I got my Big Buddy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvpopeye

Reaction score
After reading Bob's blog I went out in search of a Big Buddy.
I had a Wave 6 in my last moho but the cost was way higher and the heat way less !

The winner was Tractor Supply , they were on sale for $99.99 ! ($139 at Lowes and $119 at Wally's) The one at Lowes was labeled as "Tough Buddy" but it seemed the same as the others to me after reading the box?? They were all different colors too.
Red at Wally's , Yellow at Lowes and Green at Tractor Supply.

I had to special order the 271803 Hose w/ regulator and quick connect.
$66 with shipping etc. (ouch) but both together still not a bad deal!
Will get the hose next week direct from the factory.

I just tried it out with a 1# cylinder and WOW works like a dream , just in time too , was 18* last night . I was toasty in my sleeping bag within another sleeping bag but need to keep the rig from going glacial.

There was a little odor when I first lit it but went away within 5 minutes.

Thanks for the video Bob

rvpopeye said:
After reading Bob's blog I went out in search of a Big Buddy.
I had a Wave 6 in my last moho but the cost was way higher and the heat way less !

The winner was Tractor Supply , they were on sale for $99.99 ! ($139 at Lowes and $119 at Wally's) The one at Lowes was labeled as "Tough Buddy" but it seemed the same as the others to me after reading the box?? They were all different colors too.
Red at Wally's , Yellow at Lowes and Green at Tractor Supply.

I have a Tough Buddy that I bought in 2007.  They don't seem to be manufactured now, so I would guess that you got old stock.
Nothing wrong with that when it saves you money.

Bigger retailers sometimes get exclusive models so they won't have to price match.

Thanks again Bob .
I'm glad you took the time to explain all the ways to hook it up .

I'm getting another hose made up to hook it to my RV low pressure system at the 3/8" flare where the furnace was hooked up , and maybe another one to connect a 20# tank to the RV system too (I think they call those "Extend-A-Stay" at RV places)
I had one of those for my last moho . I already have an adapter to refill 1# tanks. All bases covered !?!

blars
Good point , that would mean they are all the same except color.

The (Yellow) Tough Buddy was at Lowes which IIRC they had last year, Wally's had Big Buddy (Red) last year too. The Big Buddy I got at Tractor Supply is (Green) , a color I haven't seen before but I never looked at Tractor Supply before either..

Anyhooo...... It works great , a little more heat than the tank top one I had last year (not a Buddy) I actually used 2 of those last year , BOTH died, not reccomended .

rvpopeye said:
The (Yellow) Tough Buddy was at Lowes which IIRC they had last year, Wally's had Big Buddy (Red) last year too. The Big Buddy I got at Tractor Supply is (Green) , a color I haven't seen before but I never looked at Tractor Supply before either..

Anyhooo...... It works great , a little more heat than the tank top one I had last year (not a Buddy) I actually used 2 of those last year , BOTH died, not reccomended .

Hey rvpopeye! I was just scanning Black Friday ads and saw this from TSC. Are the two tank top heaters that died the one pictured in the ad? Do you know what caused their demise?

I was thinking about that instead of the Mr Buddys (they're on sale too!) but may not if they're junk. Thanks!
28d062704abb2333a83899bd47014211.jpg

Yes , the one that is $39.95.
The screen burned through on the first one and a 3' high flame resulted !
The second one just stopped working????? Plugged up?
DON'T get that one ! It's junk.

The Lil Buddy ,Buddy and Big Buddy are awesome the only difference is really just the amount of heat you need. In a van that isn't in the extreme cold country the Buddy will probably be enough (and a little smaller than the Big Buddy which on high setting is 2x the heat of the Buddy on high but the same output on medium setting and Lil buddy on low setting..confused yet ?),if you use a hose and 20# tank , get the filter too. Actually , while you're there get a spare because they eventually need replacing. I remember Bob had a Lil Buddy but I think he doesn't use it at all ,,following the warmth/cool according to season instead ....

The Big Buddy also has a optional hose that has a quick disconnect and a regulator (what I use)
that doesn't require a filter. It was an order only item at Tractor Supply and the shipping made it cost double $70 !!...get it from Amazon if you want that.

Happy heating !

Scary! Don't need open flames in the confines of a van. I think the Lil Buddy will be enough. Thanks for the filter info too.

Congrats on the find but you will be battling moisture now.

To be warm is good, but to be warm and wet? Well...... not so good.
Better to be cold and dry.

Not a fan.

Dave

djkeev said:
Congrats on the find but you will be battling moisture now.

To be warm is good, but to be warm and wet? Well...... not so good.
Better to be cold and dry.

Not a fan.

Dave

I never had a moisture problem with my Mr. Heater Buddy in my extended cargo van. Of course, I had good ventilation (meaning an opening at the bottom of the bus door and some misalignment on the former wheel chair lift doors).

Inside and outside dew point temperatures will have an affect on interior condensation issues.

Here's some numbers I've found to be spot on.

At the low setting of 4000 BTU, my Mr Buddy runs though .044 gallons of propane per hour. On the high setting of 9000 BTU it's .099 gallons per hour.

Although chemically the burning of propane does in fact produce water (moisture), after using my Buddy heater now for five winters inside my Motorhome I have never one time seen signs of the accumulation of moisture.

By keeping the windows and/or vents cracked to provide ventilation moisture has not been a problem.

Of all the various heating methods which have been discussed here on CRVL and which I have tried, the Buddy heater is the single best solution for my conditions for providing a safe, reliable, heat source.

Do yourself a big favor: get a Buddy heater, a 20 pound bottle and a flexible hose; follow correct operating procedures using the device; and keep safety paramount in your lifestyle, and your heating/cold comfort problems are gone forever.

Don't kick a dead horse; move on to more important matters that can improve your lifestyle.

Just my opinion . . .

I accept that people are happy with their non venting heaters.

Truth is that their are very real concerns about these heaters. Not only moisture but fire safety and oxygen depletion as well.

To be happy with using one of these non venting units which require a window to be partially open is at best a compromise. You ignore the cold draft that alleviates moisture build up and oxygen depletion.
After all....... a moist drafty warmth IS better than no warmth isn't it?

An open window doesn't satisfy the fire hazard dangers from heaters like this.

The ultimate answer is a proper mobile furnace. There are many brands and they all use an external combustion air source, vent the combustion by products outside and circulate only heated interior air around your unit.
These units will provide you with REAL warmth, warmth that rivals a bricks and sticks house.

No matter what others say...... a non vented heater is simply a stop gap compromise to having real heat.
I've experienced both types of mobile heat..... they simply don't compare.

Dave

Based upon my experience, I would evaluate your conclusions as incorrect.

And that's why we have options....... :)

But based upon MY experiences, I am 100% correct.

This is why America is a great country; and CRVL is a great forum.

Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Were I not affected by the fumes I would love to try a buddy heater during the day when I have to turn the volume on the TV up and down as the furnace comes on and off. We still had to crack a few windows with the furnace, two adults and three dogs produce a fair amount of moisture.

I now own 2 big buddy heaters and one of the smaller ones. Bought them while I was doing the remodel on my house before the furnace was in and I gotta say i'm impressed with all of them. The two big buddys kept the first floor (800 sq ft) very comfortable. And that was 800 sq feet with no insulation and a lot of places for drafts to get in. Soon as insulation was added, two would heat it up in about an hour (in 30 degree weather) and one would maintain in quite nicely.

Going to hold onto one of the big ones for my vehicle travels and probably use the other to heat my garage when I'm working out there in the winter. The smaller one may eventually end up on CL. Figure they are good for back up heat too in the event of a power outage. That and the woodstove of course.

Latest posts