I just got kicked out of my boondocking spot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PECVD2 said:
Yes those Seahorse units look amazing and buying second hand with all the accessories is the way to go.
Are you typically catching Snapper?

Yeah it cost me $1000NZD ($640USD) for the kontiki, winch, and all the accessories. In it's current state I estimate it's worth $1800NZD ($1150USD), so I got a real bargain.

I haven't used it yet because I've been that busy with the van conversion and other things that I haven't had a chance. I'm going to get onto it soon though.

Snapper will make up most of my catch which currently costs $24USD per kg in the supermarket, so as you can guess it's a prime eating fish. Gurnard will make up the other part of my catch. I also expect kahawai which I'll use for bait.

SheepDog said:
Before I got a vehicle with a key/remote combo I always kept a key hidden behind one of the screws holding my tag on! It is easy to get to year around in any weather and very secure from loss in rough terrain! It is also fairly secure from loss via criminal types if you do your part!

SD

Yeah I've got a real good hiding place. I'm actually able to hide the key inside the van behind a reflectix wall. I reach in through a hole towards the back of the van, rip away the reflectix to get to the key which is almost an arm length away from the hole. A thief won't think to look there because hiding a key inside the van defies logic.

The hole is a former campervan power hookup port hole that I converted into a ventilation hole.

I wonder how the state feels about the number of hooks as that is usually restricted in fresh water and you will be standing on their shore?

DC=daily Carry in reference to my pocket knife

Toad stabber also pocket.knife which would.make.short.work of the brittle zip.tie holding my.spare key

So.sorry for the use of slang

Nonetheless love me.some Snapper.
Do you sell your extra to.the local.market?

gsfish said:
Do you sell fish for an income? 100 hooks = lots of fish! I know people that commercial fish on a part time small scale here in NW Florida.

I wasn't aware of that type of gear, will be checking to see if it is legal in Florida. A friend of mine uses a drone to take his bait out father than he can cast but that is just one hook.

Guy

In NZ we aren't allowed to sell fish without a commercial license, but I will be catching fish to cut down on my grocery bill. Apart from vegetables, fruit and black beans, I only eat fish which makes up a big part of my grocery bill.

25 hooks is the maximum legal limit in NZ for recreational fishermen.

Yeah some guys use drones here as well but the drones are expensive and can only carry a small payload. So yeah, one or two hooks for drone fishing.

I have a standard kontiki setup. There are kontiki's available with GPS steering , remote controls, shark/snag protection, kontiki motors with more horse power, etc. But with all that comes a hefty price tag.

I'm happy with secondhand standard tiki.

These guys are based in Florida but they ship the devices from NZ: https://www.seahorsekontiki.com/

ZoNiE said:
To release a ty-wrapped key, just twist the key back and forth until the tie breaks...

True, good advice, that will be the best way.

I'd be busy smashing and cutting at it with anything on hand making a mess and probably injuring myself.

crofter said:
There's the rub. Property owners want to have a wilderness type experience on their place while controlling everyone who walks down the street, and the boondockers are just trying to survive.   -crofter

The suspected complainant lives further back from the beach about 200 metres from my (now former) camping area. My presence does not directly affect him in anyway as his house isn't near enough to the beach. Perhaps that was a small sore point for him, his house is locate far back from the beach while my "mobile house" was located right on the beach. He had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to live 200 metres from the beach, while I payed a few thousand dollars to live 10 metres from the beach.

bullfrog said:
I wonder how the state feels about the number of hooks as that is usually restricted in fresh water and you will be standing on their shore?

Every country and state will have their own hook number restrictions, but that number will vary.

kontiki fishing (which is essentially longlining/longline fishing) is done at the beach in the ocean, rather than in freshwater.

PECVD2 said:
DC=daily Carry in reference to my pocket knife

Toad stabber also pocket.knife which would.make.short.work of the brittle zip.tie holding my.spare key

So.sorry for the use of slang

Nonetheless love me.some Snapper.
Do you sell your extra to.the local.market?

Ah I see. You totally lost me with that slang despite my determination to make sense of it, not even google could offer me any help. Thanks for explaining.

Nay I won't be selling because a commercial fishing license is required in NZ to sell fish.

I started wearing a key around my neck. That has saved me so many times. I always wear a fanny pack that have my keys and items I need but there are times where that fanny pack can get set down in an emergency and the key stays around my neck all the time.

I'm an expert at breaking into every vehicle I've owned. I also know how to hot wire ford pickups for the same reason, keys always get lost.

Patriciann said:
I started wearing a key around my neck. That has saved me so many times. I always wear a fanny pack that have my keys and items I need but there are times where that fanny pack can get set down in an emergency and the key stays around my neck all the time.

I don't wish to have a key around my neck all the time, but if you don't mind doing that then admittedly it's the best way.

This is the second time in 7 months I've locked myself out. I now have a hide-a-key.

Fivealive said:
I'm an expert at breaking into every vehicle I've owned. I also know how to hot wire ford pickups for the same reason, keys always get lost.

I can also regain entry to my van with the right tool, but not with my bare hands I can't. Standing there at 10 o'clock at night with not even so much as shoes on my feet or a phone in my pocket, I had little option except to break the window.

I always leave the front passenger window down two centimetres so it was very frustrating knowing I only needed No.8 wire or something similar to pop the lock from the inside.

I always carry a small, zippered money pouch with side loops. The loops go through my belt. In the pouch I keep a spare key, a second credit card and some large bills (money.) These 3 alternatives can cover a lot of emergencies, not just a lost key.

I think this system is better than a zip tie or hide-a-key, as thieves know where all the hiding places are. And wearing a key on a string around your neck can be a bit awkward.

VanForNow said:
I think this system is better than a zip tie or hide-a-key, as thieves know where all the hiding places are.

They don't know where my hiding place is; it's not under the van or even on the outside of the van. They won't be able to see it because it's in a position that makes it impossible to see (I can't even see it), they won't be able to feel it because it has duct tape over it and just feels like part of the vehicle structure. The only way of finding it, is if someone already knows it is there, in other words; prior knowledge of the key location, and only I have that.

I think people over estimate the average thief, in reality most thieves wouldn't think to even look for a key because hiding a key away on a vehicle is a thing of the past and not many people do it anymore.

poot_traveller said:
I can also regain entry to my van with the right tool, but not with my bare hands I can't. Standing there at 10 o'clock at night with not even so much as shoes on my feet or a phone in my pocket, I had little option except to break the window. 

I always leave the front passenger window down two centimetres so it was very frustrating knowing I only needed No.8 wire or something similar to pop the lock from the inside.
next time you get a knock on the door remind yourself of this time and slow down and get your keys and you shoes, phone, etc.

I won't be making the same mistake next time. Even if I do, I now have a hid-away-key.

Better get a tattoo of a descriptive picture of where you put it if your memory is as bad as mine! LOL!!!

poot_traveller said:
So I've been boondocking in the same spot every night for the past 3 weeks right on the beach. 
I haven't read all of the comments on all 4 pages, but has anyone else addressed the elephant in the room. Most BLM land allows for 14 days of camping before you must move, not "3 weeks".