I want to make sure I have this correct.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Markw said:
but do you know of a 12v adapter I can use for my laptop?  Sincerely asking here because the more I can use 12v the less inverter I need which will save me some money.

Currently, the only thing I can think of that I would need 120 for is my laptop.  Lights, cell phone and fridge can all obviously be run on a 12v system.  If I can get a 12v adapter for my laptop I may not even need an inverter.
I don't know what your laptop is so, no, I don't know if there is one. They do exist though. There are direct DC charging cables for some laptops commercially available.  Like phone charging cords they are brand and model specific.  Journalists, particularly war correspondents can't count on reliable AC power, so if they have a choice DC is what they will use.  Find out exactly what your laptop make and model number is and do a web search for a DC charging cable for that make and model, you might get lucky and have a plug and play option ready to buy.  Make sure that the connector plug is a 12V DC cigarette lighter plug. If no cable is available that doesn't mean it can't be done.  At that point you will definitely need know the charging specs. they should be listed on the transformer block built into your charging cable.  You can have a DC charging adapter custom made from a spare charging cable.  You would have to have competent electronics tech make it for you, but it isn't that complicated a item.  It could be as simple as two plugs and a fuse or there might be a voltage regulator and or transformer involved, but still relatively basic.

Amazon and eBay will have DC charging cords for about any laptop made.

When I was at the beginning of understanding/building our system I watched almost every Will Prowse video on YouTube; he does a great job educating and rating systems and I would highly suggest deep diving his channel to better understand.
YouTube university is really the cheapest option -just cost the time to find the right channels :)

""YouTube university is really the cheapest option -just cost the time to find the right channels"" And the luck to know the right answer as opposed to; "i did it this way and it hasn't killed me after two months. It must be right."

Weight -  Youtube is a free resource.  I disagree it's not luck knowing the right answer that's needed.  With strong critical thinking skills you can learn a lot.  Recognizing videos that are solid and the ones that got made because someone had a camera is key.  That's not flipping a coin, that's using your brain.  It's the price you pay for free content.  Youtube is just one of many resources.   Skillshare is one, you just have to pay, the upside is they have quality control and aren't focused on selling advertising.  If you value your time it might be a bargain.  If you still want free go to the public library.

ForestRoadSurfers said:
When I was at the beginning of understanding/building our system I watched almost every Will Prowse video on YouTube; he does a great job educating and rating systems and I would highly suggest deep diving his channel to better understand.
YouTube university is really the cheapest option -just cost the time to find the right channels :)

Thanks for suggesting Will's videos! Learning tons!

I am putting together lists on Amazon of things I need/want.  Below is a link to my list for the power system.  I also have a list for build items, one for cooking items etc.

The list doesn't contain specific brands, sizes or items I might end up buying. Think of the items listed as 'place holders'.  For instance, the 200 watt panel may end up being a 200 watt panel, two 100 watt panels...maybe even a 400 watt panel...but I added a panel to remind myself 'you will need these'.

Please let me know if I have any pieces missing.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/TGJ6DMH1MFNI?ref_=wl_share

I should probably have worded #4 better.

Was looking for things like:

If I use 24 volt solar panels, do I have to use 24 volt batteries?

Should I add fuses to the wires from the solar panels?

When adding 110 sockets, should I use the ones with the breakers in them?

Kind of little gotchas that people may not think about.
Watch Will Prowse videos and pick something. But solar is asource that needs a disconnect plug at each panel. Then fuses at the batteries and everywhere the MPPT charger instructions say to. Do not risk heat fires from bad or loose connections. You are going to shake it all the time you move.

I am putting together lists on Amazon of things I need/want. Below is a link to my list for the power system. I also have a list for build items, one for cooking items etc.

The list doesn't contain specific brands, sizes or items I might end up buying. Think of the items listed as 'place holders'. For instance, the 200 watt panel may end up being a 200 watt panel, two 100 watt panels...maybe even a 400 watt panel...but I added a panel to remind myself 'you will need these'.

Please let me know if I have any pieces missing.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/TGJ6DMH1MFNI?ref_=wl_share
Don't stock up in advance. Save your money and keep working on your changing plans. You will likely find an easy way to protect each panel. Perhaps one circuit of each panel can serve as it's main fuse instead of an external fused switch. They are rarely rated for disconnecting under load anyway.

So I have done a rough sketchup of the mounting box for the batteries, inverter, controller etc that will be installed where the passenger seat used to be. The inverter isn't the right one because that is basically the only semi-similar inverter they had in sketchup. I am debating whether to put sides on it or not (I probably will if for no other reason than the components not being on display). The holes in the middle panel are for wires to pass through. On the right they will go from the controller to the batteries, on the left from the batteries to the outlet components. Still working out how to do wires in sketchup. The bottom of the box will be secured to the van using the bolts that used to hold the seat in. The rest of the box will be glue and screw.

Power Box.jpg

Latest posts