How do you people do it? Having a pet cat

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always plan for the worst case scenario. Not because I am a pessimist, in fact just the opposite. I generally think everything will be just fine. But I believe in contingency thinking; in other words, imagining all the things that could happen if this and if that, and having fail-safes for those things. This goes double...maybe triple...when it comes to keeping my animals safe.

I would never leave cats loose in a moving vehicle. So many are lost forever because of an accident that frightens them terribly and they bolt out of the vehicle through a broken window or opened door and now they are in a totally strange environment. Maybe they are used to city and they are in a wilderness, or vice versa, and they can't cope. Many are never seen again. This goes for dogs as well, although a dog might not run away and pretty much any cat will. A doggie seatbelt is useful; won't work with a cat.

@BelgianPup , your fence idea wouldn't work for cats, unless you could make it all enclosed with the top covered over very securely as well. A cat could be up and over that fencing even if it were 6 feet tall, in 2 seconds flat. You'd be inside of a cage yourself as well if you did that, and there'd still be a risk when you needed to open it up to go out of it.

I never let my cat out of the comfortable large crate until we were stopped for the night. And then, only in the motel room or in the truck while we ate dinner and slept, and then had breakfast in the truck. Then it was back into the crate for travel.

I wasn't offering some 4 ft fencing as the be-all and end-all of cat safety, but as one layer of containment. You travel week after week, month after month, with your cat in the crate? ☹️. Not much of a life, is it?

I started out with my 12 year old cat in a van and we found out what worked for both of us. A ice chest on a non slip rubber mat with a towel over it provides a cool cave for fur people. I kept a roof vent running with slightly open windows. No excessive heat even in Quartzsite. Of course I insulted things extremely well.

After being left behind once, my cat made sure not to wander off. Home is a safe spot. My current 3 rescue cats will come when they hear me whistle. Cat herding is a skill.

I wasn't offering some 4 ft fencing as the be-all and end-all of cat safety, but as one layer of containment. You travel week after week, month after month, with your cat in the crate? ☹️. Not much of a life, is it?
Nope, I have never travelled " week after week" let alone "month after month" with my cat. Didn't say I had.

I took my cat travelling but only for going places, from here to there, maybe another place, for one to two weeks at a time maximum. He was, of course, out of the crate if we were visiting someone or, as I said, in a motel on the rare occasions we stayed in one. He was not in the crate when we stopped to park for the night. He was only in the crate when the truck was actually moving. Most of the time we were moving he was sleeping, content in a very comfortable and protected place. He would have been sleeping anyway, but the crate protected him while I was driving. Of course I would never make an animal live all the time in a crate.

I've met people in two camps. Ones who only drive with their animals in crates and ones who don't. When I was in the jeep without the motorhome and we were traveling from motel to motel to friends and family, we had them in a 2' x 4' tent structure while on the road. They refused to eat, drink, use the bathroom. They were miserable. Kai would cry and claw the doors. This happened whenever we traveled, after months of these experiences.

We bought a classic aircraft aluminum 26' Class A that looks like a box truck and a bus had a baby. Even if we're in an accident, unless it's catastrophic, I doubt the wall or windows will open up most of the time. Does this happen often in RVs? Maybe, but I think my cats would rather hide in the rig than run out, though I know that does happen. I've had other Class A FT'ers tell me they don't cage their cats on the road. I've also met people with dogs who fall into both camps, both in RVs and other vehicles. I understand about planning for worse case scenarios, but that can also box you into not doing anything that isn't miserable for safety's sake.

All said...Weighing options, haven't decided yet. Hoping to not move more than once a week, tops. We'll see.

Thanks for the fencing idea, but I think they'd just go right over it, even 8' high. For longer term stays, I would entertain an awning room, if I could find someone giving one away... they seem to cost $$$$!

FWIW...we bought a new set of harnesses and have been trying to train Kai this past week. Puff won't even entertain it, but she's never been a problem. Found one that Kai can't seem to get out of, but he's utterly miserable, and won't move. He stopped dashing out the door, though. So that's good. They need more movement than they can get in the RV. Will keep trying...

If I had a Class A, I would probably want to crate my animals. I did rear face my youngest child in a Britax (expensive children's car seat that was trendy in '09ish) after all.

The owner's manual of my '07 minivan recommends wedging the crates into the floor wells between the seats.

Since I can't afford to throw away my clothes after wearing them, eat an exclusively fast food diet, or stay in multi-hundred dollar pet friendly motel rooms every night, I do appear to be Xtreme in the opposite direction.

But I am not your enemy.

There is room for my pets' food stash on the front passenger seat, but I keep it looking nice with a fuzzy rug to hide my poverty, three pretty pet beds from Mallwart, and dashboard decorations that I try to keep looking like an altar or a piece of conceptual art.

It all goes into the trashcan and the dogs get debarked if the locals complain because what else can you do?

Because there is not an extreme amount of information being shared on Youtube/blogs/this forum about traveling with cat, just wanted to add my cat/van experience to this thread. Please believe: all animals have different preferences and personalities and therefore have different needs and you'll have a unique experience with each pet you take on the road.

Characteristics of my cat: scared easily, prefers quiet places and only humans she knows. She hated her hard sided carrier when going to vet so I tried a different soft sided carrier and she hated it too. She would pee in fear in the carriers and meow meow meow. (and yes, I would leave the carrier out in my living room and put treats in it and she just never came around to liking them). She also does not play with toys of any type even if I try to get her too : )

When I went on a six week trip last year, I had a roommate that could care for her and my heart could tolerate being apart for 6 weeks. I am now full time and have no one to take her, and besides that, caring for her is super important for my mental health. Rehoming her permanently (i.e. leaving at a shelter or finding a new permanent home directly) is not an option, as the majority of pet owners will understand. Firmly, not an option to give up my pet. She was my grannie's cat (and my granny has since passed).

Earlier this year I had a very special opportunity to keep my minivan in a heated garage while dog sitting for 6 weeks (March-Feb), and it was right before my lease ended. I used this as an opportunity to see if my cat could acclimate to living in the van. For about a week I didn't drive it, and slept in it with her the whole 6 weeks of course.

After the first week I started taking the van on short errands, like grocery store. I covered surfaces with ***puppy pee pads, as she would have accidents when the van first started up (it scared her; involuntary poop usually). That happened like four times. But she acclimated quicker than I expected, and soon she was comfortable enough to use her litter box while the van was moving (the first time she did I knew we were rockin' and rollin'!).

She did pee on my bed one time. It was a matter of getting the right cleaning supplies and using my sister's Bissel wet vac. I highly recommend using puppy pads until a week or two after you think they're comfortable.

Soon she started curling up and snoozing while the van was moving.

Don't forget SCRATCHER PAD(s) (she is happy with the basic cardboard rectangle like from any grocery store). Cats have a genuine need to stretch their fingers/claws/back and that's what scratchers are for.

At this point, the whole van is my cat's "safe space". In an apartment, she would run under a bed or behind a couch when scared, but now the whole van is her safe space. If she is outside of it and scared, she darts back inside and up onto the driver's seat.

I have a harness for her, and a leash, but she doesn't "go on walks". She hates the harness still and may never like it- all cats are different. I just use it to let her lay in the grass and sniff the grass and stuff. At one point I thought she was doing good, and I got a much longer leash because I wanted her to be above to just slink about the woods we were in. However, a terrible thing happened. She got scared and ran under the van- cool, that's fine; she's done that before. But, the horrible thing was that she climbed up into the undercarriage and got super tangled and at one point was just like hanging in her harness. I had to cut the leash and she was able to free herself. Learned two lessons: never let her run under the van on a leash again, and long leashes get tangled around trees/tires/etc.

I let her roam free when I'm in a neighborhood like staying in my sister's driveway, but if I'm in a campground she doesn't get to roam free. I think it's best that dogs must be leashed in campgrounds, and cats shouldn't be allowed to roam in campgrounds either, that's totally fair. I'm unsure if I should allow her to roam free if doing dispersed camping- she does always manage to find her way back and I don't think she goes too far but- I basically don't want her to be poking around other people's rigs and stuff. Also, if you're trying to adhere to "leave no trace", letting a cat/dog roam free ain up to par- they leave a mark on the ecosystem whether it's just trampling greenery, scratching up stuff, catching rodents/birds, etc.

I wish I had a larger vehicle (I'm in a minivan) as my cat still gets "zoomies", which are stunted inside van (seems like she takes a crap around 9:30 every night and rockets out of the litter box lol). Wish I could afford the purchase price and gas for a Class B at least.

I also am very concerned about summer heat. If you aren't worried about heat and you're reading this, you need to know that heat kills animals inside vehicles in a matter of minutes. Heat is deadly. When it is 80 degrees outside, it can be like 130 degrees inside in minutes.

In my van I have an outside temp indicator, and I've found when that reads 72 and above outside, it's starting to get too hot. Probably not deadly until outside reads 75 or above but I'm no expert on that, and with my cat I'm risk-adverse. If I'm sweating just sitting there, I'm sure she's even hotter and can't cool down as easily as me- not good. I decided I will never leave her in the van without AC - unless I'm parked **in the shade** AND **it's under 72 degrees** outside AND I leave my (screened) windows down. Will this mean rarely leaving the van? I guess maybe.

After dog sitting, I headed to southern Appalachia because spring/warmer temps come earlier there than where I was in Michigan. In Appalachia, I've sat in the van running the AC during peak heat times (well, I work FT using cell signal and I was sitting in the van anyway). I wasn't willing to even go into the grocery store unless I could park in the shade and it was under 72.

Next week we leave Appalachia for high elevation in Colorado. Lots of people do this for the same reason I am- the higher the elevation, the lower the temperature.

I'm going to try some sun deflection, finding/creating shade to park under, reflectix window covers, and a fan.

My big thing is that I love hiking and want to be gone for hours. Scenic hiking trails are possibly the biggest reason I am in my van. When I live in sticks n bricks, I'm just not healthy. I get depressed, I don't move my body like to go hike or bike (and just haven't been able to get into plain ol' workouts or gyms); I just find myself sitting in my armchair and eating delivery pizza all the time. But when I'm living out of my van, I move much much more, eat better, and the adventure is good for my spirit.

If the weather temps are not forecasted to be under 72 for the day, I'll have to adjust my schedule to being with her during the hottest times of the day. I worry about what if something happens to me and I don't make it back to the van. I worry that it will get too hot while I'm gone and I won't make it back quickly enough. I am not going to take risks with her life and the heat though, so I may just be "stuck" not hiking much.

After I learn things this summer, I'll try to report back.

If anyone sees this thread and knows from experience I'm being ridiculous about the <~72 degrees + shade thing, please let me know.
I've been traveling full time in a travel trailer with 2 different cats since 2011. My first cat got lymphoma and went to heaven in 2016. 4 months later I agreed to foster a cat for my neighbor for "a few weeks". A few weeks has turned into almost 6 years running :) At the time I was not emotionally ready for any kind of pet, and not wanting to take on that responsibility yet. But it was unacceptable to me to allow her to go to a shelter, so I kept her. I'm like you, my entire life revolves around her; but she really is a labor of love. I live in Florida so keeping her cool is a constant job.
But I NEVER let her out, no matter where we travel. Things can spook a cat, they could run off and never be seen again. Then there is always someone who "hates cats" Personally I hate these people, and if someone like that harmed my cat I would inflict whatever harm they did back on them myself. Then there are some people with aggressive dogs that they don't always control. And other wildlife or feral cats that might attack my cat.
I guess what I'm saying is what you already know; this is a full time job! It sounds like you love your cat and constantly think of her care. But I would not let her outside anymore. Mine gets her exercise by jumping from dinnette to kitchen counter, leaping onto her personal "loft" above the bed (which is part of the original bunkbed I cut out) She does have 20 feet inside for zooming, and I toss her toys around periodically for her to chase :)

Hi Gary,
I’ve had my cat living with me in my Ford E150 van for four years now, and we’re both happy. My cat is indoor outdoor; I don’t let her out without a harness and leash if we’re in unfamiliar territory, but I mostly orbit between about 6 locations, and she knows those areas. If I’m in any one of those areas (one is the parking lot at my workplace), I open her cat door and she can come in and out according to her needs. The cat door is cut into the step on the side of the van, and I’ve attached a step under it; she comes through the hole like a seal though a hole in the ice. The hole is closed by a rigid foam piece at night or when we are driving. She wears an Apple AirTag on her collar which assists me in locating her when I return to the van. Also, I reward her with a small food treat every time she rejoins me at the van, which means that she generally shows up in a timely manner. The van is insulated, and has a ceiling vent with a temperature activated fan, so that it is never hotter inside than outside. If it’s 100 degrees outside, it will be about 100 degrees inside; not comfortable, but not life threatening for either of us. Cats don’t usually spray unless they are engaged in a territory war, so a single cat usually won’t spray in their “nest space”. Lastly, I feed my cat a veterinary approved raw diet (from Darwins.com) which is what cats were designed to eat; therefore her litter box doesn’t smell overmuch. She prefers to eliminate outside if conditions permit, anyway. A small hand vac is very useful for any stray litter, cat hair, or miscellaneous dirt that gets on my small floor.
LOVE the Apple AirTag idea...Thanks for that!

I'd never thought I'd like having a cat until I had one. Their personalities vary a bit, but the two I've had were very affectionate when they wanted to be, and the rest of the time they just did their thing. They could come and go as they pleased, didn't have to clean up after them or take them for walks, just put out food and water. Dogs take a lot more attention, training, and work. They also tend to make a lot of noise. Seems like the thing people love about dogs is the devotion and loyalty; always glad to see you... always eager to please.
I know what you mean about cats. I've had 5 and 2 dogs. The thing is -- once when I had the flu, my eldest cat would not leave my side. She'd go eat and go outside/litter, but she'd return promptly. She would occasionally lick me briefly on my forehead - was she checking my temperature ?Anyway, she'd play tag with me, chase the "whirly-gig" maple seeds as long as I'd throw them in the air and she could always communicated exactly what she wanted and was excellent at guarding the house (one low growl and I'd know there was something outside). The trick with cats - is to start talking with them when they're young or as soon as possible ... I taught mine the meaning "show me" and they would take me to what they wanted. They are affectionate and good communicators. My older cat would also take a walk around the block when my husband walked the dog in the evening - no leash required. She also trained the dog to sit still while she cleaned her ears - Maggie wasn't happy about it, but she she knew she'd get popped on the nose if she didn't permit it. Dog or cat - get one.

I've had 14 cats in my life, and I can say pretty definitively that you never can tell what you're gonna get. Someone gave me an older cat who just about licked my skin off the first night I had her, from the first day she would be restless unless she could be looking at my face as I slept, if I turned over, she moved to the other side of me. Other than that, totally undemanding but liked to be close. She was neutral toward anyone but me, but that bond was instantaneous.

I have had cats who were inseparable from each other and really didn't care which humans came or went. I had to rehome a cat who simply couldn't get along with anyone. I had a cat whose favorite activity was to toss a string of beads in the air (she often hit the ceiling) and catch them. She would also make extreme eye contact and then sit in the lap of any stranger who came in the house. ("I am actually Nolan Ryan, I am Nolan Ryan, Hear Me, Human!)

I personally have never had a cat who was happy traveling. I can see that they exist, perhaps it's a matter of early experience / positive experience. I moved four cats and myself across the country in my Sienna, and that was an experience I will never repeat!!!

I think the pet cat is ok, the docile cat is easy to carry, even travel with you, it will not run around and disappear, you can save worry during the journey.

The worst that can happen is a sad way of living life. Go for the adventure. This is Tigger on the ATV. He lived another 6 years and died in bed next to his favorite human. He almost made 20. 82617498-7CF6-49F4-8068-FEBA70FCE62E.jpeg

^GO TIGGER !

Cats are out there traveling............In Pirate Camp Today we've got Two Cats and a Doug...............THREE Cats in a Prius(one in a wheelchair)..............Two cats in a Class C................and finally Two Cats in a Truck Camper

Resident DOGS Chili, Hank and Daisy are outnumbered

Howdy! I have to echo others here--the temperament of the cat plays a huge role. My kitty is 12 years old and has been traveling with me since she was four weeks old. She has a nylon, folding dog crate (that can comfortably hold a 40 lb dog). While we're traveling, she likes to look out the window when she's not napping. She stays in the crate while we're traveling, and is content, even on long rides.

She has a high prey drive and will catch anything that moves, despite being a 100% indoor kitty. When she was younger, she liked to go out (on a harness and leash only) and sit in the grass for about ten minutes per day. She stopped asking to go outside when when she was about 8 years old.

I make sure she has sunny spots with space just for her (kitty condos, special blankets, etc) where she can watch the world go by. She grew up in the city in a very busy condo complex where she enjoyed watching birds in the trees, hummingbirds visiting the feeder on my balcony, as well as humans walking by, and a weekly favorite--the garbage truck coming to empty the dumpsters in the complex. She could watch three being emptied from her perch in my dining room window. She would run to her spot in the window as soon as she heard the garbage truck each week. I'm not sure what fascinated her about the process, but something did, LOL.

In any case, my kitty travels well, but is very accustomed to it. I do my best to limit our travel to a maximum of 6 hours per day before stopping for the night; although on rare occasions traffic does not cooperate and we've gone a bit longer. She has food, water, and litterbox in her crate, but has never used any of the three during our travels, which is one reason I like to keep the trips short. We are usually on the road during the time of day that she power-naps anyway, so not using her provided food, water and facilities for five to six hours is not unusual for her whether we're moving or parked.

We're currently in Colorado. She is lying in a sunbeam watching chipmunks and birds in the forest outside of her favorite window. She is an awesome travel companion, and still romps around like a kitten. She loves to play fetch, which satisfies the prey drive and keeps her fit. I throw her toy of choice from the driver's seat into the bedroom at the back of my Class C, which is about 20 feet or so. All of that to say that she adjusts to whatever space we're in as long as she has an accessible window, her toys, and a familiar routine. :) Hope this helps!

Happy Travels,
Willow

The worst that can happen is a sad way of living life.
For me, thinking of and preparing for the worst that could happen means I and my animals can thoroughly enjoy life because I know that no matter what happens I will be able to deal with it effectively.

Once I make my plans and backups I never think about it again and can totally relax. It is the person who never plans for possibilities that ends up in a tragic situation because they didn't think ahead or prepare for a possibility that X might happen.

Kind of like wearing seat belts. You don't go around thinking you will get into an accident, but you wear one just in case you do. Once it's on you don't worry about it, it's just there to keep you safe.

I think the pet cat is ok, the docile cat is easy to carry, even travel with you, it will not run around and disappear, you can save worry during the journey.
All cats are different just like all dogs or people or anything else. Some cats absolutely would hate travelling. My current cat? forget it!
Others take to it. Some would take off if they had the chance, others wouldn't dream of it. My dogs are excellently trained and I know what I can trust them to do or not do, but at the same time I never forget they are dogs and even the best trained dog can do something unexpected now and then. It is my job to make sure they are safe.
It pays to know your animals well and make appropriate accommodations if you are going to travel with them. I have seen all sorts of scenarios with travelling animals, and it always lifts my heart when I see a contented travelling animal.