Instant Pot with solar?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Axel, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers by answering the question you posed by asking "Why complicate things with a large and expensive system when doing it the old fashioned way works just as well (albeit with a little more attention)." That said it seems that you didn't want a answer to your question but rather posed it to invalidate the OP's inquiry and attacking anyone that would do it in anyway other way than how you would. I would like to ask since you mentioned it, how is running out of propane with no back up redundant?

I just want to make a contribution in moving all the way up to the Cadillac of convenience cookers. I have the 6qt Ninja Foodi pressure cooker. It does air frying, broiling, sautéing, slow cooking, pressure cooking, steaming, and baking. I purchased a special made grill for broiling too. So it leaves grill marks on steaks when I grill them. It's a power hog. Although it's rated at 1800 watts AC 110, it tests out at around 1300 watts on average for things like broiling and air frying. On pressure cook settings it runs around 1100 watts. So you need a few top rated batteries and lots of solar.

I use it about 30 minutes for steaks, 10 minutes to preheat the grill and 20 at most to broil. It takes 30 minutes to go from the freezer with frozen chicken wings to the very best restaurant quality chicken wings on the plate. All this takes place in one pot. It's just knowing how. I can make a huge batch of chili in the single pot and use the sautéing feature to rewarm leftovers from the fridge. It makes perfect French Fries from frozen in around 17 minutes. It will pressure cook a full roast in 40 minutes. You can have leftovers for pulled beef or pork tacos, pulled pork barbeque sandwiches etc... It's convenient too. You slide the pot out and wash all the dishes in that same pot. Then you rinse out the pot and you are done.

Most recipes I just set it and forget it. It shuts itself off when its supposed to.

jimindenver said:
Axel, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers by answering the question you posed by asking "Why complicate things with a large and expensive system when doing it the old fashioned way works just as well (albeit with a little more attention)." That said it seems that you didn't want a answer to your question but rather posed it to invalidate the OP's inquiry and attacking anyone that would do it in anyway other way than how you would. I would like to ask since you mentioned it, how is running out of propane with no back up redundant?
Oh boy... First of all it wasn't really a question; more of a statement (there's a reason I didn't put a question mark at the end). I wasn't attacking anyone - only offering an alternative and pointing out that it can be done without a big investment in solar and batteries. There are many on this forum that can't afford a big power generation investment, and I wanted to simply point out that it can be done without electricity. I'm baffled as to why people are so sensitive on this forum.

And you asked about cooking redundancy, so here's my setup: In addition to propane I also carry a small butane single burner stove with several butane bottles (works great). Since I use charcoal for my heater I also carry charcoal briquettes that can be used in my BBQ chimney starter as a single burner stove. Also carry a charcoal grill. When the weather is cold I run a solid fuel heater in the van which burns charcoal, wood, coal, compressed sawdust logs, and it will probably even burn camel dung (haven't tried it yet - no camels nearby). I have cooked on the solid fuel heater in the winter. Anyway, I've never run out of propane (yet), but if I ever do it wouldn't  be a disaster.