Ideas for outfitting my CLAM screen room

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya think so? But wait, there's more! That long cord draped along the wall and over the table us a 20 ft USB extension cord. I can charge all of my devices without carrying them into the Scamp. Also, on that little ladder is a speakers thing. Inside of it is my old and still working first gen ipod touch. It still works, and still has some of my favorite music on it.

I am one happy camper :D

Oh! That picnic table is big enough to seat 10 comfortably, with a chair at each end. I may host a dinner party before I leave here LOL

Ravella, you make me want to get one of those and decorate it and I'm not a fulltimer by any stretch of the imagination. Lol

Beautiful job!

Thanks, WS : D

Cammalu, it is 90sometging sq ft. I posted the exact number earlier in this thread. It's big! I mean, it feels big! LOL

Ravella and X said:
Thanks, WS : D

Cammalu, it is 90sometging sq ft. I posted the exact number earlier in this thread. It's big! I mean, it feels big! LOL

Yup, yours is big. I have the 5-panel, and no way could I seat 10 people in mine. Most folks have the 4-panel, but the 4-panel won't accommodate both a table and my zero-gravity recliner.

I'm glad my girls got me the ginormous one. That same rug I was working on at my camp's stand-up table at La Posa last winter is finally almost done. I'm really grateful to be able to lay it out flat on the picnic table to work on it, and extra thrilled to be able to leave it that way when I'm done for the day.

Jacque, did you acheive pockets for your CLAM?? Pics?

Cammalu said:
I have some photos Ravella asked me to post. She has her Clam all fancy smancy glampy now:

9b0ace528fc60c105946285fd212ba4b.jpg

8ca45c7f147dbf5b33d1645aa34cc265.jpg

bbd42d488c0f15888c26d2a85680f9ce.jpg

e8443ac870e03e0bc6c6f7f84f8bae2a.jpg
Very nice.

Yes… good idea putting fairy lights in the hanging fruit basket !!!  :heart:

That's a really nice table.......We were at the same campground and I told Paulette I could load that picnic table into the van in pieces ! NOT !

It's basically 5 big pieces....Tabletop and bench tops made of framed expanded metal and two end support pieces.....all vinyl coated and bolted together

I see....it was a campground table....yeah that makes sense now...haha....

Tina did you find any plants from that book? (Sent a book on edible desert plants). We are going hunting in Q this winter and find interesting plants.

That clam looks a lot bigger than my setup. Is it? Can I get a couple of the big tables in there for sewing?

Gypsy, mine is 6 panel like that one you linked, but it doesn't have roll-up wind panels -- mine just hook and Velcro on. Mine also doesn't have a floor. (The pics show an RV mat I layed down for a floor.) I can't check the dimensions because I'm not at camp when I internet.

That picnic table is a camp thing-- I'm hosting in a campground that has fire rings, picnic tables, vault toilets, the biggest warm spring pool I've ever seen, and a warm spring shower house.
When I get to Quartzsite, Cammalu and I have plans to hit the Yuma thrift stores. I hope to find a super cheap-just right table for the LTVA season, then re-donate it when I go. At which time I may and may not shop for my own carry along table.

Doug, mine isn't the nice kind-- mine is the oldest brokenest plastic or resinish kind. A nice piece of fabric on top does wonders!

Cammalu, it is not quite as big as your outdoor sewing room was last year. Mostly because it is round instead of rectangular. But yes, it is big enough to be your sewing room with tables.

The plants book is awesome, and there are plants in it that are on the refuge. But... On refuges, anything the literature doesn't say you CAN do, you cannot do. Foraging is out. :/

Rav, I had a roll up table once. It worked ok and it was a big space saver. If you do an Amazon search on roll up camp table some will come up. Aluminum so light weight.

That looks really comfortable and homey. I've been working on a van build that I plan to live in full time summers and after I complete my current teaching job spring of 2023. I'm an artist, paint in oils mostly, but also like to make sculptural objects. Trying to envision doing work in the van and seeing this, I'm thinking a clam structure might be a good addition as a room to work in if I need to spread out a bit.

Just want to put out a quick 'thank you' for this topic. I had been considering a screen shelter of some sort but couldn't quite pull the trigger on one for fear of buying a piece of junk. Based on this conversation, I went ahead and bought a Clam, which I had never heard of ( or at least noticed) before.

I went with the 6' x 6' model just to use as a kitchen space. It's proven to be just the right shelter for my needs. A little shade from the sun, protection from the rain, keeps the flies away. The wind panels make cooking possible when it's blowing a gale out here. In the few days I've had it, it's shrugged off some pretty strong winds and gusts.

When I bought mine, the grey version was the cheapest option but they didn't have grey panels available, so I simply got the green ones and they work fine, look fine. The grey has the rain guard flaps along the roof line. I like the two-tone effect of grey and green, too.

Anyway, thanks for bringing this bit o' gear to my attention. I'm a happier nomad now.

Is the Clam screen room still recommended as the sturdiest? Are there others now just as well made in same price range (or less)?
I've only used mine a few times (mainly to screen the view a bit between sites). My understanding is that UV damage can be a problem. When testing it at home, I found it got pretty hot inside. I made a cover for the roof from mylar blankets (on hand to make solar cookers), pieced together with aluminum tape and fitted with grommets. It helped a lot, but was kind of noisy in the breeze.

The small (Traveler) CLAM is all that would fit in our van, and is as much as I care to carry (about 35 lbs.) It does seem quite sturdy.