I got the ban hammer!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripper

Reaction score
A popular facebook boon docking group banned me without warning, must admit I am pissed about it, i think I accidentally may have violated their rule of not selling or advertising.

There was a discussion about running an AC off of solar, there were at least 20 people saying it couldn't be done or was much too expensive, so I posted a list of all the items I use to run an AC, it was comprehensive, listed the manufacturer, price, and a pic. The total cost was $2000.  I just wanted to show what I was actually using and that it could be done for a moderately cheap price. I'm guessing that I was perceived to be advertising those companies or else I proved an admin wrong about not being able to do solar AC cheaply.  Just sucks as I enjoyed the Facebook page and the interactions with the boon dockers. Just venting, it sucks when you try and help people and that happens; I was having an interactive dialog with several people regarding the subject at the time and now I have no access to who they were.

I'm sorry that happened to you itripper. It has happened to me before on a backpacking forum...years ago.

As a moderator, here, and on fb I'd advise you to send a PM to the page's admin.
On fb, anything can happen. Fb glitches happen all the time. We're human and make mistakes.
I bet if your courteous and explain as you've done here you'll be reinstated

Drama? On Facebook? What a surprise!

:p

Hey I have always regarded your posts as well written, concise, correct, informative, and devoid of BS.

Maybe they have no desire or tolerance for correct information, and prefer, instead, to propagate the 'party line'....and we've seen this before...

:dodgy:

Cool thanks, maybe I will contact the admin.  $2k isn't cheap, but it is not only for the AC, it is an entire electrical system that lets you live with most of the conveniences of home  while on the road.  I think of it as cheap compared to the price of the vehicle.  The boondocking site had a couple of people saying $10,000 + is what they spent to do it.
For some reason people seem to think you need a lot of batteries (like 600-800 ah), when minimally all they need is 1 battery (enough for the initial power draw on inverter) and enough solar and sunlight during the day.

A spray bottle filled with water IS cheap, and it got me thru some VERY hot days over the last few weeks....

:p

I would try to pm the site admin, sounds like a simple misunderstanding. Or I don't think we would mind hearing how to get that much power into our systems.
I for one am very interested in the information. I am running a basic system
for lighting and fans plus a water pump and charging ports. I would love to be able to power a fridge and mini microwave without running, dare I say that word a generator. Good luck with your reinstatement in the group.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I go north when it's hot. Costs me some gas, but I get to see lots of new things. And I go south when it's cold, which keeps me warm through the winter. :)

Some moderators here, (not Cyndi), will put you on censorship here as well if your opinion differs from theirs. Whenever I list the moderators handle, that post is deleted as well. I E-mailed Bob Wells but got no reply. I live in Pahrump Nv. and he comes here once a year and I know where he camps. Maybe I will stop by for a chat the next time he is here.

On solar air conditioning, I am running a 5,000 BTU AC off of 960 Watts of solar panels on a van. I figured it cost me around $1,300 for parts. This also allows me to have a microwave oven for daytime cooking. A 12 volt refrigerator runs all night and the batteries are recharged in the morning in just a couple of hours. I did a video about it here

For those that think they simply must have solar-powered aircon, $2000 is very cheap.

In fact if you wanted the system to perform well and last for many years, getting to the lowest cost per year would IMO require investing a lot more.

And yes, PMing the admin with a calm, friendly and well reasoned plea may well get you back in.

DannyB1954 said:
Some moderators here, (not Cyndi), will put you on censorship here as well if your opinion differs from theirs.
And here we go again. Jeebus, this crap gets tedious after a while. (sigh)
Perhaps you'd be happier somewhere else, then?

lenny flank said:
And here we go again. Jeebus, this crap gets tedious after a while. (sigh)
Perhaps you'd be happier somewhere else, then?

Was responding to the topic of the OP. Perhaps you should address the topic or go somewhere else. After all you are the one who finds this tedious.
I made nothing up. Is it really your job to run editorial on what others post?

Oh! I'm accused of censorship just like any of the mods and admins on the forum. And I'm biased. And I play favorites. The list goes on and on.

Whether it's fb or crvl, read the guidelines. If you don't find the answer there, PM a moderator. Ask your question respectfully and you'll get an answer.

If that's the worse that has happened to you you are doing alright as far as I can tell.