Help me pick a camper!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_dave

Reaction score
I’m looking for some advice and direction in life.

A little bit about me,
I’m almost 40 and live in Upstate NY. I enjoy the outdoors, fishing, hiking, cross country skiing, kayaking, etc….. But my passion is motorcycles. Mostly dual sport and trials riding these days. Please keep that in mind when making suggestions on what vehicle to buy. I will have at least one in it on long trips. I can always put it outside when setting up for the night.

I am looking to build a stealth camper van. From riding motorcycles for most of my life I understand that there is no one bike that can do it all and I’m sure it’s going to be the same with a camper van.

So I’m just going to make a list and see how close I can get.

1. I can start out with a budget of $5 to 7K.I would love a Sprinter type van but that’s not in my budget at this time. As I get closer to retiring I would like to permanently live mobile ( I think) so that maybe in the future. This will be my test run to see if I will be able to live the minimal life style.

2. What type of used vehicle should I be looking at? Box Van or Van & trailer? What about retiring fleet vehicles?

3. Diesel or gas? Diesels are nice but I worry about repair bills.

4. Engine life and ease of maintenance. It needs to be robust as I like to get off the beaten path.

5. Best gas mileage possible at least 12MPG.

6. Stealth, so plain colors & no windows- City, urban and rural. Ill mostly be out boon docking thou.

7. I will be using a compost toilet but I would like to add hot and cold water for drinking, cooking, maybe an outside shower. Not a must but it would be nice.

8. I would like it to be as self sufficient as possible. With kayak rack and solar panels on top.

9. It’s going to need at least one bed/bunk for the G/F or her daughter. Fold up type would be fine.

I prefer sleeping in hammocks so that could save space. But it’s kinda hard to make the magic in one. I don’t see more than 3 people in it at a time.

10. Being in upstate NY the weather here can be a little goofy. It’s going to need heat and AC and I’ll probably end up using them on the same day. There is a good chance I will be using it in snowy conditions as well so I’m going to need to insulate it.

Well this should give me somewhere to start. Let the fun begin.
And thank you all in advance for your time and help.

If you want a/c you will be plugging in or using a generator, it wont happen with solar. No way. My guess, is a small toy hauler and a van or a small 5 th wheel toy hauler. I just cant picture it with a bike inside, solar and kayaks on top, water tank, water pump, batteries, clothes, food and beds for 3 and be stealth.

Sounds like you're looking at accommodating 3 people, one a youth female.
I think I'd consider a box truck or stepvan for the extra space. Toy haulers are often built with bed/s that lower from above and either of these trucks would work, IMO.
A van/trailer combo works for 1 or 2, but would be too dern crowded for me...especially with the needs of a young female being aboard.

:D Yup, its tough trying to make any sort of magic in a hammock...now, kinky is another story ;)

A extended cargo van would have been perfect with 1 or 2 people, but the third person puts you in a bigger rig like bindi said. Hard to find a box truck/van that gets over 12 mpg in the gas version. I'd look at the Isuzu NPR's or box van with diesel's.. Some step vans have the small cummins motor in them and they run really good with relatively no issues...

Thank you all for the replies. Are there any year, make, and models I should be looking at?
How are the old 4cyl turbo Mitsubishis? Are diesels that bad to work on?

Hi Dave!!

Yeah, a stepvan is the rig for you!

Easy to convert, dandy on gas, and diesel ones are easy to find too.

Easy to drive, and roomy enough to throw a bike inside, and still have room for everybody. Pull the bike out, and flop down a wall mounted bed and the daughter has her own spot now too.

Plus, driving a stepvan is fun and has great visibility, so the gals will love that part too.

If mechanical issues arise, then you get to work indoors out of the weather. :D

Welcome to the forum!!

Patrick in Oregon

Thinking about the kiddo...the box truck actually sounds pretty good. Give the girl child the cabover section as a private space with a rear full bed that lowers. Kids like their own space.

Stepvans are sooo cool tho :D

Hi,

I'd agree about the boxvan with an attic for some privacy. A shelf on the wall isn't going to be healthy for you and your g/f or for the youngster if it's more than a few days her and there.

I know when it came to me as a young teen camping with my parents without the cab over someone would have died - yikes!

Whatever unit you end up with I sure hope you have too much fun. *smile*

2004 or newer extended Chevy Express cargo van with a 5.3 liter V8 (18 mpg) towing a 6x10 cargo trailer. That will do everything you ask. You will have to carry a generator for the AC.
bob

I'll third (fourth, fifth? :D) the box truck with attic. Built in, private sleep space and plenty of room up top for solar and kayak. Depending on length, you can section off a couple of feet in the back as the 'garage', and keep the motorcycle, genny and battery bank back there.

He wants 12 mpg and he isn't going to get that out of a box truck. He'll be lucky to get 10 and this is just an experiment. If he decides he doesn't like it he's stuck with a box truck.
bob

We don't know the age of the female youth here, but especially with teens, there are privacy issues that are almost impossible to meet in a van.

Same situation...if he doesn't like it he's stuck with a van and a trailer.
We would like to get better mileage too, but we give up a couple MPGs for the extra creature comforts, like toilet, shower, fridge, kitchen and such. Its all give and take and each person's needs/wants differ.
Guess that's one good reason for the many styles of wheel estate we see on the road and why so many come here looking for options.

crazy_dave said:
I’m looking for some advice and direction in life.

A little bit about me,
I’m almost 40 and live in Upstate NY. I enjoy the outdoors, fishing, hiking, cross country skiing, kayaking, etc….. But my passion is motorcycles. Mostly dual sport and trials riding these days. Please keep that in mind when making suggestions on what vehicle to buy. I will have at least one in it on long trips. I can always put it outside when setting up for the night.

I am looking to build a stealth camper van. From riding motorcycles for most of my life I understand that there is no one bike that can do it all and I’m sure it’s going to be the same with a camper van.

So I’m just going to make a list and see how close I can get.

1. I can start out with a budget of $5 to 7K.I would love a Sprinter type van but that’s not in my budget at this time. As I get closer to retiring I would like to permanently live mobile ( I think) so that maybe in the future. This will be my test run to see if I will be able to live the minimal life style.

2. What type of used vehicle should I be looking at? Box Van or Van & trailer? What about retiring fleet vehicles?

3. Diesel or gas? Diesels are nice but I worry about repair bills.

4. Engine life and ease of maintenance. It needs to be robust as I like to get off the beaten path.

5. Best gas mileage possible at least 12MPG.

6. Stealth, so plain colors & no windows- City, urban and rural. Ill mostly be out boon docking thou.

7. I will be using a compost toilet but I would like to add hot and cold water for drinking, cooking, maybe an outside shower. Not a must but it would be nice.

8. I would like it to be as self sufficient as possible. With kayak rack and solar panels on top.

9. It’s going to need at least one bed/bunk for the G/F or her daughter. Fold up type would be fine.

I prefer sleeping in hammocks so that could save space. But it’s kinda hard to make the magic in one. I don’t see more than 3 people in it at a time.

10. Being in upstate NY the weather here can be a little goofy. It’s going to need heat and AC and I’ll probably end up using them on the same day. There is a good chance I will be using it in snowy conditions as well so I’m going to need to insulate it.

Well this should give me somewhere to start. Let the fun begin.
And thank you all in advance for your time and help.

Looks to me like only a rv is gonna work for you with that many people. Ive worked in rv parks & its the wife that hates the life style. I know because Ive heard them complain about it and then the next thing that happens is she wont wanna go & your now stuck with something too big. The box truck sounds good but they get stuck easy and allot of rv parks dont allow them. Some rv parks dont even allow real rvs over 10 yrs old. I get what your saying but your talking major bucks. Ive got solar panels and all the other goodies plus my vehicle is very stealthy.
If I were you, I would just go with a Econoline van, pull the cycle behind on a trailer, put the kids in the van, lock it & have a tent for you & the misses for starters. Im betting the misses & kids will tire of it all after a few trips & then you'll have all the space to yourself. Mind you I worked in an rv park & seen & heard it all. Its you that will have fun, not them.

WOW, what great replies! Thank you all so much.
Please give me a few minutes to digest everything and formulate a reply.

I’m really new to this so I’m just throwing out ideas and answering questions as I go along. Actually answering questions maybe the way to go.
And please, nobody get offended if my idea of camping is deferent than yours. Right now my needs may be different than yours, but that could change in time. So, all comments are welcome and valuable to me.

• I really don’t see us frequenting RV parks and I’m pretty sure I do not want an actual RV.
My idea is for barebones camping out in the middle of nowhere. To start out it will only be weekends or a week at the most. I love the Adirondack’s and I have a camp in Redfield NY. The problem with the camp is I still have to truck the kayaks down to the reservoir to play and I’m stuck in one area. If I was mobile I could pick different spots for a month and never see the same place twice.
I’m probably going to beat the hell out of whatever I get. So it needs to be tuff, function over fashion. I could care less about how pretty it is on the outside. The insides are what matters to me. It needs it to be comfortable and functional.

• The daughter is 14 and kind of a tom boy. She does very well without all the creature comforts.
However, she will not be with us all the time. (Hell, the G/F won’t be with me all the time). So if need be we can make alternative arrangements for her when she comes along. In the summer I’ll be outside in a hammock anyhow.

• I really like the idea of a box truck.
If it doesn’t work out as a camper I can always turn it into a toy hauler. I truck my bikes down to PA and ride the Allegheny forest a few times a year. A box van would give me a safe place to sleep and a place to secure the bikes when not riding. The box truck would take the place of a pickup.

• Gas or Diesel?
I’m not against a Diesel. I just don’t know much about them and have heard horror stories.
I’m good with a wrench and do all the work on my bikes and most of the work on my cars.

• Solar panels would be nice because most places I will be going won’t have hookups. It doesn’t need to be able to run an AC. I’ve made a few swap coolers that I could use in a pinch.

• I will be using a compost toile but a water supply is a must, washing, cooking, and cleaning.
O.K, let’s see where we go from here. Please be patient with my replies as I don’t have home internet and sometimes it may take a bit for me to get back.

Man, I gotta stop reading old posts. Every time I think I’m getting closer to making up my mind I read something that takes me the other way.
I think it’s going to be a van, step van, or box truck.
Not sure about diesel or gas with a budget of 5 to 6K.

I think a van with cargo trailer is perfect for you for these reasons:

1) Put a very basic home in the van and when you are on trips alone leave the trailer at home and get 18 mpg instead of 8-10 with box van or RV.
2) A van alone can go MANY more places that an RV or box van can't! Even with the trailer they can go many places an RV or box van can't.
3) When the GF goes take the trailer and live in luxury with plenty of room. or if she is a minimalist you might could just take the van alone.
4) When the daughter goes she gets her own private bedroom in the van and you guys get the trailer. Everybody gets privacy!! That's extremely important for teenage girls!

I'm not speculating or guessing, I live in a van and cargo trailer and nothing offers as much flexibility or the great gas mileage. It's going to be perfect for you!
Bob

Any suggestions on what make, model, and years to looks at?
I’m going to be buying used so it’s probably going to be up there in mileage. What’s a reasonable mileage and price I should be looking for?
Do you have any pictures of this kind of setup?

Thank you for your time.

2003 or earlier 1 ton Chevy extended cargo van with a 5.3 liter V8. You should be able to get 18 mpg out of it. The transmission in that one is one of the best ever made. Better than in the Ford. If you fall in love with travel but want to upgrade the 1 ton can easily tow a small economy car or a travel trailer.

Of course the lower the mileage the better but no more than 150,000.

I have a 6x10 converted cargo trailer and it is in fine for one person, with two people I'd suggest a 6x12.

Try to get a used one but they hold their value so well you may not save much.

Latest posts