Floor insulation between ribs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoHiker

Reaction score
I'm worried I might've messed up my floor insulation.  I didn't realize that a vapour barrier is bad.  I cut narrow strips of 1/2" XPS and put the strips in between the ribs of the floor.  The XPS strips aren't flush with the ribs and there's a gap.  I then put double foil facing EPS silverBoard on top, thinking it'd form a radiant barrier, utilizing the gap.  

I thought it was a good idea using the foil coated EPS as a moisture barrier but now I'm thinking the gap will draw condensation and trap vapour.

Should I start over or is the risk of mold and rust minimal?  Oh, I should say that after removing rust I painted the floor with Tremclad anti-rust paint.

I chose the silveRboard as it's advertized as both a sound dampener and radient barrier, in addition to its insulating qualities.

Nevermind....I think I found my answer, so I should be okay....

"Filling the ribs is not necessary or even a good idea. The foam will support many thousands of pounds and the spaces let moisture (if any) escape. I am surprised you didn’t find this?? EXP would work but has no reflective layer and less R value."

Nevermind....I think I found my answer, so I should be okay....

"Filling the ribs is not necessary or even a good idea. The foam will support many thousands of pounds and the spaces let moisture (if any) escape. I am surprised you didn’t find this?? EXP would work but has no reflective layer and less R value."
Reflective insulation systems often require an adjacent air space to function effectively. This air space provides additional thermal resistance and can help reduce convective heat transfer. You might not need the reflective layer for your floor unless you can provide airspace between surfaces.