Insulation Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the data sheet for Spaceloft. https://www.aerogel.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Spaceloft-Datasheet-English.pdf

Sadly they won't tell you the price unless you fill out a form.

The thermal conductivity is .015 W/m-K. The PVC foam I used as a structural core on my panels is .025... so the Spaceloft is better, but not being able to use it as a structural core limits its usefulness for a camper.
I don't know what a structural core is, but there are different types of aerogel.

I was reading an old article on NASA's website about Aerogel (written 11 years ago). The problem they were having then was it was too delicate. But that was solved using polymirs(sp?)

I think polymirs are mentioned in your quote earlier in this thread.

I meant to tell islanderxx to read up on it to be sure it is no longer fragile and will work in vehicles. Guessing it will be fine, after looking at all the applications it is used for now (at Aspen's website).

Edit: actually, it is used now in electric vehicles. Not for insulating the car, but for... I'll grab the link

Battery Materials
Our carbon aerogel solution helps optimize the energy density of lithium-ion batteries to meet stringent regulatory safety requirements while supporting customer demand for increased drive range.

Are they referring to the batteries in the car?

Last edited: