I think I heading in the right direction.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas has a quite a few small towns north and west that have free full hookup campgrounds for a couple of days. Some do ask for donations. If you are looking for a specific area, I might be able to help. I have a couple of favorites that I use to get out of texas and back in when it is hot. PM if interested.

Im thinking after I take care of business here in TX I would do Big Bend, then connect with a CRVL caravan. Thats what Im thinking anyways. Heading north to higher elevation makes sense this time of year.

Sounds like a plan. You must not mind the heat too much if you plan on doing Big Bend this time of year (or not get out of the camper).

This time of year I try to get out of the heat as fast as I can. It usually means at least one night still in the state though. Glad I have an air conditioner for that. For people that don't know, it is more than 800 miles across the state in almost any direction. Most states are 200 miles or so.

Good luck in whichever direction you plan on heading.

yep when my buddy lived in Texas he used to say that no matter where you are going once you get out of Texas you are almost there. I think that's one of those Texas tall tales. highdesertranger

Not so tall. When we were going to the RTR, El Paso was about halfway. 768 miles to El Paso and another 560 to Quartzsite.

Good morning!
After exercising my rights to the 3 S's, its time for breakfast. Eggs, sausage and toast me thinks. Coffee is on and ready.
I checked my coach levels and with a camping world 40 miles ahead, i think i will stop.

OK, Camping World did not have what I needed but Hot Springs National Park does. I think ill stay for a few days. Excuse me i think its quiet, beer and 420 time in the A/C

I forgot to mention with a America the beautiful pass, its only 15 dollars to camp with water and electric. Oh my, im in heaven.
CALGON, TAKE ME AWAY!

I have successfully registered my rig as a Texan, awaiting my texas drivers license to arrive in the mail and submitted my address change to all concerned all the while staying in a developed campground with electric for the air conditioner, sewer and water. Thankfully, there are restrooms with hot showers within the park. I paid the 340.00 for 30 days of sitting still while i make this transition.
I eventually make my west.

Vonbrown said:

Wont hurt you attall

If you're planning on hitting west from Texas, you'll probably be taking IH 10. If so, I have a small spread about 30 miles south of IH 10 off 77. Your welcome to stay there for a few day and all the water you want. It's cold well water. In my area we haven't hit 100 deg. yet. LOL...……...

Very kind of you Gojo, i will keep this in mind.
There is a method to my madness, i am on a shakedown cruise. Its to make sure everything works as it should. Having access to full hookups allows me to do that.(so far so good, just minor stuff like sanitizing the fresh water tank and lines, work the a/c, toilet works properly and hot water, you know, before i get to boondocking.
Again Gojo, thank you for the offer. It might be a good place to test everything out

Congrats!

Sounds like you are in fine shape right now and that is a wonderful price per night for full hookup :)
keep on truckin'

Latest posts