Ideas for outfitting my CLAM screen room

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks vanfan. Screens block 50% to 80% of ventilation. No idea how much in a screen room, but it is a lot. No bugs, though! Yay:)

I want one for cooking in and to relax (or sleep) in at night without bugs biting me.

Might have to learn how to reinforce it (like in Maki's post).

Is the Clam screen room still recommended as the sturdiest? Are there others now just as well made in same price range (or less)?
Alas, the desert sun absolutely kills the roof on these things. The fabric is NOT UV-resistant - at all. Next one I get - if I get one - I will either make or have made a rain fly of something that is UV-resistant. I've talked to several folks about treating it with the spray, and the consensus seems to be that the spray may prolong the life of the roof, but it just doesn't work over the long run.

I do not really know if there is a big difference in quality between brands. They all quote to have pretty much the same weight of polyester fabric. They all use fiberglass poles.

I have seen a couple of brands who do not claim to have a waterproof roof material. So if buying pay attention to make sure it mentions the water resistance of the roof.

Some of the brands do not offer the wind/rain side panels. Those are certainly nice to have for blocking out sun also for creating some privacy as well as hiding what you might want to leave inside of one.

I have seen one of the larger Clams having a rain fly that covers the roof. I have never seen that on any other brand and only for one particular model of Clam.

If you a small 4 sided shelter and wanted some fabrics from which to sew a rain fly, UV protection cover for the roof I have one idea for a material source you can get large enough panels out of it. There are replacement tops sold for those 10’ x 10’ metal framed popup canopies. A bit of cutting to size and sewing seams along with some seam sealer and you could create your own rainfly. After big windstorms at La Posa South there are often destroyed metal framed canopies by the trash. Maybe a free cover to modify could be obtained as salvage.

Last edited:
Just checked my cart at Amazon and realized it is not the Clam in it. It is a Gazelle. I'll try to compare the same size screen rooms and panels tomorrow.

Anyone been using a Gazelle screen room?

Just checked my cart at Amazon and realized it is not the Clam in it. It is a Gazelle. I'll try to compare the same size screen rooms and panels tomorrow.

Anyone been using a Gazelle screen room?
Does Gazelle have the flaps at the top that cover the walls? It helps with rain runoff. (At one time, these were only on the brown Clams.)

If you a small 4 sided shelter and wanted some fabrics from which to sew a rain fly, UV protection cover for the roof I have one idea for a material source you can get large enough panels out of it. There are replacement tops sold for those 10’ x 10’ metal framed popup canopies...
I just tried to repair one of these that had seen one summer season. The cover featured UV protection, but the fabric deteriorated nonetheless.

I just tried to repair one of these that had seen one summer season. The cover featured UV protection, but the fabric deteriorated nonetheless.
All too often only part of something that is UV stabilized is UV resistant, meaning only one side, or the fabric is UV stable but not the thread/seams...

Does Gazelle have the flaps at the top that cover the walls? It helps with rain runoff. (At one time, these were only on the brown Clams.)
The larger Clams that have more than 4 sides all have flaps at the top of the walls. Most of the 4 sided Clams do not. But the 4 sided clam with a beige roof and brown fabric does have flaps at the top edge.

The older 5 sided Gazell screen rooms did not have flaps at the tops to cover the upper edge of the side panels. But just now I looked at a 5 sided one that had upper flaps that is posted in the official Gazelle Amazon store. That version that includes wind panels in the sale. But I have no sure way of knowing if all 5 sided Gazelles now have upper edge flaps.

The main thing when shopping for these screen rooms is to look very carefully at all the views of photos checking carefully to see if they have upper flaps. If you are not sure ask that question before you make a purchase. Do not just rely on word of mouth because things can change from one week to the next.

I'm bummed that I missed this thread when it was new. The pictures are broken. Looks like there can be some fun ideas for one of these.

MASTERCANOPY 12x12 Portable Screen House Room Pop up Gazebo Outdoor Camping Tent with Carry Bag (12x12,Camouflage)

I had this one and it served me well. It was a bit cheaper a couple years ago. But I’d buy it again anytime!
I guess it won’t load the pic…
It’s a master canopy brand…

MASTERCANOPY 12x12 Portable Screen House Room Pop up Gazebo Outdoor Camping Tent with Carry Bag (12x12,Camouflage)

I had this one and it served me well. It was a bit cheaper a couple years ago. But I’d buy it again anytime!
Thanks, I have been considering buying that brand.

That looks perfectly fine. But it is $100 more than the Gazelle. Clam is more, too.

But I watched a video of someone caught in a storm in a Gazelle tent and it was impressive. There were several inches of water around the tent... up the sides of it. Nothing inside.

Anyway, I'm always trying to find a compromise product between quality and price. Sometimes I fail... like with my power station (maybe). I haven't tried it out yet, and if I knew more about electricity and math I could figure it out. Hoping I did ok.

This is what I have in my cart:

https://a.co/d/dfZW7Qr
https://a.co/d/2ZSrpR0
Does it have the flaps you are referring to?
It look like it does have those flaps at the top. If it did not you would see several black segments of Velcro along that fabric strip at the top edge.

My Gazelle tent was as strong as the Clams. according to some Clam owners they thought it was better made than their clam. But eventually it got damaged by direct hits from Three different dust devils. I ended up needing to rebuild the hold down grommets at the lower corners because they ripped out when wind tried to suck up the tent up into that ground tornado. But I was able to buy webbing and get a bent leather sewing needle in Quartzsite to reinforce it. I also added webbing at the upper corners so I could add tie down lines from those upper corners as well. Plus I had to add some webbing loops on the edges of the wind panels to keep them in place as the wind overcame the ability for the Velcro strips to keep the wind panels in place.

No matter which brand you get a dust devil and very strong wind gust will play havoc with any of that style of popup screen shelters. As over time, meaning within two years in constant use, so will the UV damage from the sun.

If I decide to invest in a new one I will reinforce it before I put it into use and also make a rain fly for it. Then hopefully I will get better longevity from it for full time use.

Last edited:
NctryBen my Christmas ship, ie a generous gift card to Amazon came in this morning. So I ordered the 4 sided camo screen tent as it had a $30 off coupon on that color.

I will still need to order some side panels. Then make a rain fly to fit it. No hurry on the rain fly but at least I can fabricate one using either Camila's sewing machine or borrow the use of a sewing machine at the RTR or VanAid.

I already have webbing on hand in my sewing kit to reinforce the bottom corners where the tie down grommets are stitched in. Plus the heavy duty leather sewing needle I need to use to get through those tough fabrics.

Last edited:
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of this $170 type of [Clam] shelter. It has the side panels AND an Awning attached! I imagine that the material may be flimsy due to the price; but that's ok because this will be part of my SUV-Rving setup and it it compact when folded. If necessary I'll reinforce any weaknesses I discover.
I took the time to review the fabric that Hike Crew uses for their popup screen rooms it is 210 polyester Oxford weave. That is the same thread count, material and weave type as used by Clam and by Gazelle. So no need to worry that the fabric is not as strong as those other brands because at the fabric specifications are equal.

210 is the thread count. Polyester is the type of material. Oxford is the version of the weave pattern they set up on the looms. Polyester is the best material for the purpose as it has UV resistance. Nylon and cotton are not UV resistant and develop “sun rot” more quickly. UV resistant does not mean it won’t get damaged, it just means it does so a bit slower than materials without UV resistance. So do add extra UV protection to the roof with 303 marine fabric guard at least every 6 months. That will help with the longevity of the roof for preventing UV damage as well as keeping it waterproof. You apply it on the outside surface. Follow the directions.

Last edited: