Important documents

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
We are getting ready to sell our sticks and bricks and hit the road full-time. We are wondering where full-timers keep important documents such as birth certificates, car titles, marriage license, will, life insurance policies, etc. Things that in the past we kept in a safe deposit box at the bank or in a lockbox in our home. We will probably continue to have a safe deposit box in the town where our daughter lives and share access to it with her. We will travel with digital copies of it all but sometimes you have to have the original document. Appreciate any input or suggestions! Thanks!

In times past we have put important papers (DD 214 for example or a will) on file with the county clerk’s office. We have had notarized copies sent to us from them. It has been years since we needed to do that though. A safe deposit box in a central location works as well. In this day and age digital copies work for most everything. A passport, social security card and driver’s license are pretty much accepted by everyone for personal identification. Birth certificates sometimes need to be an original notarized copy mailed directly from the state that issued it to whom ever is requiring it but they can be obtained by contacting the state office and paying a fee. Really digital copies have worked for almost everything. I would advise carrying a few paper personal checks as we have had occasions where credit cards didn’t work or weren’t accepted. Often seasonal employers require a voided check to set up direct deposit accounts for pay as well.

Last edited:
I have digital copies and/or photos of all important documents and cards on computer and phone.
Important documents rarely needed are kept at my sisters.
Important documents needed but not carried are kept in a fireproof pouch in a locked box in camper or truck.
Drivers license, credit card, permits, and other much used and problematic if lost are kept in a RFID carrier between belt and pants waistband.
Some cash and unimportant but useful stuff is kept in a wallet in back pocket.

I've never had the 'opportunity' to see if a digital copy of anything is accepted in person.
Checks are handy when paying for FS campsites and other stuff. I've run into places that charge a fee for using credit/debit card for payment.
I carry 2 credit cards (one locked up) cuz I'm paranoid.

This is a good question and I have been pondering this for a while. At first, I just assumed I would take all my important docs with me and keep them in a fire resistant box hidden in the van someplace, but then, reading about some folks having their vans stolen makes me rethink this some. I suppose I could leave some of them with my daughter and scan all of them into one of my computers before I go, then I could email them to myself and be able to access them on my phone as well. I am not taking my printer with me. It works fine but is not worth anything but I won't have the space for it for the once or twice I might need it. I guess I can always go to a Kinkos, Office Depot or copy shop with a thumb drive to get something printed out if I have to. I am still not totally sure what I will do with these documents.

More and more places are accepting digital documents and electronic signatures but there are still some that require “wet signed” notarized documents. Fortunately those usually involve insurance or real estate and are seldom an issue. We recently had a difficult time getting a document signed that required not only to be notarized but have two witnesses with permanent addresses We live over 200 miles from any notary and didn’t know a soul in the area where the notary was located. Most banks have a notary but won’t allow their employees to be witnesses, the same with UPS stores, witnesses are up to you to find. We ended up using a real estate company that provided the service and bought a couple their breakfast that happened to be there after a previous unsuccessful trip to the other places.

My friend I was camped with last year had an estate to settle. The town clerk in Quartzsite did the notarizing. You pretty much do have to go to a town to find a place where property transactions happen to find a notary public. Real estate offices, car dealerships, vehicle licensing services, lawyers etc, sometimes even mail forwarding services often get one or more of the employees to become a notary for the convenience of having one on staff. But I never had to find any strangers to do the witnessing. It was always done by other of the employees.

Last edited:
Sometimes original documents are required, but as mentioned can usually be obtained from the entity with which they were filed for a fee (not so good if you are in a hurry). I cringed before putting my passport in the mail for renewal, for example. My spouse needed our marriage license to be eligible for benefits under my Social Security record. Death certificates are needed for estate matters.

One tip: In Texas, having a record of the audit number on the face of your driver's license could save you hours of time at the DPS (DMV equivalent) if you lose it. You can have it replaced on-line that way.