Urban Boondocking Safety Tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akblack10

Reaction score
dwbm.jpg

Above, a picture of Bertha and I boon docking on 17 Mile Drive in Pacific Grove, California in 2012.

Over the past 3 and a half years I have done a fair amount of vehicle traveling, to include 2 trips from Kentucky to California and back, 2 trips from Kentucky to Florida and numerous trips throughout the midwest! I'm happy to report that I have enjoyed safe travels during all these trips!

During most of my travels I boon-dock about 75% of the time. The other 25% of the time, I stay with friends or pay to spend the night at a campground or RV park. Many of my friends ask where "I stay" when on the road. I say boon-docking and then often need to explain what boon-docking is.
Many respond with, "I could never do that… just park somewhere and spend the night… aren't you worried…" This response is probably common with many of my vehicle-dwelling blog readers who also boondock. I tell my friends that boon-docking can be safe and a lot of fun!

Just in case you're a new reader, a quick web-search defines boon-docking as,

(boondock) A brushy rural area or location; To camp in a dry brushy location; To stay in a recreational vehicle in a remote location, without connections to water, power, or sewer services.

That definition looks pretty good to me but I would also add that,

(boondock) can also occur in an urban area on city streets or parking lots, where you over-night park or camp in your vehicle without fees,

The more I thought about boondocking, it got me thinking about what tips I would give someone preparing to go boondocking for their very first time, more specifically Urban Boon-Docking. So, I decided to compile a list of tips for travelers new to Urban Boondocking.

Below are a few of my Urban Boondocking Safety Tips:

-Be alert, use your instincts, use common sense.
Be aware of your surroundings, check around your vehicle before exiting. If a particular location doesn't look or feel right, move to another spot! There are usually plenty of other boon docking spots!

-Avoid boondocking in high crime areas.
Most crimes occur at night and in close proximity to rest stops, gas stations, convenience stores and ATMs, avoid boondocking near these high crime areas.

-Avoid boondocking in high alcohol-sales areas.
Not all people who drink are drunks, but drunks are no fun to deal with late at night, when you are cozy in your vehicle, trying to get some sleep. I recommend avoiding parking near bars, alcohol package stores and other places where you may encounter lots of drunk people!

-Avoid parking in areas that have reduced visibility.
Avoid parking near dumpsters, wooded areas, construction equipment or anything else that may reduce your visibility. You want to be able to see people approaching your vehicle as far out as possible.

- Boondock in well illuminated spots.
Many vehicle dwellers try to find the best "hidden, out of the way" parking spot when Urban Boondocking. They think that if they can find a dark, out of the way spot, nobody will bother them.
I take the opposite approach, when I urban boondock. I try to find the best illuminated spot in plain view. I think if a resident sees a van circling a parking lot and then going to the back corner to park is considered more suspicious than just parking in plain view under a streetlight.

-Lock your vehicle at all times.
I recommend locking your vehicle at all times, even if you leave your vehicle for only a moment.
It doesn't take a thief more than seconds to open your vehicle door and grab a few items. This includes locking your vehicle when you are fueling up.

-Do not open the door for anyone, unless you know who they are.
Do not open the door of your RV, just because someone knocks on the door! Make sure you can see who is knocking, if you can't see them, ask them to move to an area where you can see them! Even if someone claims to be a police officer, don't automatically open the door. There is nothing wrong with calling the local police dispatch to confirm that an officer is at your vehicle door!

-Keep all valuables out of view.
Store all your valuables out of sight! Thieves are opportunists, they are more likely to risk going to jail, breaking into a vehicle they know has valuables, than one they have no idea what's inside!

-Keep your blinds shut at all times.
If a would-be thief can see into your vehicle, he will know that,
a) You are not in your vehicle and he is free to break-in, or
b) A woman is alone in her vehicle, and maybe in his eyes, an easy target!
Remember, out of sight, out of mind!

-Install a CO / Fire and LP detector.
Portable, battery operated carbon monoxide detector / fire detectors are inexpensive and easily installed on the wall of your van, truck bed or RV. I have a CO / Fire Detector installed in the camper shell of my Tacoma because I often sleep in the bed! Your life is certainly worth the $30 to $50 dollars a detector costs!

-Maintain a low profile.
Try not to bring unnecessary attention to you and your vehicle. If you park in a Walmart parking lot at 2 AM, and look like just another late night shopper, you probably won't get a second look. But on the other hand, if you breakout the BBQ grill, lawn chairs and clothesline tied to a lamp-post, you will definitely get unwanted attention.

-Always be courteous.
The old saying that you can attract more flies with honey than with vinegar is true for boondocking too! It doesn't matter if you interact with the police, shopping mall security or another patron, be friendly and courteous! That person just might return the favor!

-Have your keys in your hand and at the ready as you approach your vehicle.
When you approach your vehicle, have your keys at the ready. If you fumble around in a bag or purse looking for your vehicle keys, you give a criminal the opportunity to sneak up on you while you are distracted, looking for your keys.

-In parking structures, avoid stairwells.
If you decide to doondock in a Parking Structure, it's safer to go up or down levels on the ramps and not in the stairwells. Stairwells at night are often high crime areas. On the ramp just remember to watch out for passing automobiles.

-Install a kill switch or vehicle alarm.
Homes with alarm systems have a much lower burglary rate, and since your vehicle is your "home," think about installing an alarm or kill switch to prevent theft of your belongings or worse yet, theft of your vehicle!

-Strategically park your vehicle.
Park your vehicle in a direction that provides the most visibility on your doors, to include the van rear doors or truck tailgate. If the criminal has out of sight access to your doors, he can more easily break in! When I park my Bigfoot Truck Camper I always make sure the rear door is most visible to passers-by.

-Hide copies of important documents.
Thieves want to spend as little time as possible in your home / vehicle. They can't steal what they can't find, so hide copies of important documents like vehicle registration, insurance, etc…

-Record serial numbers of important electronic devices.
Record the serial numbers of important electronic devices like cameras, laptops, GPS units, etc… It may not prevent theft but it just may help you get stolen items back form the police if they are recovered.

-A few places I've had safe boondocking experiences.
24 hour big box store parking lots.
Medium sized, chain hotel parking lots, most are extremely well illuminated.
Church Parking Lots, ask first!
Police Department Parking Areas, or rather, close to police departments.
Costco / Sams Club, they often have free wifi accessible from the parking lots.
24 hour Fast Food parking lots, added bonus is inexpensive, tasty coffee in the morning!

I hope these tips help keep you safe during your next Urban Boondocking Experience!
Please comment below if you have other tips!

Thanks for the tips, I agree with virtually all of them. The only thing I'd be iffy about is parking at or near a police station, but who knows? I'm sure that works for some.

I would add one thing from my years of experience being cautious to the point of paranoid. NEVER, NEVER ever park, exit your vehicle, and then open say your trunk to put something inside (because you forgot to do so earlier). You never know who is nearby looking at your vehicle. As soon as you open your trunk to put something inside, a potential thief will wonder if that item is valuable. Plus once you've opened your trunk (or side doors, etc), this also exposes the inside content of your vehicle and the potential valuables inside.

I know this is a hassle, but this is what **I** would do (and always do, in fact). If for example I parked my vehicle at a parking lot (or street), and I realize I forgot to put something away in the trunk (or side doors), I would go ahead and put the item inside the vehicle. I would then also start the engine, and park at a DIFFERENT spot that's far enough away from the original spot so that any potential thief who might have seen me the first time would see I've driven away.

The only exception I would make to this general rule would be this scenario. Assuming I just parked say my van at a spot and I forgot to put away a backpack. I would for example enter through the van's passenger door, and sit there for a few seconds (as if I'm just hanging out). Then I would go to the back of the van (through the interior) and place the backpack somewhere in the rear of vehicle where it can't be seen. I would then maybe wait another 20 seconds or so (for any potential lurkers nearby to leave) and then exit the van through the driver side door and then go around the back side of the van so that any potential lurkers nearby won't see that I've left the vehicle.

Obviously, all the above that I've described is a bit of a hassle. The better thing to do is to take an extra 10 seconds BEFORE exiting vehicle to make sure you want to put away anything before getting outside.

I will tell you this. I've never had my vehicle broken into as a result of carelessness. However, I've known friends who have had their trunks broken into because they put their purses into the trunk after they parked their car. Totally not smart. An once of prevention really goes a long way.

About parking near or in the Police Dept's lot; it probably depends. If you're passing through and you go ask them first if you can park there, saying that you're too tired to drive, they should be ok with it. I would write 2 notes and tape it to the 2 front windows indicating which cop at the front desk said it was OK, etc. Don't put the date/time since that would trigger an expiration date as to how long you can reasonably stay. This should lessen the chances of some other cop knocking on your van, waking you up while you're sleeping in the back. They get nervous if someone looks like they may be casing the joint for an attack.

If you're staying over a week in that town, then I wouldn't want the cops to notice and remember your rig.

One thing that I would add, and one that I have said a million times; if a cop knocks on your van door, simply DO NOT ANSWER. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING they can do to you as long as you never answer the door. It is only once you answer that door that your rights can be violated and you can be harassed and/or arrested. By not answering the door, the officer is completely and totally neutered and has NO POWER at all. He can not arrest you, he can not tow your vehicle (assuming you are not blocking a driveway or another car). He can not do a single thing but get back in his car and leave. Simply drive off once he has left, which he will very soon. I do this ALL THE TIME, and never been arrested, harassed, or towed. They always leave and I never have to answer a single question or show my ID.

MK7's video shows just how much the police will willfully violate your rights in hopes that you do not know your own rights.

"Am I being detained?"
"I want a layer"

Police nullified... every single other word after that only gets you one step closer to being harassed and arrested. Take the 5th and walk away.

Van-Tramp said:
One thing that I would add, and one that I have said a million times; if a cop knocks on your van door, simply DO NOT ANSWER. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING they can do to you as long as you never answer the door. It is only once you answer that door that your rights can be violated and you can be harassed and/or arrested. By not answering the door, the officer is completely and totally neutered and has NO POWER at all. He can not arrest you, he can not tow your vehicle (assuming you are not blocking a driveway or another car). He can not do a single thing but get back in his car and leave. Simply drive off once he has left, which he will very soon. I do this ALL THE TIME, and never been arrested, harassed, or towed. They always leave and I never have to answer a single question or show my ID.

MK7's video shows just how much the police will willfully violate your rights in hopes that you do not know your own rights.

"Am I being detained?"
"I want a layer"

Police nullified... every single other word after that only gets you one step closer to being harassed and arrested. Take the 5th and walk away.

Caseyc, Mk7 and Van-Tramp, thanks for the additional tips, all good. Van-Tramp, your position of never answering the knock of the Police is interesting, and it has worked for you. I'm not sure I could avoid their knock? I've never been bothered at night by anyone.
-AK