I'm plan on attending RTR!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcys Road

Reaction score
I plan on driving about 2600 miles to the RTR in at least my 1999 Ford Explorer Sport. I have about 85% of everything ready and was looking for pointers, advice, or even even a checklist of what I may not be thinking of.

Is there a specific part of the forums for the RTR? I'm having trouble finding it.

Thank you for your time.

That's over 5000 miles round trip and $1000 gas....

that's amazing Riverman that you know their MPG. a lot of people drive long distances to come to the RTR. I know someone on their way from Newfoundland. now that's a long drive. come on over and see what you're missing. highdesertranger

Amazing? A 99 ford may get around 15 mpg, more or less.

Glad to see you came back! ​
[align=justify]Don't forget the marshmallows... lol :)

Thank you everyone! I do need advice on apps for the trip. Google Maps is good for the general info. GasBuddy for gas stops. What do you all use for finding places to sleep at night? If it helps any, I'm driving in my car from very north central PA southwest to Memphis for a one day stop. Then continue out to the RTR.I leave on Monday. Any help is appreciated as I have never done such a thing before.

Thank you

during a 12 state cross country trip I found the free app ioverlander to be very useful in finding free places to sleep.

In Kentucky overnight on my way! This will be my only motel stop! I'll be delayed in Memphis for about a day to see relatives that I haven't seen in 30 years.

The open road & RTR awaits you, have a safe & fun journey.

An accident in Tennessee has totaled my vehicle. All of my possessions are scattered over the highway, including my ID. I have the clothes on my back and my phone. Nothing else. The relatives I tried to see no longer live in the house they had been in for 30 years. I have nothing left.

Thank you all.

Sorry to hear that, glad you're ok. Hope the best for you, hang in there...

Do you have insurance? Can you go to a temporary shelter nearby for now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I was able to print out a non picture driver's license, but that's been only partly helpful. I was able to recover 1 credit card and a couple of changes of clothes. I was with relatives but they couldn't have me anymore so I've been in a motel since Saturday afternoon. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'm alone, scared, hungry and I want to go back to PA.

I'm so sorry. You are probably in shock. Was the accident a solo accident or were any other vehicles involved? Do you have auto insurance? if so, does it cover car rental? do you have money to fly home?

Arcys Road said:
  I'm alone, scared, hungry and I want to go back to PA.

Sorry you're in this predicament.  Since you're in a safe spot for now, use this time to find organizations that you can contact that can shelter you until you're able to gather your resources to fly home.  Wish there was more I could say to help.  Take care and let us know how it works out ...

Latest posts