Ideas for outfitting my CLAM screen room

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will usually save you from ripping out the grommet or loop and yes give it some more wind resistance, plus you can drive the stakes without being so close to the tent with the hammer drill should something go amiss. There are several good reasons to tear up a cheap ball bungie as opposed to your several hundred dollar screen room!

Well, since we have strayed off-topic this far, I will ask this-- Jacque, I assume you use the outside guy-line to stake, and not the inside grommets? The instructions say grommets unless windy, OR guy-lines if windy. (I believe I recall that Maki's structure is not a CLAM, so I'm not going to compare Gala with Red Delicious.)

On thinking about why not use both, it occurs to me that the reason CLAM structures hold up in wind is because they're designed to partially collapse when confronted by strong winds, rather than break or tear. They're designed to be willows, not Oaks. If staked with both the inside and outside methods, there can be no collapse, and the poles and fabric have to deal with the full force of the wind.

Maki, I have been full-timing for a handful of years and am quite aware of the perils and pitfalls of too much stuff/too much weight. We all make our own choices of how to balance our needs/wants/space/weight/budget/time/energy. My choices will not be choices you'd make -- but I'll be fine, and happy, too!

abnorm said:
^ ..................and bungees are too "soft" for the Sunshade........they need to be pulled tight
sorry I didn't make myself clear, I do pull them tight but they are made  so the inside material breaks a little at a time, still holding but self destructing hopefully before the Sunshade does. Once you get caught in the wind you don't really care whether the lines are tight, you just hope you can get it down before it is destroyed. If you don't believe me look in a dumpster after a micro burst, that is how I get my shade structures! Lol!!!

^The Sunshade I use is a Coolaroo

It stays UP in any wind............

(Sorry Tina..............derailed again)

No worries, Doug.

BTW, I admire your super shade awning you made. I always mean to ask you -- does it make your van rock like you are sailing troubled seas?

Ravella and X said:
Well, since we have strayed off-topic this far, I will ask this-- Jacque, I assume you use the outside guy-line to stake, and not the inside grommets? The instructions say grommets unless windy, OR guy-lines if windy. (I believe I recall that Maki's structure is not a CLAM, so I'm not going to compare Gala with Red Delicious.)

On thinking about why not use both, it occurs to me that the reason CLAM structures hold up in wind is because they're designed to partially collapse when confronted by strong winds, rather than break or tear. They're designed to be willows, not Oaks. If staked with both the inside and outside methods, there can be no collapse, and the poles and fabric have to deal with the full force of the wind.

Yup. I just assume it's gonna be windy in the desert! Also, I always use the wind panels.

Ravella, you have never seen my version of the screen room but I assure you it is a copy cat clone. I most certainly know what you have and have had hands on experience with Clams, not just from looking at reviews or watching videos. I have real life, experience with both the Clam products and Gazelle. You are just guessing or assuming about things and possible differences, I am not doing that.

Last month I was camped with 4 other women. One had owned her Clam for 2 years, it had lots of damage happen to it. Two other women were unboxing thier brand new Clams. I taught all of them, the new owners and the old easy ways to set them up and stake them out securely. I showed the owner of the damaged Clam how to repair it as well as make it stronger than new.

Maybe a fan. It can get hot inside a Clam in the summer.

One other thing to be aware of is the top piece sometimes collapses in strong winds. If it is raining. then it fills up with water and could collapse the entire tent.

I asked Clam about it and here is their response:

As for the roof hub collapsing this can happen but is rare when the shelter is deployed correctly. The 2 most common reasons the roof collapses are due to the shelter being staked out in a manner that is more than the shelters original footprint. This takes tension away from the roof and can cause unexpected roof collapse. Additionally when tethering the shelter the tether ropes should always be tied to the eyebolts in the center of the hub. From this point you want to put the stake about 1' just outside of the ground skirt to hold the shelter down. Many choose to put the stake out aways from the skirt creating an angle and when tightened it actually pulls the shelter wider than its intended and takes tension away from the roof and actually begins the collapsing process. These are the 2 most common reasons for roof collapse.

Thanks Huck! Great info! Where's that thank you button?

Haha Doug! Id never knock on a van. But I'm not above making a bunch of noise outside one!

Froggy, black lights in the desert would have the horrible effect of ahowing me ALL of the scorpions! I really would rather stay ignorant lol

Thanks Jacque. : )

I have some photos Ravella asked me to post. She has her Clam all fancy smancy glampy now:

9b0ace528fc60c105946285fd212ba4b.jpg

8ca45c7f147dbf5b33d1645aa34cc265.jpg

bbd42d488c0f15888c26d2a85680f9ce.jpg

e8443ac870e03e0bc6c6f7f84f8bae2a.jpg

Thanks guys -- I think! I am hereby naming my CLAM Shangri-La-Di-Da

And thank you, Cammalu, for posting the pics for me. I have to drive to use the internet or phone and then I forget to do all I intend to and just end up chatting and downloading content to listen to/watch offline.

Thanks also to those who gave me suggestions. This thread was a good springboard.

The two things that make the CLAM nicest IMO are the rv mat (clean sweepable floor!) And the chandelier. It has 400 warm white LEDs and I can read anywhere in the CLAM with it on.

As a bonus for while I'm here work camping, I borrowed an old, filthy box fan and cleaned it up good as new and now I have two fans going in Shangri-La-Di-Da :D