Illness and pet care.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacetara

Reaction score
Hi,<br><br>There have been huge threads on here about keeping our pets safe, I've been contemplating getting a dog to travel with me for a while now, and hopefully sometime this year can make that happen, but I've been thinking....<br><br>In January I was in the hospital, just for a day, so not a huge deal, but now with Cheri in the hospital for a day or two at least, and it has gotten me to thinking, what happens when you aren't camped out next to an awesome group like Cyndi, Katie, Trish and the rest that are caring for Toni while Cheri is in the hospital?<br><br>I know if I happened to be close to one of my van dweller friends, or other friend, I could probably get someone to watch a pet for a few days, but what if I wasn't near any of my friends?&nbsp; Then what?<br><br>(can you tell I've never had a pet all to myself before?)<br><br>Anyways, I know this is a what if, but it's really come to my forethought recently with Cheri and myself both ending up in the hospital since the new year.<br><br>With Love,<br>Tara

Glad you started this thread Tara! Cheri and I were talking about this a little while ago. We want to use this thread to share some ideas about this topic. There is much that we can do to prepare for such situations. I have always carried an "in case of emergency" packet in the door pocket of the van. This includes shot records, vet name and number, feeding instructions, emergency phone numbers, and contingency plans in case of my illness or death. Mine needs serious updating since Ron died.

If I wasn't near friends or family, Mutt would likely be taken to the local shelter until arrangements could be made. My emergency contacts would make sure he was moved to a kennel somewhere until someone (family, or one of the tribe) could get to him.

Cheri and I will add more thoughts later!

I keep an emergency pet fund,and like Katie said all information needed in case of an emergency. In the emergency packet is some cash that would serve to keep Stumpy at a vets or boarding kennel until either I or my son could get her. It's about $20 dollars a day for a stumpy-size dog, I figure $30&nbsp;for 7 days will keep her safe.<br><br>My biggest problem would be that I don't vaccinate, yearly. Some kennels would not accept her without vaccinations done recently, especially the bortadella.