Install windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sting

Reaction score
I'm looking at cargo vans and sometimes come across a nice one - but it doesn't have the rear or side windows.

My gut tells me that I'd at least like the rear windows. 

So the question is: how hard is it to install them - I'm thinking maybe I could get some from the auto wrecker and put them in?

Thanks,
Parry

sting said:
I'm looking at cargo vans and sometimes come across a nice one - but it doesn't have the rear or side windows.

My gut tells me that I'd at least like the rear windows. 

So the question is: how hard is it to install them - I'm thinking maybe I could get some from the auto wrecker and put them in?

Thanks,
Parry

It might be easier to swap out the complete doors for some that have windows.

I'm looking at doing that for mine - I have windows but they don't open.

I priced replacement opening windows for my van from the auto glass shop - something like $650. (Canadian) NOT installed - they wouldn't do the swap for me, I was going to have to have a body shop do it.

I can get complete doors from the wreckers for less than that and have the doors changed instead.

On Fords at least... Opening windows swap right in. Buy used.

Doors here in FL can be had for $75. Easy DiY swap. Six bolts.

if you have no windows, it would be a very difficult to install factory windows. the reason for this is the sheet metal around factory windows is reinforced and has a lip that the factory seal fits into. the best thing to do is it what others have said and buy the whole door. of course you could install aftermarket windows, they mount differently. highdesertranger

If you change doors, don't forget to swap the old lock cylinders into the new doors to keep the vehicle as original.

There are aftermarket windows like these

df9d8a77bc56d1d874646f750e72d495.jpg

But for what they would cost with installation it may be wiser to just buy doors from a wrecked Van just like yours and in the same color.  When I got my Van I found a wreck just like it and purchased those windows and their gaskets and all screws etc. 

Being able to open those rear windows on a hot day when traveling can make all the difference.  I don't have to run the A/C nearly as much with the cross flow ventilation.  Thus it saves gas and wear on the A/C so it will be there when I really need it.

Bdog1 said:
On Fords at least...  Opening windows swap right in.  Buy used.

Doors here in FL can be had for $75.  Easy DiY swap. Six bolts.
Where do I find used windows? I live in California. I have a Ford Econoline E350.

"Where do I find used windows? I live in California."

Walt's in Corona. I don't know where in Cali you are at Cali is a big place.

Highdesertranger

Look on Ebay for used and new windows for vans, cargo trailers, RVs etc.