Idea for residency for ppl on SSDI, SSI, etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget New Hampshire. Live Free or Die is their motto and they live up to it. No taxes, no seatbelts, no helmant's, basically no rules. If I could support myself through the winter I'd be there

akrvbob said:
I think people give too little priority to geography. To me the highest priority is to be close to my state of residence. That rules out Fl, TX and SD because they all mean a trip of at least a 1000 miles to get there and you have to go there at least once.

A major consideration for me is not having to Smog my vehicle. Oregon does not required a smog inspection for anywhere outside of Portland, and the tags are reasonably priced.

Does Nevada require a smog inspection?

thanks.

Wait for the disagreements;)
If your vehicle does not pass the smog test for it's year of manufacture, then it is not running efficiently. Lower gas mileage.

I love their state slogan of Live Free or Die! I had no idea they don't have taxes, seat belts, etc. But there's no way I could live in the East Coast (again). Been there, done that. Haha!

decodancer said:
Don't forget New Hampshire. Live Free or Die is their motto and they live up to it. No taxes, no seatbelts, no helmant's, basically no rules. If I could support myself through the winter I'd be there

Zil said:
If your vehicle does not pass the smog test for it's year of manufacture, then it is not running efficiently. Lower gas mileage.

....and possible early clogging of the catalytic converter.

Nevada is very much like many states, the big cities have smog inspections but none of the rest of the state. In Nevada Clark County has inspections because of Las Vegas. I believe Reno does too, but I don't know that for a fact.

I am a resident of Pahrump, NV in Nye county and there are no vehicle inspections at all, no income taxes and I have a wonderful mail forwarder who does all services for $100 a year. I've been with her for 6 years and gotten a dozen other people to use her and we are all happy.

jbmailroom.com
Bob

So, the factors are:
Mail forwarding
Residency for tax and legal purposes
vehicle registration and inspection

As travellers we needn't be concerned with specific sales taxes because we move about and really don't consume like most citizens. Fuel costs vary but the same applies, you're gonna go through so you find the lowest price and move on.

Do all states look at the 180 days in state then require residency and vehicle registration? Seems to me it would be irrelevant anyway for a traveller, 180 days is 6 months, you're not a vagabond if you stay somewhere more than 6 months (thats a joke by the way, don't anyone get offended).
I have Hawaii residency, I only pay fed taxes on my SSI and pension. My medical, which I consider very important is based in Hawaii but is Blue cross affiliated so it can be good anywhere.

I will never own a vehicle on the mainland registered in Hawaii because an annual inspection is required. Well, it could be registered when you ship it but would not be able to re registered when the year is up because you need a safety inspection. I don't intend to ship a vehicle from Hawaii to the mainland, its just to expensive. For me, Pahrump, NV looks the best for the vehicle and mail forwarding. Insurance costs are a concern, how are Nevadas insurance rates?
As I see it, there are fixed costs and there are flexible costs and they are arranged individually... And if nothing else, we are all individuals!

Talk about a thread going off track........this one left its country!!!!

The last time I checked, Hawaii was part of this country (USA).

and at what time does it have to do with inspection of your car and SSD/I.....all aboard the thread went south bound!!

Lucky mike said:
and at what time does it have to do with inspection of your car and SSD/I.....all aboard the thread went south bound!!

Because state of residency choice is a complex, personal matter. Don't like it? Don't read it.
The wealthy RVers, snowbirds for example will keep their residency in their home area no matter what, but those who read this forum generally from what I read are a frugal bunch.

thank you......like I said before , I was reading it since the beginning.....like I said the thread is deverted....but your right , this forum is misrepresented if you dont like it dont read it...that will fix it!!...you dont see it till you get here and you cant find the helpful info because it is all deverted....frugal or not, should cut right down on the usefulness of the forum and cut down on membership .....guess Bob prefers a club house

well it is RV living. Where you decide to make your address has a lot to do with your vehicle and the licensing and inspection required in your chosen state. That information could be the deciding factor. If you are going to stay local it may not matter. But if you travel, you will be wondering how often you have to return to home base.

Received an email from SS about my question on RV living and using a p.o box, mail forwarding etc...... This was their response... SMH!! Anyway... :p

"Thank you for contacting the Social Security Administration.

We apologize for the delay in answering your inquiry. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

The Social Security Administration has implemented prompts to the existing National 800 number, 1-800-772-1213, that will route callers with MySocialSecurity (MySSA) related questions to a dedicated MySSA Help Desk for resolution. You have the option to speak with a representative or request and receive call-backs from the Help Desk, via a MySSA Contact Us page.

Callers will hear the prompt, “Briefly, tell me why you are calling.” MySSA users should respond with the keyword from the MySSA Contact Us page. They will be directed to the MySSA Help Desk Line.

If a call back is requested, the Help Desk agent will call users back within approximately 15 minutes.

The Help Desk is available between 7:00 a.m. and 12:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time."

if it will help you.......I told them I was homeless and lived in an RV....(I did not tell them I leave the state)...they accepted my P.O for mailing...my Cell for contact....and other than the long wait and all the bull that goes with it , I got my disability ...my check was mailed to my PO.....my monthly's are put on my card no problem........keep in mind I normally spend the good weather up around here...and go to fla for 4 months in the winter.

How do you keep a PO Box without a permanent address. The postmaster requires me to present proof of residence as well as id to renew my box each year.

I have no problems......I just walk up to the counter and pay it every year.

I did have another post office that was a pain right after 9/11 , the postmaster there had a power problem and needed your life history ....you name it so I just went to the next town.

Keep in mind , I stay at the same campground every year up there and the electric bill is from the local utility company.....I stay a month or 2 and use it for my proof of residency adress.....the campground has others that live there year round in park models so the town accepts it.

I think the rules say you must provide proof of residency and many P.O.s do require it, but some don't. The smaller the town the less likely I think.

The UPS Stores do NOT require any proof of residency, but you do have to have 2 forms of ID. Most mom-n-pop postal places don't require anything and are cheaper.
Bob

That campground trick is worth looking into. Thanks for the tip.

I have done it for years Zil , I guess it just depends on the region of the country your in....I chose NH because of its no tax and it has a low transient population except for tourists....I have been in a camper / Van or RV for over 20 yrs and even switched my address from one rv park to another without question all they ever asked for was a utility bill . and When I stay for the summer up there its easy to get one with a monthly rental from the utility company