Help me pick a camper!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There ya go Dave!

Bob's answer is perfect for your needs/wants.

The neat part about his method is that you'll have a van that gets regular useage, not a truck that sits around waiting for it's next outting. When they sit, they go bad. (kinda like teenagers) :D

plus you can take or leave the trailer as needed. (these won't go bad.)

Man, I can find E-250 and E-350 all day long. Chevy's are a lot harder to find in my area.

Bob,
Are you saying a 03 or newer van? I’m looking for the best gas mileage possible, rock solid motor and trans, easy to work on.
Just something to think about. I’m in NYS so on 95 and newer vehicles if there’s a check engine light on it won’t pass inspection.

Bob is saying ~03 or EARLIER!
Like my 1975 Chevy 1 ton high top :D No I really don't think he meant that old. Mine is a pig compared to an early 90's model. But it has NO check engine light ;) I can get 13 mpg on a nice day in the summer @ 55mph. I think a van like Bobs get around 16-18mpg depending on how you drive it.

crazy_dave said:
Man, I can find E-250 and E-350 all day long. Chevy's are a lot harder to find in my area.

Bob,
Are you saying a 03 or newer van? I’m looking for the best gas mileage possible, rock solid motor and trans, easy to work on.
Just something to think about. I’m in NYS so on 95 and newer vehicles if there’s a check engine light on it won’t pass inspection.

Simran said:
Bob is saying ~03 or EARLIER!

Yep, but in post #9 he said (2004 or newer extended Chevy Express cargo van with a 5.3 liter V8 (18 mpg) towing a 6x10 cargo trailer.)
So Im a little confused as what years to look for and the ones I found say they have a 5.7 in them.

I think Bob wishes he had a van that was a year older ;)

I think I’m on the outside of an inside joke. So do the 03 and earlier Chevy express get better mileage than 04 and newer? Should I be looking for 03 and older?

Crazy Dave, I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear, in fact I was downright confusing. :p So let me try to clarify myself.

I'm not a fan of older vehicles. The oldest I would want to buy is a 1996 with OBD II. I am a huge fan of the Chevy 5.3!! I've known several people with them that consistently got 18-20 MPG and they have great power. It's the engine I recommend to everyone.

They started putting them in the Express vans in 2003 so that's why you have to buy a 2003 or earlier (see, I did it again, I mean NEWER). The 2004 in one post was just a typo.

If you can't afford that new a van then I'd look for a Ford 5.4 which they stated using in 1997. The Dodge 318 in their vans is a great engine and capable of 18-20 MPG or more.
Bob

Bob, you did lead us astray didn't you! :dodgy: :blush:
Thanks for making a showing and clarifying that for us. No telling where we'd a gone with all that misinformation :angel:

akrvbob said:
Crazy Dave, I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear, in fact I was downright confusing. :p So let me try to clarify myself.

I'm not a fan of older vehicles. The oldest I would want to buy is a 1996 with OBD II. I am a huge fan of the Chevy 5.3!! I've known several people with them that consistently got 18-20 MPG and they have great power. It's the engine I recommend to everyone.

They started putting them in the Express vans in 2003 so that's why you have to buy a 2003 or earlier (see, I did it again, I mean NEWER). The 2004 in one post was just a typo.

If you can't afford that new a van then I'd look for a Ford 5.4 which they stated using in 1997. The Dodge 318 in their vans is a great engine and capable of 18-20 MPG or more.
Bob

Whats everyones thoughts on a 2002 Dodge Ram2500 van with the 318 (5.2) 140,000mi.
$2500 O/B ?

Depending on condition this could be a good place to start a van project. The 318 is fairly good on gas for a V8. dodge dive lines are solid. Is it an extended version? Many of the Ram2500's were.

crazy_dave said:
Whats everyones thoughts on a 2002 Dodge Ram2500 van with the 318 (5.2) 140,000mi.
$2500 O/B ?

I believe so, but I can’t tell from the pix if it’s extended or not. I’ve emailed him for more details.
My concern with Dodge is I keep reading how the transmissions are weak. Should this be a concern?
I’d really like to take Bobs advice but I’m having a hard time finding a Chevy Express with the 5.3.

I just really a van that will last me a few years of light travel and gets good gas mileage.

OK, now for the woman's point of view. I was a tomboy too but a bathroom and place to clean up are a must. I found a 1987 high top Ford with less than 60,000 miles on it for $1500. It used to be an ice cream truck. It drives perfectly, there are deals out there. I bought an 3 foot long rv sized bathtub and installed it across the back with fresh water tank below. I've got a 3 gallon hot water tank too. The van battery runs the pump. A table is installed next to it. Takes up only two feet of space across the back with room for the porti-potty under the table. I originally set it up for mobile dog grooming but can use if for camping with just a good cleaning. Add a drop down piece of plywood over the tub and table and you have a bed for that 3rd person. I make do with a 32x80 sofa bed running down the drivers side but that could have just as easily been a futon that would sleep you and your lady at night. Storage underneath and room for a closet across from the bed. My bicycle fits easily in front of the bed, it would depend on law large your bike is as to whether you could get that in. It would be tight but if you're spending most of your time outside it would work. A fantastic fan vent will help keep things bearable in summer. It rarely gets hot enough to need air in upstate NY in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of the dodge 318. In good shape and driven right you can get 17-20 MPG with one. I'd be very interested in that van. Be sure to get it checked out by a mechanic. Especially the front end. One of the knocks on Dodge vans is the front ends tend to wander especially when the van is loaded heavy. Roadtrek built a lot of Class Bs on Dodge chassis and they had a strong tendency to wander at speed. But you will probably never load it as heavy as they were.
Bob

I wouldn't worry to much about a Chrysler transmission in a 2500 van as long as it passed the mechanic test. If I were buying that van one of the first things I'd do, if a mechanic gives it the thumbs up, is have the trans. serviced if it hasn't been done. It's about due. If it is in good mechanical condition I think you'll like the van really.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this one. for $700.00? 1999 Ford E250 hi- top extended
99-E250.jpg99E250.jpg99`E250.jpg99$E250.jpg
From the owner:

I have owned the van for around 2 years.

The guy before more put bucks into it, got a pile of receipts. I didn't have to do anything except change oil.

The frame has surface rust but everything seems solid. All the spring hangers look solid. Steering is good.

Mechanically it needs some things for sure. I think it's got 171K.

Like I said it skips after 15 min of driving, code said cyl #4 misfire. Could be the plug or the coil pack above it?? That's the major issue.

The muffler broke at the front nipple.

The tires are worn. One or 2 are marginal at best.

The rust on the rockers is thru on the pass side in the rear. Needs a sheet metal patch.

the light for air bags stays on.

Brakes are up and work but I bet it needs fronts.

radiator is fairly new.

trans works perfect, overdrive got me around 17mpg down to NYC. SO the motor must be OK.

heater and ac work fine.

rear was good, no noise.

it drove very well for something that big

If you had a way to get some cheap tires 225 75 16 and could fix some problems it could be good

Attachments

• 99-E250.jpg
    99-E250.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 99E250.jpg
    99E250.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 99`E250.jpg
    99`E250.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 99$E250.jpg
    99$E250.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 8
I can't wait to see the responses. I would buy it but I'm not the right person to ask. It's 12 years newer than mine but has much higher mileage. I love that it has side doors instead of a slider, mine is a bear to get open sometimes. Tires run about $100 a piece in that size. Other than that I know nothing about mechanical issues.

I'd go buy it right now unless it is just totally shot! If you can have a mechanic look at it but for that price you can't go wrong.
Bob

even if you hafta replace all the plug wires and the coils, it's still worth $700!

Go to the junkyard and get some decient used tires...cheap!

That’s what I was thinking.
It’s got the 5.4 in it so it could very well be a coil or plug. He’s pricing it as scrape because he doesn’t want to put any money into it. I have to check it out but few bucks and a little work I think I could bring it back.

Latest posts