I'm sailing away

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting closer every day! My own plans for RTR keep getting moved back, I may only get a few days there

Ever do so much in a short period that you can't remember it all? I think I've got most sorted through and am ready to start packing the trailer up. I keep mentioning those bunks as my storage, the top holds four 48 quart storage bins with four 20 quart sitting on top of them. The bottom bunk will hold 8 48 quart bins but I think four plus a four drawer dresser will do with some clear space at the front to set things out of the way. I may still add two 30x12 wall cabinets if I have time.

I guess my mounting job with the panels held. We had wicked winds ripping up big trees but the panels are still up there. :)

I was at HD for 4x4 post and wanted a new 1/2 inch drill. You can buy a whole set of cordless tools for what you pay for one decent corded 1/2 inch drill. Might have been okay except I have the other tools already and I really dislike it when a battery goes dead in the middle of a job. They didn't have flat black BBQ paint in stock, I'll have to check around so that I can repaint the solar sport oven.

One thing I appreciate Amazon for is that they do not have a concrete floor to wreak havoc on my back. Between Walmart for meds and bins, HD for 4x4s and the drill and two trips to Bed bath and beyond for a down comforter, my back is calling uncle for the rest of the night. This is when I sort paper work, pictures, Christmas stuff and tonight four OLD hard drives that I am just making sure nothing is important on. I'd rather have a 3 TB portable and will likely just leave those old ones behind.

Five more days. I think once I am far enough to dewinterize I will give myself a few days to decompress before continuing on.

decompression good, cement floors bad
I've worked most of my life on cement, and while my back is sound, my feet and knees not so much

Wow

Our health insurance company stopped providing coverage in Colorado so I had to go through the whole process again. I was worried because there were no plans with the kind of coverage we had. I call them the paying to go broke if you get sick plans. The deductibles and co-pays are so high that you end up paying for your care unless it is major. Even then the co-pay will break you. I would have had to get something one way or another because I am one slip, trip or fall from a wheel chair and that's if I am lucky. I can't work and have no income so they put me on medicaid. This should be interesting.

Happy New years all! Here's to new starts and a new LIFE!

I might get out of here tomorrow but it won't be early like I had hoped. So tonight I am doing a few loads of laundry and tucking the last things into the trailer sitting out front. Debating on the grocery in the morningThen at 9 am HomeDepot opens and we can get the bulbs we need since someone just couldn't remember what kind....

It is cold. I tried warming the trailer up after it was 19 degrees this morning, the furnace didn't shut off until I turned it off. I'd hate to have to do a parking lot like that if I couldn't get out of here.

Well it really will be a New Year for you in more ways than one. I hope it's a Happy one  :D.  Other than cold is there snow and ice along with?  I hope not.  I wish you safe travels and a truly Happy New Year!!

Jewellan and Queenie

medicaid is pretty durn good, at least here, hopefully yours will be too

Godspeed....fair winds....and following seas Jim as you sail away in this new venture in your life.....may your bounty always be plentiful!

Congrats Jim, you're really making some good progress!  You'll figure out how to get the rig comfortable in cooler weather.  I've spent quite a few nights in mine is barely above 0 degree weather and with a few stragetically placed blankets and some 1/4" insulation board I sleep with it at 60 degrees inside and furnace cycles on and off.  During the day I keep it a bit higher at 65 to 68 and still cycles on and off.  I'm actually thinking of pulling the furnace before I sell this thing, I've fallen in love with it.  

I got on medicare when I became disabled and I have to say it's pretty good.  I also have Massachusetts state health insurance which is also really good.  It's the only thing I think Massachusetts does right.  However, I shot myself in the proverbial foot and drained one of my IRA's to do the house over, because it's something that needed to be done to move closer to living on the road and I got sick of life standing still.  So I wont be eligible for subsidized health ins in 2017.  Knock on wood my lyme disease doesn't have one of it's random flare ups that lands me in the hospital.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too Jim. Look forward to hearing you're launched. Houston says all systems a go, just waiting on you to turn the key.

Thank you all.

I didn't make it to the road until 1 pm but I did make it. I barely made Raton pass with daylight and am now in the first rest stop past Raton. I did get to the grocery for some basics and easy meals for the road. Tonight it was a hamburger patty and a can of ravioli and I can tell you freedom taste good. Cooking on the stove helped warm the trailer up and the furnace is cycling now.

With nothing to do but organize a bit I put on my jammies and started testing the hotspots. The Verizon 3G shows a signal but no bars. The T-Mobile shows a full LTE signal. Cricket LTE and Freedompop 4G are strong. The three Sprint devices show nothing LTE or 3G. That's without the Sleek booster.

I'm not sure where I will lay over tomorrow night but I hope to stop and pick up a panel in Albuquerque.

every time i see this thread this happens in my head

[video=youtube]

I hate Raton Pass in good weather.  Glad to hear you're heading south.  I'm following your travels because I live in a 22ft TT and enjoy your updates.  Safe travels!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary, that is exactly where it came from. :)

Art, you're next.

Closeanuf, thank you and i look forward to yours too. The pass isn't bad, nothing like Crow hill or the like.

Coming out of Las Vegas I was hit by a gust of wind and changed lanes without even trying. I had to drop down to 50MPH or be blown all over the road. I stopped for gas and noticed a piece of trim had almost ripped off the bottom of the trailer and the plastic attachments all busted. It's held on with packing tape. The good news is my panels are still on the roof so I think I did good.

I pulled into Albuquerque to pick up the 435w panel. No one was at the address given which turns out to be a trucking company. The seller rents space in the yard but the offices where the panels are stored are closed today. He asked if I was here for the night, I said only if I can find a truck stop or such to lay over. A minute later I was parking in the lot next to his trucks and I'll be here for the night. I have a key to the gate if I want to get out if I want and he even offered to roll me a fatty for when he checks on me later. As Bob says, life is good.

So tonight it is more organizing, a sponge bath and dinner. After that the 4Gcommunity hotspot is at full power so I'll be watching movies. I was doing that last night and decided to turn in early only to wake up at 2:30 am ready to go. I generally sleep only 5 hours so going to bed early means I wake up early, real early. The other thing is the bed is set up for cold with two sleeping bags on the mattress, a mattress pad, flannel sheets and two down comforters. I would get cozy, fall asleep, get hot, kick off the covers and wake up cold. I guess I'll turn up the heat and take one of the comforters off tonight.

The shop opens at 7:30 am so I'll be on the road early, not sure where I'll be tomorrow night.

Glad you made it out Jim, the weather is getting cold again and snow is in the forecast here. Wish I was heading south also, but instead, next Monday afternoon I head out to drive to Fargo ND. I have some of the same back issues etc that you have - fell off a roof 20 years ago. I have to say, this is the first winter in many that I'm not aching to the bones. I went gluten free back in September to see if it would help. First thing I noticed was my stomach got much better in just a couple days, I was eating Tums like candy prior. Next I noticed I lost 20 lbs in maybe a month and a half without reducing how much I ate - probably due to eating much less processed food. And with the reduction in aches and pains I'm sticking to it. It doesn't help everyone, but it's certainly worth trying. And it realy isn't that hard to do anymore as so much is naturally gluten free. It just means being more aware of what's in what we eat.

So tonight it is more organizing, a sponge bath and dinner. After that the 4Gcommunity hotspot is at full power so I'll be watching movies. I was doing that last night and decided to turn in early only to wake up at 2:30 am ready to go. I generally sleep only 5 hours so going to bed early means I wake up early, real early. The other thing is the bed is set up for cold with two sleeping bags on the mattress, a mattress pad, flannel sheets and two down comforters. I would get cozy, fall asleep, get hot, kick off the covers and wake up cold. I guess I'll turn up the heat and take one of the comforters off tonight.

One of my little issues is going to bed at 8PM Get up at 4 and make coffee wait 2 plus hours for the sunrise I watch a little antenna TV don't read never have, lucky to get through some of the longer posts. A D D or one of those fancy new diagnosis probably applies, do not have the weather issue you have living on the coast 40 is very cold and 90 is very hot, hope to run into you all soon will be wearing a name tag so will my truck.
I have sleeping bag down but usually wind up under 2 heavy Pendleton wool blankets I believe the weight keeps me secure and in bed lol like someone sleeping on top of me.

Latest posts