I'll be quiet at the next RTR - promise

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruet

Reaction score
At the last RTR I had to run my generator in the morning to bulk charge my batteries.  I'm sure that this made me a bit unpopular with my neighbors.  Sorry about that. 

After listening to a talk by Jim In Denver, I decided that I needed to add more solar panels.  So I did and now won't have to be so noisy with the generator (except to run the microwave, that is...) 

My RV has a Zamp system installed, but I didn't want to purchase an additional Zamp panel due to the cost.  Also I wanted to buy everything on points that I had on my credit card.  ;-)

I have been successful in adding a 100-watt Renogy panel and have it on a tilt mount.  Because of difference between Zamp and Renogy, I had to include an MC4 to SAE adapter cable and a OptiMATE SAE reverse polarity cable.  I could have done a bit of rewiring of the Renogy panel, but chose not to do that in case I had to return the panel.  It is a bit more expensive this way, but not nearly as expensive as it would have been if I needed to return the panel and couldn't. 

While I know that for a lot of folks on this forum, 200 watts is still pretty puny, I've been able to fully recharge my batteries above 13V in three hours and have seen the amperage of the charge peaking at 16A.

I'm pretty pleased and suspect that my neighbors will be happier at the next RTR...

And since I paid for all of this on credit card points - the upgrade cost me nada ---- always a good thing.   ;-)

Forgive my noobness but what is this "RTR" you speak off?

As for improving your solar system that was smart. Keep in mind your batteries (assuming flooded SLA) need to reach an absorption voltage of 14.8 or so and be held there for a while to be fully charged or they will begin to sulfate and lose capacity.

RTR is the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. It is a group meeting that Bob Wells hosts each January in Quartzsite, AZ

Thank you. I'm not far from the Q as I type this. Been here since Nov. Maybe next year.

I am really glad that my talks help people because as I seem to remember I was about to pass out right before the solar talk. Man that was a lot of people. lol Getting the ability to not need the generator on a daily basis for free is huge. That said you need to be getting those batteries up into the 14's and holding for a time everyday to really be getting them fully charged.

I was at 14.5 from 11:00 until 2:00.  ;-)

I'm a part-timer and this is in a class-B so generally I'm actually driving the rig for 4-5 hours in the first half of the day, and the batteries are charged via the alternator as well.   My normal habit is to have a driving day followed by a tourist day, and even on the tourist days, I use my rig to tour around town, etc. So I suspect that on most days I'll be in the 14+ range for several hours prior to stopping for the night.   It's only when I go to places like RTR that I'm off-grid and stationary for any length of time. So I think I'll be ok

mpruet said:
My RV has a Zamp system installed, but I didn't want to purchase an additional Zamp panel due to the cost.  Also I wanted to buy everything on points that I had on my credit card.  ;-)

I have been successful in adding a 100-watt Renogy panel and have it on a tilt mount.  Because of difference between Zamp and Renogy, I had to include an MC4 to SAE adapter cable and a OptiMATE SAE reverse polarity cable.  I could have done a bit of rewiring of the Renogy panel, but chose not to do that in case I had to return the panel.  It is a bit more expensive this way, but not nearly as expensive as it would have been if I needed to return the panel and couldn't. 

Thanks for posting.  My trailer is prewired with Zamp outlets, too.  A 3 port on the roof and one on the side for a portable unit.  It is a pain in the butt they reverse the polarity on these connections.  For my side plug, I cut off one end of a 10 gauge (dual) SAE cable and use it as a pig tail adapter to the charge controller of my portable solar panel.  I've been contemplating what to do for the roof so I don't need to buy the expensive Zamp solar panels...  I'll probably get the same cable I used before and cut off one end and put on MC4 connections.  The panel I want to mount on the roof is 160 watts.

Travelmonkey said:
Thanks for posting.  My trailer is prewired with Zamp outlets, too.  A 3 port on the roof and one on the side for a portable unit.  It is a pain in the butt they reverse the polarity on these connections.  For my side plug, I cut off one end of a 10 gauge (dual) SAE cable and use it as a pig tail adapter to the charge controller of my portable solar panel.  I've been contemplating what to do for the roof so I don't need to buy the expensive Zamp solar panels...  I'll probably get the same cable I used before and cut off one end and put on MC4 connections.  The panel I want to mount on the roof is 160 watts.

Here's what I did.  I didn't want to have to cut the Renogy cable in case I needed to return the panel.  The Renogy MC4 to SAE adapter connects to the MC4 device.  The OptMATE SAE reverse polarity connects to the prior adapter and then connects into the Zamp port.  This way I was able to reverse the polarity of the Renogy panel's output and use an SAE port without having to cut any wires.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z6CW7O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1TALFY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHCWGOO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1