I'm very new. Currently searching for my rig.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revenant

Reaction score
me and bike 2018.jpg

I couldn't be newer, though I have been moving towards this idea for maybe 3 years. When I decided this lifestyle was something that was a fit for me, I didn't even have the money to buy a rig. Now I do. The stars keep aligning and that tells me this is meant to be. I couldn't be more nervous about the purchase of the rig though. I don't have the money to buy a new vehicle, but I do have the money to have plumbing and solar put in a build in a used van. I am wanting a tall large van, possibly a Dodge Promaster. I am staying open minded. I am very anxious about buying such an important vehicle used, after all it will be my home! I am hoping to be on the road at least 10 years. I will have the vehicle carefully inspected before I buy it but I still worry. I work as a consultant and see my clients online and I will be working on the road. There is SO much to consider! I am overwhelmed but I won't give up! I am so grateful for the many helpful people in this community. I attended my first HOWA virtual caravan tonight and got a crash course in cell phone/internet connectivity! I will need it. I plan on bringing my bike, the dualsport motorcycle in the photo. I will be adding a carrier on the back of my rig as I do not want to tow. I hope everything works out as planned, so far it appears doable. Not afraid to travel solo but I also love community so I know I will be a good fit for this. I respect the knowledge of the seasoned nomads in this forum and would appreciate any tips, words of encouragement, or dos and don'ts you think may support me. Thank you, and see you out there soon!

Attachments

• me and bike 2018.jpg
    me and bike 2018.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

We all are nervous when looking for a rig. My advise is to be a patient as possible while looking for the perfect rig.

I started out in my car for weekend trips… then went to mini van for longer trips before I made the leap to a full size van. I wanted to be sure that I would enjoy the lifestyle before putting all my eggs in an expensive basket.

What’s your location? West Mid or East? North or South? I looked for a rig from the southern states to avoid rust issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much Jean. I live in Minnesota where they do use salt on the roads, so rust IS my main concern. I did consider that buying a rig from the southern states would be smart.

I live in an area that salts roads, as well, am on my 3rd little RV in 20 years and have never had corrosion issues due to salt.

We don’t do a lot of driving and camping in our rigs during these salty use times, in my experience, so their exposure to salt is really minimal.

More so from camping and travel in coastal areas, but a regular visit to a wash with a hose to rinse your undercarriage well seems to prevent damage.

I think that keeping our rigs clean and tending promptly to spots of rust is critical.

Jean’s suggestions are excellent.

I would certainly get out there and try the lifestyle before committing a lot of dollars to a rig.

Good luck!

At the moment I own a Chrysler town and country van. It is in excellent condition with only 70,000. I have decided to take it on the road temporarily to begin to adjust and understand this lifestyle. I have a bed, stove and cooler. I need to fashion window coverings and I'll be set. I'll venture out a few days at a time, eventually seeing what it is like to see clients on my laptop in my van. This way I can begin to figure things out before buying the big rig.

I'd also love to learn how to put a profile pic up and also how to properly reply directly to comments on my post. :)

^To reply using QUOTE...............Be sure to get the cursor "Outside the box".............then type your reply

NEW REPLY if you want to add pictures or fancy text

PROFILE PIC is an AVATAR...........you find that under USER CP...........Top Left of the page....... Green Button

Welcome to the forum. It’s always nice to meet new folks on the road and on the forum. :) :) :)

Hey you are in the right place now!

I believe you will find, as I have, that a trail capable bike is really nice to have when you are 'out there' but the KLR-650 is a bit heavy and needs a fair amount of room around it when hauling it or even loaded on a bumper carrier. Loading it on a bumper carrier can be quite an effort. For a solo female, I suspect it will be more effort than you expect.

I have a good friend with one, and he can haul it on the back bumper hitch of his 3/4 ton pickup, (pickups are body-on-frame) but even with that, it makes the front end kinda 'floaty'...it's all about weight distribution and balance. 

If your target van is something like a Promaster, which is front wheel drive, you might need to downsize your two-wheeler...something like a Yamaha TW200 or a Honda Trail 125...along those lines. Trouble is, they are in short supply right now. I was looking for a bike along those lines and ended up with something less capable, but still lightweight and usable for a grocery-getter and a campground-get-around bike. What we used to call a 'pit-bike'...something like a Honda Ruckus or along those lines.

I know you love the KLR....but its gonna be a ball-n-chain unless you buy an actual toy-hauler or cargo trailer to carry it in...or you could upgrade the target van to something like a full-size Ford Transit or MB Sprinter, and with either of those you can get them in DRW (dual rear wheel)..this would give you plenty of capacity at the back end of the rig.

Just do some research, the receiver tow hitch socket under the rear bumper of the smaller vans may or may not be rated for a 500 pound unsupported load, and uni-body vans, like the Promaster, tend to come up a bit short when it comes to trailering specs.

Otherwise, good luck to you and keep us posted!

Cargo trailer comes to mind, and holds your spot while you are out & about in the van. I have seen some big bikes on the bumper of the larger motor homes.
-crofter

Well at least one person did a rear mount rack, lightweight. Others are front mount for motorcycles and replaces the front bumper.

Thanks crofter...Just FYI: A dual sport motorcycle is going to weigh a lot more than a couple of bicycles. 

And also: A 500 pound motorcycle and hitch carrier is a bit too much for a FWD unibody van. Yes, people do it. No, it's not recommended, or safe.

A smaller motorcycle, OR a larger more capable (body on frame, RWD) van, then yes, it will work.

Revenant said:
At the moment I own a Chrysler town and country van. It is in excellent condition with only 70,000. I have decided to take it on the road temporarily to begin to adjust and understand this lifestyle. I have a bed, stove and cooler. I need to fashion window coverings and I'll be set. I'll venture out a few days at a time, eventually seeing what it is like to see clients on my laptop in my van. This way I can begin to figure things out before buying the big rig.

Great! That's exactly how you should do it!

Welcome to the forum.

The good thing about a PM van is easy to build & cheaper than Transit by about $10K.

Used fleet vans are available to make your deal. But there is a bit (couple inches) of low clearance factor, and it goes all the way across at the PM rear axle. A rough backroads stopper.

Sounds like you have some research to do. Cargurus site is a good place to compare deals you can get and where the used fleets are.
-crofter

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-RAM-ProMaster-d2229

abnorm said:
^To reply using QUOTE...............Be sure to get the cursor "Outside the box".............then type your reply

NEW REPLY if you want to add pictures or fancy text

PROFILE PIC is an AVATAR...........you find that under USER CP...........Top Left of the page....... Green Button
YAY! I figured it out. Thank you.

nature lover said:
Welcome to the forum. It’s always nice to meet new folks on the road and on the forum. :) :) :)
Thank you. "escaped from a nursing home" super funny as I've worked at a few including locked units with escapees!! LOL!

tx2sturgis said:
 For a solo female, I suspect it will be more effort than you expect.
All good information, except the above. Lol. I am am a weightlifter so not your average female. 
Absolutely still a heavy bulky bike to roll up on a carrier and I have considered a smaller bike. You know how bikers are though, we fall in love with our machines. I won't get rid of her so easy. Haha. If there is a way, I will find it. I love a challenge! 
 Thank you for all your suggestions, I sincerely appreciate them. I am looking into capacity etc of different vehicles including possibly upgrading suspension. I love my bike, so it's not over till its over, then a trailer will likely be the default :)

crofter said:
 there is a bit (couple inches) of low clearance factor, and it goes all the way across at the PM rear axle. A rough backroads stopper.
Thank you. For a van with crap clearance, I plan to add a lift kit. I have definitely considered this with the rig I choose as my bike is known for substantial clearance and can go in areas most cruisers would bog down in. Plus a lift kit is badass. (can you swear in here? LOL)  :angel: