I came up with an invention for a van...the trailer hitch garden

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be thinking about the road dirt and exhaust fume in my salad greens.

D036E003-3C29-4DF7-8C33-2B2BB697183E.jpegTake a wild guess what you can put into your compost to fertilize whatever you grow.....what a great way to make use of it instead of getting rid of it !    I bought the book :  THE HUMANURE HANDBOOK by Joseph Jenkins about a year ago....maybe my subconscious is way ahead of me....(btw, i haven't finished reading it).   

I would love to grow stuff if i was a nomad.... :heart:

Attachments

• D036E003-3C29-4DF7-8C33-2B2BB697183E.jpeg
    D036E003-3C29-4DF7-8C33-2B2BB697183E.jpeg
    377 KB
Gypsy I think all that sounds great but how long does it take to turn poop into something you can use? A year to compost? I have a hard time understand how that can be practical at all in this lifestyle.

I see people talking about composting toilets but I don’t get it. How can anyone possibly carry around a years worth of poop waiting for it to break down. Or even a month or week?

The mobile compositing toilets are not REAL compositing toilets. Like you said the time it takes to really decompose human waste is to long. There have been members in the past that claim that after 2-4 weeks you could just throw it on the ground, WRONG.

Highdesertranger

Cammalu said:
Gypsy I think all that sounds great but how long does it take to turn poop into something you can use?  A year to compost?  I have a hard time understand how that can be practical at all in this lifestyle.

I see people talking about composting toilets but I don’t get it. How can anyone possibly carry around a years worth of poop waiting for it to break down. Or even a month or week?

Marketing gimmick.

Compost = good.  And that's true. But those toilets don't compost, they're not nearly large enough. All they do is collect waste and mix it with organic matter, so that it's easy to compost. And composting requires a good-sized hot pile.

The master of this subject is Jim Jenkins, referenced above. He uses a simple bucket toilet. Nothing else is needed, although the ones that allow you to mix the "stuff" are a nice touch. But again, not necessary.

Although it's great to buy his book, you sure don't have to. He offers a free download on his website of everything you really need to know. Reading that will show you exactly why these gizmos, while they might be handy and all, are really not composting toilets - they lack a compost pile where you can dump the contents. You're gonna have to dump it somewhere, and you can't dump it into an RV dump station, and most public land managers of vault toilets would also frown on such dumpage, because they use pumps and hoses to clean out the toilets, and they expect the waste to be slushy, not solid.

I used to grow veggies in milk crates. Line them with plastic bags, put in potting soil and plant. It was easy to lift them up and put them in the trailer when we moved. Plastic laundry baskets are good for growing plants too.