I just got kicked out of my boondocking spot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is because the location is New Zealand I believe! Your YARC membership awaits!

bullfrog said:
Better get a tattoo of a descriptive picture of where you put it if your memory is as bad as mine! LOL!!!

I know what it's like to have a bad memory. When I use to drink I had a habit of stashing money away in secret hiding spots only to forget in the morning what I'd done with the money. I'd normally find the money months later while searching for something else.

I don't drink these days so I won't forget where I hid the key.

ckelly78z said:
I haven't read all of the comments on all 4 pages, but has anyone else addressed the elephant in the room. Most BLM land allows for 14 days of camping before you must move, not "3 weeks".

I'm in NZ.

Oooh, I know it's not funny, but I've had to do that. I was driving too long and holding it in (stupid, because I was on a dirt road in a rural area) so when I finally parked and jumped out to pee, the wind immediately slammed my car door shut with my engine running! You can't call AAA to help you out where I was. It was embarrassing to explain why I had plastic taped over the window.

Just saw you got the hide a key. I was going to suggest something like the Hitch Safe http://www.hitchsafe.com/ which is a combo lock safe that slides into your hitch to store keys, money, or other small items. But glad you figured out a solution!

Also, how or why did your door lock on you after you exited the van to talk to the security officer?

jimbob394 said:
Also, how or why did your door lock on you after you exited the van to talk to the security officer?

I’ve had automatic doors do that terrible “click” when I was outside the vehicle. Yes one time the dog hit the button but other times though rarely, it has magically happened. 
Maybe a garage door opener, another’s key fob at the gas station, maybe evil gods. Don’t know, don’t care the reason but always have an outside key on the vehicle.

There have to be cheaper ways than braking a window??? I always carry an extra key in my wallet - if my pants are on I am all set. More could be said but I will not go there.?

Having lived through a house fire in which I lost everything in the world including my purse (which contained my keys and medications) and glasses and one of my dogs ( I ran in three times to try and save her) I now sleep next to a huge light ( lesportsac) backpack purse with all my important things including keys. I’m sorry this happened to you it’s terrible ( ok a little funny) and no guarantee that I wouldn’t jump out without my bag but I did learn a lesson. And yeah I keep an extra key on my car. Oh and I now sleep with undergarments and clothing looking pajamas. LOL

nature lover said:
There have to be cheaper ways than braking a window???  I always carry an extra key in my wallet - if my pants are on I am all set.  More could be said but I will not go there.?
$50 in Beaver, UT for a 24 hour service call to gain access without a key.
Wait, I suppose that the OP's phone was in the van as well.

Im surprised more people dont just carry a single spare key on them all the time. I locked myself out several times in some very awkward places and situations, until it finally sunk in. I had a spare set zip tied to the frame for a while, and used them once, but I realized all the minimum wage guys at the oil change place knew they were there. I dont do it any more.

My normal first stop now after getting a new to me vehicle is to get several sets of spare keys made. Several. Keys are cheap, theres no real reason not to have spares of at least the unchipped versions. With chipped keys, you can still get a copy made without a chip that gets you in, can turn on the accessories such as run the electric windows and such, but wont start the vehicle. I ALWAYS have a spare key in my pocket, the ignition key is a single, if the vehicle gets jacked, they only get the one key. A bunch of keys hanging in the ignition can be hard on the switch also. I never leave my keys laying about like many do, not hung on a hook, on the counter, they are always on me when awake and dressed, and I keep one or more in whatever I may wear if i have to get up in the night. Its a habit thats not hard to develop, with no real down side that I can tell.

I took the remote fob off the keys, it tended to get pushed by various things in my pocket anyway. It now stays on a cord around my neck under my shirt or in a vest pocket where I can activate it easily without fishing it out. and regardless of what the disposition of any other keys, it will let me back in.

Thanks for the reminder to get a spare key before I go on my trip next week.

I recently found out they make underwear with pockets. It is sold to travelers who go to areas where pickpocket thieves hang out. Or just find a really discrete place to put a spare key under the vehicle. Some place that can't be seen or reached without a little effort.

Something to keep in mind on lockouts, most makes and dealers now can cut a key from code with the VIN number of a vehicle. its handy on lockouts with a pet or child in the vehicle and it was left running or whatever and the door locked by the pet or accidentally or whatever. Anyway, a call to the dealer with name, location, and VIN number, usually visible on the dash, they cut the key, come to the site, ID yourself as the owner, they give you the key. I saw it once at a bank, it took about 20 minutes to show up with a key. I dont know what it costs, but possibly cheaper than a window.

If you don't know how to break into your own vehicle and start it up without a key, you are unprepared.

Zork said:
If you don't know how to break into your own vehicle and start it up without a key, you are unprepared.
I guess I am going to be unprepared then because I don't want to install a transponder bypass as that decreases the security that locks out the ignition for people who don't have the right key to start it with.