In-line fuse needed for small 10W fan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psartman

Reaction score
I'm running two small 12V fans off of an Ecoflow lithium power station. I was going to switch out the car cig connectors with DC5521 barrel connectors. I discovered that the fans have in-line 2 amp fuses in the cig connectors. Is it really necessary to have such fuses on low amp devices like this- can I just replace the car cig connectors with the DC5521, or do I need to put in new in-line fuse holders?

If anything happens to the wire, a pinch or whatever, causing a short circuit, you'll need a fuse.

I never use to use fuses on my smaller wiring but I had situations where something got shorted out. But instead of fuses I've been using "poly switches", I got them in all different size amperage. You can buy a bag of 50 for less then 10 dollars. They are small in size and easy to put inline for the smaller gauge wire. If something shorts out, the poly switch heats up and that stops the flow of current. Remove the short and the poly switch cools down and it works again. Since I found out about these I been using them on all my low amp devices.

They also sell small glass pin fuses, you can get 100 for 5 dollars. They also work good on small gauge wire.

poly switches
polyswitches.jpg

Attachments

• polyswitches.jpg
    polyswitches.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3
I’d Always prefer too many safety Devices Rather than to few. They don’t cost much and they’re not hard to install. Do it.