Things I have learned RVing full-time.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freelander

Reaction score
I have been living my RV for about 10 months now, and here are the things I have learned.

First I have learned I dont need my Sticks and Bricks house anymore, probably the best decision I have made in a long time.

When I left Oklahoma for Quartzite in Jan, I was loaded heavy. I loaded everything I thought I would need. I have since then got rid of a lot of that.

I brought firewood with me, we used a few sticks but most of it I brought back home and gave away.
I brought several bags of charcoal, and brand new Charcoal grill, I still the grill and its still brand new, but I gave way most of the charcoal.
I brought a brand new Coleman propane lantern I never used it, I gave it away.
I brought and still have a brand new still in the box Colemen Duel-Fuel camp stove. I plan to give it away.
I brought and still have ‘camping cookware’ I don’t use it anymore. My cookware consists of 3 cast iron skillets, a 1qt and 3qt sauce pan, and two 9” round cake pans for baking in. I plan to give away the ‘camping cookware’.
I brought campfire utensils and never used them. I gave all that stuff away.
I brought a chaise longue, it took up way too much room, I gave it away.
I brought at least a 1/2 dozen 1lb propane bottles, I gave them away.
I will be giving away my My Buddy heater when I get an Olympian 6 heater.  
I brought a 12v Coleman cooler, it works ok but I really needed a freezer, I will be giving this away. 
I bought a 45qt 12v freezer, now I have more than enough room for meat and frozen veggies.

I still have some more things to get rid of.

I found that driving at 75mph I get 7.2 mpg, but driving at 65 mph I get 8.2 mpg.

I have three 7 gal water jugs I was using to refill my fresh water tank, I will probably get rid of those. They take up a lot of room to store. When I go back to Quartzite I will probably camp in the free spots more and just move around, and go to town for fresh water. I also bought a Water Filter Pitcher to clean up the water I drink.

I brought a 28 gal portable waste tank and after just a few uses one of the wheels fell off and I dumped 28 gals of poo on the road. I have replaced it with a new one, and I replaced the wheels with pneumatic wheel barrow wheels, these are MUCH better than the plastic ones it came with. I have to strapped to my ladder so it doesn’t take up any room.

Freelander said:
I brought a 28 gal portable waste tank and after just a few uses one of the wheels fell off and I dumped 28 gals of poo on the road. I have replaced it with a new one, and I replaced the wheels with pneumatic wheel barrow wheels, these are MUCH better than the plastic ones it came with. 

I would keep the new portable waste tank under 55 mph so as to not lose another one.

Freelander. Im waiting to see if the smoker has to go also [emoji15]

Freelander said:
The road at Quartzite are a bit rough.

I was just joking. I meant keep the tank below 55 MPH while towing it full of crap on your way to the dump station. I'm sure you have it empty when it's lashed to the ladder.

Freelander said:
I have been living my RV for about 10 months now, and here are the things I have learned.

I am T minus 2 weeks. I have none of what you have in my list..  (phew... errr.. ??? )  Yet I am sure I will finds things...  I have already tossed out 2/3rds of my clothing... piles of old crap dished etc.. I plan on equipping my kitchen at a Goodwill or similar...  I am goign to try and plan moves to run at 55mph or where ever it runs most efficiently given is it a very heavy brick with rounded corners... ;)

Cammalu said:
Freelander. Im waiting to see if the smoker has to go also [emoji15]
Oh No the smoker stays, the controller went out and I had to replace it. I ordered a cover for it so it can stay outside in the rain, and I have found the perfect place to store.

gizmotron said:
I was just joking. I meant keep the tank below 55 MPH while towing it full of crap on your way to the dump station. I'm sure you have it empty when it's lashed to the ladder.

I was gong slow, but with the new tires it will be a lot smoother, the tires are rated at 300 lbs a piece.

JJsimonds said:
I am T minus 2 weeks. I have none of what you have in my list..  (phew... errr.. ??? )  Yet I am sure I will finds things...  I have already tossed out 2/3rds of my clothing... piles of old crap dished etc.. I plan on equipping my kitchen at a Goodwill or similar...  I am goign to try and plan moves to run at 55mph or where ever it runs most efficiently given is it a very heavy brick with rounded corners... ;)

Most states a lower speed limit when towing, in Texas its 60, and most others its either 55 or 65. Since I tow mt car behind me, I just run 65 to be safe unless I know its lower.

Freelander said:
I was gong slow, but with the new tires it will be a lot smoother, the tires are rated at 300 lbs a piece.

It's a great idea. I know that Quartzite can be like a drag race to get in line for the dump station. Still, I love the idea of towing a blue tank full of crap down the highway at 65 MPH. It's just something nobody would ever try. I'm used to like 5 MPH. I had one of those tanks last more than 20 years. That's a lot of shit delivered.

So Freedlander you are saying you kept all that firewood you brought along hidden away while living at YARC camp...now we know for sure you belong at YARC cause that just ain't right. It would have been a lot easier to put it into the YARC campfires in the evenings than haul it all the way back home again. Best not to let Popeye hear about it or he will be plastering stinkin badges all over your RV and they are really difficult to scrape off. A lot like trying to get dried bird shit off a windshield using a worn out wiper blade.

I have learned that there is always a work around for any problem that you need to solve. Many problems do not need to be solved and will eventually dissappear on their own.
-crofter

gizmotron said:
It's a great idea. I know that Quartzite can be like a drag race to get in line for the dump station. Still, I love the idea of towing a blue tank full of crap down the highway at 65 MPH. It's just something nobody would ever try. I'm used to like 5 MPH. I had one of those tanks last more than 20 years. That's a lot of shit delivered.

Yes and the YARC camp is about 2 miles away from the dump site. So this will be a lot better.

maki2 said:
So Freedlander you are saying you kept all that firewood you brought along  hidden away while living at YARC camp...now we know for sure you belong at YARC cause that just ain't right. It would have been a lot easier to put it into the YARC campfires in the evenings  than haul it all the way back home again. Best not to let Popeye hear about it or he will be plastering stinkin badges all over your RV and they are really difficult to scrape off. A lot like trying to get dried bird shit off a windshield using a worn out wiper blade.

We did burn some of it, but we had plenty of firewood, also the wood I brought was Hickory smoking wood.

When I return to Quartzite I will probably do things different.

First I will move around more and not stay parked in the same place all the time. I sat for 2 1/2 months and really didn't do anything. I have an eBike on order and I can use it to explore the area a bit.

Don't know if I'll do the $180 thing and move from spot to spot or just do the $40 thing and use free sites.

Also I would like to visit the Grand Canyon when out that way, also Vegas, Hoover dam and many more places.

Second I will take a longer time to get there, I made it in 2 days last time and to me that just seems silly, why was I in such a hurry to get there?

Third I carry fishing gear with my but don't use it, I plan to using some of it next time.

we have rv'd for near on 30 years easily. I got my home on wheels whittled down to perfect, I got our drive routines so perfect to match how we wanna roll, I got the money issues handled but even with some bucks I am all about boondocking and overnights and free spots and more cause I find those challenges just amazing and can share that info with others, we are state parks etc vs. ever wanting the parking lot private CGs and all that.

I know me on the road. Now I want to be on the road full time, so close, OH SO darn close, kid to hit college in 1.5 yrs and it is ME GO time. I will hit that road full speed and not look back LOL

Being a minimalist type I don't require crap in the rv at all, I got the 'few items' that work best.....just purchased a Kuppert Portable washer and spinner for the rv cause I 'know I hate' laundromats and I am preparing for our time out there.

So know you, know what ya require and go for it. Ditch what doesn't work and again, don't look back :) all forward movement! Go for the gold as it suits you at all times!

When I started loading my van, I made a checklist and stick to it. I didn't pack anything I could pick up along the way. When I took my first trip, I tried to pack on enough food for the entire trip. Now I only pack 2-3 days worth of food...and shop when I need to replace things. When I was deciding what to put in the van, I wanted everything to have a dual purpose. For example, my pillows serve as pillows and cushions when I sit up. Cooking pots served as sink and a cook pot.

Things I replaced/removed.
1) Left my firewood at home.
2) Used smaller ice chest to store only 2-3 days worth of food and drinks.
3) Replaced full sized shovel with a folding shovel.
4) Left sink/bucket at home, used a cook pot instead.
5) Left TV, dvd player, and DVDs at home and use my cell phone to watch TV.
6) Left plates and glasses at home, use paper plants and plastic cups.

Replacing all of these and other things at home increased my gas mileage.

Yes maiden flights or long term and we got just what we need to make it work perfect for us, just a matter of time to figure it out on the road to suit yourself best!

Of course some emergency stuff on those lists should always be dealt with and be smart about what 'extras' for security and safety are required....other than that, all that other crap is personal use on your dime :)