I bought an SUV now what?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franko

Reaction score
It took me 2 years to buy an affordable suv to start my off grid/van life adventures but i will need some help to get started..

My Suv = 2007 Mitsubishi outlander

About me = I am 6'3 in my 30s.

What I need = advice from the forum on how to set up the bed, power station, etc (videos and photos if possible).

Welcome, and I suggest you spend some time reading CheapRVLiving and threads here to see what others have done and get an idea as to what might work for you.

Then, ask your questions and get some guidance.

Good luck, and may many great adventures await. ☺️

Welcome, and I suggest you spend some time reading CheapRVLiving and threads here to see what others have done and get an idea as to what might work for you.

And don't forget youtube videos of folks who are travelling in SUVs.

First step - build a comfortable bed. You MUST have one. Given your height, most likely you need a long-ways bed. Don't build it out of 2x4s! too heavy and take up too much underbed space.

Second step - go camping in your SUV. Use the stuff you already have, go to thrift stores for anything you don't have. Remember, you can camp out in your driveway! Buy some totes to organize your stuff. You will quickly learn where and how you like your stuff organized. and which stuff isn't worth the space. Once these things are clear in your mind, then you can start to spend money and/or make semi-permanent modifications to your SUV. (Very few things are permanent mods in this life!)

Third step - consider getting some kind of portable outdoor shelter for extra room.

It is a great and creative adventure to figure out turning an SUV into a comfortable camper. Lots of fun ahead in the researching and making of it!

If you search this forum you will find some bed ideas. One used a cheap tube frame camping cot to make a flat sleeping surface by cutting the legs and sliding PVC pipe over them to level it on the uneven floor surfaces. Light weight and cheap so it might be a good way to start figuring out what will work for you.

^^^Having an arrangement to get a good nights sleep is all you really need to get started.

YouTube is great for this too! Maybe not for step-by-step but for ideas on what may be right for you.
As several other people mentioned, I also recommend going on a few extended car-camping (suv-camping?) trips or driveway camping trips with a temporary build and to get an idea of what you will need and what is acceptable to you before making a commitment to permanently overhauling your vehicle... If you are driveway camping try to access your house as little as possible just to keep it as nomad-like as possible.

a)
If I was me, I would:
* toss in some car-camping gear.
* go have fun.
Allow the conversion to evolve organically.
You may need less than you think.
2003, after a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we built our ExpeditionVehicle.
Our introduction might offer some ideas:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110.
b)
Apparently, or so I am informed, one of the principles hereabouts is 'over-riding'.
Apparently, over-riding has something to do with wearing your bloomers outside your trousers... a very 'snazzy' look based on the many thousands of positive comments I receive.
Daily.
Hopefully, a moderator will 'chime-in' with clarification.
c)
My suggestion to 'go have fun' also applies to commenting on this forum.
Within 'reasonable common-sense infringements', of course.

Last edited:
I have to ask.... what have you been doing for 2 years while you saved up? If it were me or my friend here, we'd have designed and redesigned the whole interior a few times, and read every thread I could find in here and watched every video I could find out there..

So.. that said.. .what is next is a lot of study and design work....

Living in a Van is challenging and frankly, at my own 6'4" I wouldn't even consider it, but that is me. Consider that once you are in the van you will be spending a fair amount of time on your knees. I have friends that do it, so it can be done... but... as someone above said, go live in it a week, make sure a few of those are rainy days, try to do a few days in the 90s...

Living as a nomad can be challenging to begin with... so as said above and here... lots of study and some dry runs.

You solar/juice needs will be particular to you, but by seeing what is working for others, you will gain a good idea of what you need.

Reflectix.

Suggestion for you since you want to see photos and videos of camping setups inside and out of an outlander.

Use two keywords “ camping Outlander”. Then in your search engine first use the search selection for “images”. When done looking at those you can use the search engine setting for “videos”. Using those selective search restrictions will bring up what you really want to see versus a lot of website text to sort through. Then if you want more info you can go to the website the images came from. It will save you vast amounts of time to search that way.

What kind of help you looking for? Seems there is more info needed. Lots of information on this website with searches and such suggested… there are numerous videos with ideas… at 5’10” I’d not have gone your route. But I’m old and stiff… haha! can you fit straight out from either of the front seats? Not sure your sleeping style. Can you spin your passenger seat? Starting with the bed is the most important thing. Good sleep is very important! Some folks can sleep in the car seat… try some basic set ups to see what your needs there might be.

If you’re looking for someone to design, plan and execute a build for you, franko, I don’t believe you will find that here.

I think the suggestion that you start with what you must have for a bed, and go from there, is an excellent one.

Many here suggest you mark out a space in your current residence that is the size and shape of your vehicle, and use that for planning, which is also a great idea.

If you are not already doing some short camping trips in your SUV, that is a great way to figure out exactly what you need.

Have fun, and post pictures as you go.

People will chime in with additional suggestions.

Mock up your space with cardboard to see how it all fits and if it will work for you.