I thought we already had the constitution?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the same way mockturtle. Partly because I never want to do housework or yard work again, on a regular basis. And I like that wherever I go, all my stuff is with me. Just the view is different.

mockturtle said:
'Giving homes to the homeless' isn't always the solution.  In a Seattle survey when I lived there, nearly half of the homeless interviewed stated they do not want a house or even an apartment.  Some who were given apartments left them and went back to the street.  If someone offered me a house right now, I wouldn't take it.  I have my home on wheels.  A lot of people are homeless by choice.  This does not include the mentally ill!

Exactly my point.  Many folks just like the 'mobile life'.  I had a shipmate in the Navy, who actually lived aboard a sailboat.  Not a big one either, under thirty feet as I recall.  He'd sail it from one homeport to another.  He'd store it at the marina when deployed.  Much like a van dweller.  If some trouble comes up, like a hurricane, just motor off to safer areas.  Some of the guys onboard thought he was weird, I kind of envied him.

LeeRevell said:
Exactly my point.  Many folks just like the 'mobile life'.  I had a shipmate in the Navy, who actually lived aboard a sailboat.  Not a big one either, under thirty feet as I recall.  He'd sail it from one homeport to another.  He'd store it at the marina when deployed.  Much like a van dweller.  If some trouble comes up, like a hurricane, just motor off to safer areas.  Some of the guys onboard thought he was weird, I kind of envied him.

But that situation is only 'homeless' in the eyes of those that demand that we have a S&B living situation. I don't consider that person to be any more homeless than I will be come fall. He did it in full knowledge and with full mental facilities.

The homeless that need the help are the ones sleeping on the streets and taking cover in shelters, eating at soup kitchens and not having a roof over their heads. There are also those homeless who are living out of broken down vehicles not by choice.

While there are some 'homeless' who are in need of help that prefer not having a home, their standard of living is dramatically well below the most lowest of the poverty level.

While no one should be forced into a S&B living situation against their will, there are many that due to circumstances beyond their control that should be offered housing and whatever help may be necessary to help them live a dignified, safe and healthy life.

You're comparing apples and oranges, all these articles and the Utah program are about the "street people" who live on the street, are arrested for various "crimes" and take advantage of shelters and emergency services. Because none of that applies to you and I, we will never be offered a home. We wouldn't qualify for the program. Here is what you have to do to become a part of the Utah program which is being held as a model for the rest of the country:

"First the state identified the homeless that experts would consider chronically homeless. That designation means they have a disabling condition and have been homeless for longer than a year, or four different times in the last three years. Among the many subgroups of the homeless community — such as homeless families or homeless children — the chronically homeless are both the most difficult to reabsorb into society and use the most public resources. They wind up in jail more often. They’re hospitalized more often. And they frequent shelters the most. In all, before instituting Housing First, Utah was spending on average $20,000 on each chronically homeless person." 

"And now, the chronic homeless are no longer tallied in numbers. They’re tallied by name. The last few are awaiting their houses.  “One woman had been on the street for a long time, until we finally convinced her to come into our housing,” Walker said. “She didn’t trust it, and she put her collection of stuff on the bed. Then for the next two weeks, she slept on the floor. … But once she realized that we weren’t going to take this from her, that she had a lock, she had a mailbox, she started to reacclimate.”

It seems like treating people with dignity and concern is a pretty good plan, and is saving Utah money. They estimate they save $8000 a year on each chronically homeless person by treating them like a human being.
Bob

"It seems like treating people with dignity and concern is a pretty good plan, and is saving Utah money. They estimate they save $8000 a year on each chronically homeless person by treating them like a human being.
Bob"

How long did it take government and society in general to find out this simple truth?

Will it become viral?

LeeRevell said:
If you buck the norm, norm bucks back.  Basically the PTB see van dwellers as trying to get out from under their thumb.  Those who crave power hate that......   nuff said.

/\ THIS /\ I couldnt have said it better myself.

According to my mother, one of my great uncles used to ride the rails and he loved the life.  Apparently, numerous family members tried to get him to stay with them but after a few days or a week he was off again.  He also seemed to enjoy the cat-and-mouse aspect of the adventure.

There's no ultimate solution. With compassion and following "Christian" principles, ( I don't know, maybe Muslims have some guidance for the poor too), we can help some percentage of those who are on the streets. You'll never eliminate it, due to many of the comments listed before this post, yet we would decrease the visible numbers for an arguably lesser cost in policing, ambulance taxi rides, hospital ER admissions and thefts.

Even at my income level I will give food to the guy on the corner. Not cash as it may go to drugs or drink, but an occasional $1.49 McDs hamburger, yes.

Sure there are scammers, I regularly see one individual who bikes to his corner, stays there about 4-6 hours, standing all the time (he seems reasonably fit and capable to work), then bikes off to wherever after his daily income quota has been received. Or maybe to corner #2... It's his job... Giving him an apartment probably wouldn't change his ways. But the family in the car, yes it would. The one lady I haven't seen in a while was elderly and standing near a Safeway with a cardboard sign that said "need help with medical bills"... I've never seen that before. After about a month I never saw her again. Who knows?

I have no answer to the Bay Area or NYC homeless shelter problems however that doesn't mean we don't try wherever we can. Good for Utah.

Giving some of the "homeless" an apartment would be just enabling their lifestyle of ~~~ Whatever. Others it would make the difference between becoming a problem for society and becoming an asset. Still others just need a safe place to finish out their life in relative safety and comfort.

Not everyone welcomes an offer to help. Not all offers are for the "right" reasons.

Looking at things through a purely economic viewpoint it makes sense to offer a clean and safe place to sleep and a way to obtain communication at a base level. If you want better, work toward it.

Why did the plot for Soylent Green just go through my head?

You'll never eliminate it, due to many of the comments listed before this post, yet we would decrease the visible numbers for an arguably lesser cost in policing, ambulance taxi rides, hospital ER admissions and thefts.

Dusty, you are spot-on about the ER admissions.  When I worked in a large trauma center in Seattle we had so many homeless people come to the ER for 'routine' medical care that cost the taxpayers dearly.  Well-placed walk-in clinics [like the one in which I later volunteered] would help to alleviate the problem.