I just got kicked out of my boondocking spot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
So I've been boondocking in the same spot every night for the past 3 weeks right on the beach. About 10 a'clock last night I get the knock at the door and it's a security woman who informs me that they have received a complaint about me free camping in this spot and asks me to move along.

No penalty fine, just a friendly warning, so I go back to the van only to realize I've locked myself out of the van......F#%K!!

I have a rule; Never to set foot outside the van for any reason unless I have the keys with me so I don't lock myself out of the van.  I did remembered my rule but stupidly disregarded it and I stepped outside the van without the keys after being taken by surprise by the security women.

Long story short, I had to smash the front passenger window to regain access to the van.

I'm getting the window fixed tomorrow and I've found another more secluded spot but I'm still butt hurt about getting booted from my spot and having to fork out money for a new window:(

Thank you for reading my rant.

I have a hide-a-key stuck to the frame of my van. I've had to access it a handful of times.

Wear a spare key like it was a dog tag. Yes, even at night in bed since you might have to go outside if you wake up at night. It will let you self rescue when needed. You can stitch a little leather or cloth pouch for it if the metal on your skin bugs you.

Been there done that thus I have a spare zip tied to the frame. It is in such a place that I would probably break in again in lieu of fishing that spare out...hahaha

Glad you were not ticketed and just kindly asked to move on.

MrNoodly said:
I have a hide-a-key stuck to the frame of my van. I've had to access it a handful of times.

Yep, that's the idea I was toying with even before I locked myself out. I decided against the idea because I didn't want to make it easy on vehicle thieves who are aware of this practice of vehicle owners storing hideaway keys on the vehicle somewhere. But I admit I didn't evaluate this option carefully enough and I now realize that the chances of thieves looking for hideaway keys is unlikely, and if I hide the keys good enough, the chances of them finding the keys are even less likely.

maki2 said:
Wear a spare key like it was a dog tag. Yes, even at night in bed since you might have to go outside if you wake up at night. It will let you self rescue when needed. You can stitch a little leather or cloth pouch for it if the metal on your skin bugs you.

The keys hang up in front of the door, I can't exit the door without the keys hitting me in the face. I purposely hang the keys in that manner so I don't forget to take the keys with me. This system only failed because I disregarded my own rule of taking the keys with me when I stepped out side the van.

The cloth pouch is a good idea but I can see myself taking the key pouch off for whatever reason and that will be the exact time when I accidentally knock the van lock into lock position......while I'm outside the van with the key pouch inside.

PECVD2 said:
Been there done that thus I have a spare zip tied to the frame. It is in such a place that I would probably break in again in lieu of fishing that spare out...hahaha

Glad you were not ticketed and just kindly asked to move on.

Zipped tied, that's interesting. I was going to use VHB tape to stick the key to the van structure but your idea is a lot better.

Yeah I wasn't ticketed this time, but I wish to go back to the same spot 2-3 times per week, parked up until midnight so I can do kontiki fishing. I've now got to worry about returning to my van to find a fine attached to the window by the same security woman thinking I'm up to my old tricks again. Sure I can plead not guilty and fight it in court but that's going to take multiple court appearances, time off work, legal fees, etc and it's going to turn into a big hassle and drama and probably cost me more than the fine.

Thank goodness I have a Ford with a remote entry touch pad. As far as getting booted, most places restrict to 2 weeks so you were doing pretty good at three.

jimindenver said:
Thank goodness I have a Ford with a remote entry touch pad. As far as getting booted, most places restrict to 2 weeks so you were doing pretty good at three.

In the area where I stayed, not allowed to stay there even for one night. But I previously lived in the area and was aware that the three houses over looking my camping area are holiday homes and are unoccupied. For that reason I thought I could last until at least Christmas before the holiday home owners return and report me for "ruining the beach scenery with my presence".

Don’t want to blow up the thread but am real interested in your fishing setup now

PECVD2 said:
I have a spare zip tied to the frame.

Then you'd need to be sure to have something to cut the zip tie with. Some people always carry a knife or multi-tool and feel naked without it, but they probably also feel naked without their keys. If not, then it's a little odd they'd form one habit but not the other.

PECVD2 said:
Don’t want to blow up the thread but am real interested in your fishing setup now

It's a seahorse kontiki, the same as this one: https://www.seahorse.net.nz/product_details/p/27/c/30/Std Seahorse™ Kontiki

I purchased it second hand for half the price of what it's worth. The former owner set it up to have 25 hooks spread over 50 metres but I'm going to add more longline trace stoppers to have 25 hooks spread out over 150metres to cover more area.

For bait I'll use kahawai which will make up part of the catch as these types of fish are quite abundant. As a second bait option there is a wharf near by where I can also catch small fish for bait.

I can set the kontiki to go out as far as 1000 metres. But at night the fish come in close to shore so I'll only need to set it to 500 metres. I'm going to recharge the kontiki batteries on my solar panel system.

The kontiki, winch and accessories sit snug in the back of my 1999 Toyota Hiace van ready for deployment.

MrNoodly said:
Then you'd need to be sure to have something to cut the zip tie with. Some people always carry a knife or multi-tool and feel naked without it, but they probably also feel naked without their keys. If not, then it's a little odd they'd form one habit but not the other.

Good point. Although I'd hope that a little zip tie doesn't bring me to ruin if I was locked out. I'd use anything at hand to break the zip tie.

Oddly enough I love my DC Gerber Toad stabber and being naked as often as I can.

Yes those Seahorse units look amazing and buying second hand with all the accessories is the way to go.
Are you typically catching Snapper?

Before I got a vehicle with a key/remote combo I always kept a key hidden behind one of the screws holding my tag on! It is easy to get to year around in any weather and very secure from loss in rough terrain! It is also fairly secure from loss via criminal types if you do your part!

SD

To release a ty-wrapped key, just twist the key back and forth until the tie breaks...

There's the rub. Property owners want to have a wilderness type experience on their place while controlling everyone who walks down the street, and the boondockers are just trying to survive.   -crofter