there is no way to run ac in the places where I go without those darn noise generators. If I wanted that kind of noise I would have stayed in town. I have a good battery (rechargeable) operated fan and will be adding a max air fan as soon as I can get the solar installed $$$. The answer for me is higher elevations and dense forest.

jacqueg - I can understand why you would skip it altogether but if you have to park in the sun to charge solar I would at least insulate the ceiling.

Yes, parking in the sun will be a factor.

I plan to spend a good part of the summer and fall in the PNW, my home stomping grounds. I don't know yet how much solar I will need. Since I am a rainstorm-lover, getting a good small generator was a higher priority to me than getting solar. But my solar suitcase should arriving any day now. Ask me again in 4 months!

A small USB fan and parking in the shade got me through some 100+ days last summer. I like AC when I'm driving - I am convinced it makes me a safer driver - but the investment required to run AC while the van is parked is distinctly unappealing.

Thankyou for your replies, on first reply I watched Bob's video and his reason for those in heat not to insulate makes sense. Having watched two other video's  on the same reflectix use has convinced me to use it with a thin panel for decoration. I live in north Texas  and will be starting off my van life experience for real in January next year.

Every type of insulation has advantages and disadvantages. Insulation can store heat and take longer to cool when the sun goes down, but I think this is a smaller problem than freezing in the winter or having to run a big heater. Most people use ventless propane heaters that put a lot of moisture into the air, (one of the byproducts of propane burning is water vapor). A good vent fan is what I use in the summer when going to bed. I have the type with a thermostat that I can set to shut off if it does get too cold.

A little bit of insulation would be a good compromise. I considered using second hand bed comforters as they would conform to odd shaped spaces and be low enough in density to not store a lot of heat. With any insulation keeping moisture out of the insulation is of utmost importance. I went with something a bit different and put it into plastic bags before putting it in place. I did not seal the bags air tight. I just folded the tops over. The air inside tthe bag of insulation will expand and contract with elevation and temperature changes. This also helps to dry out the insulation if it did manage to get damp.

I'll chime in. Take this for whatever it's worth. I built my windowless Chevy Express with the pink foam sheet insulation. It is from a 1/2" thick to 2" thick depending on the location within the van. Very easy and clean to work with. All covered with 1/8" cedar pine boards. I use a Fantastic Fan in the roof. It has worked out quite well for me. I don't live in the van, nor do I travel (yet) to extreme temp locations. Just the Northeast and MidWest areas. A couple of things I have learned...Be aware of how you park, using shade trees to your advantage. Also, I use removable reflectix panels inside the front windshield and two doors to reflect the sunlight and keep the cabin from overheating. This IS NOT insulation, but it is being used for how it was intended.
ANY van, no matter how well insulated, will heat up if in direct sunlight for a number of hours.

Plenty of insulation threads to choose from. I would check out the how to information and not ask for opinions on a forum. 

Personally, I used polyISO XPS to insulate the van. I also installed a vapor barrier. Both materials used in the van cannot absorb moisture.  I like it and it works. 
-crofter

Crofters, opinions is what helps to form a decision,  I  watched a video by an " expert " who said reflectix must have a gap between the outer shell and the reflectix. He then went on to place the same insulation you used and then applied the reflectix.  Bob's point is that the insulation  will hold in heat so reflectix  with a gap and no insulation will be best. Totally confused.

Insulation helps hold the heat in. If you are going to be in hot places (without A/C), no insulation allows your space to cool faster.

Reflectix just reflects heat (doesn't trap it).

It is all dependant on your intended use.

Thank you Brian, I live in North Texas. Summers with many 90 deg plus days 80 at night. Winters can go below freezing but mostly 40's at night.

If you're staying in that climate and not moving, I suggest that you insulate and rent a spot to plug in an air conditioner when it gets hot. You can't have it both ways. The other option is fans in the summer and plenty of covers for the winter.

BTW, I'm down near houston where it is hot AND humid. Can hardly wait 'till I can get outta here! Wish I had a timeline too.

Linecaster said:
I have purchased a Nissan NV 200 cargo van and am planning the build, after wiring  I believe the next step is insulation, I have been watching and reading the videos  and threads and have seen many different materials being used, what would be essential and best.
I guess as an experiment, you could try storing some meat in an uninsulated steel box for a day, & see how that works out...

So if I insulate the metal box the meat will be ok?
I do not want to spend money on a project without finding out what is best. Your observation is not helpful.

Spray foam (closed cell) applied by a professional is best IMHO. Do not use the open cell great stuff sold at the hardware stores, it will trap moisture. It will fill cracks and voids to stop air infiltration. You will need some type of fresh air system in a trailer though. Cracking a window should work. Vehicles normally have a 10% air exchange built into them IIRC.

You need a smoke detector, a C0 detector (made for RV's) and a propane detector (made for RV's) if using propane for cooking or heating. The last two detectors are not cheap but what is your life worth to you?

Edit to add: Do not use residential type detectors, they are not built to take the vibration and bouncing that an RV goes through. RV detectors are hardwired into the house 12V system and don't use batteries. I cannot find a non battery powered smoke detector and my roadtrek came with the type that I replaced i with. I just remove mine (and the battery) while traveling and place it in the seat near the detector location.

Latest posts