Ida job oppourtunities

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsfish

Reaction score
There will be many opportunities for employment and volunteering in the aftermath of Hurricane Ida.

I volunteered with two groups in Panama City Florida after Hurricane Michael.

If you are living in your vehicle you are at an advantage because rooms will be few and far between.

There will be a need for any with construction craft experience. That goes double for roofers. Bring your chainsaw. Equipment operators, labor...

There was a post a few weeks ago for a company seeking employees for food preparation in this situation.
https://vanlivingforum.com/index.php

Craig's List will be listing jobs. Keep checking while you still have internet. WHen you see people working just ask if they are hiring or know of someone that is.

It should go without saying but be sure to have as full a gas tank as possible, gas and oil for saw and generator, water, food, beverage of choice... before you get there. Oh yes and CASH since there is a high probability of no electronic banking. Lots of people will be needing to get their phones charged or to make a call so help if you can.

Guy

Great idea! And even non skilled cleanup labor will be needed. Could be hot steamy work so bring your self cooling setup also.
-crofter

In my teenage years my mates and I would take a pick-up loaded with a contractors gasoline powered pump and head to Atlantic City following a storm. We made bucks pumping basements.

A lot of locals will have lost their jobs. Hopefully they will get picked first for the recovery cleanup work.

You would want to check out any company that's doing the hiring. A large natural disaster could draw fly-by-night companies that aren't properly insured or have the right (safe) equipment or disappear when it's time to get paid.